Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Round 1 vs Adelaide Cows

Veterans List
    I thought the umpires were ok.
    McInerney was impressive. Very courageous player.
    The back line was very loose early but they only kicked 4 goals after the first quarter.
    Thought Gray played just a game but Taylor was very ordinary. Has lost a lot of his early career pace.
    Brand did a lot of spoiling and was serviceable. Better value than Melican.
    Florent has arrived and Rowbottom is not far behind.
    Papley was closely attended and largely negated after quarter time. With a bit of luck he could have had a few majors in the 1st quarter.
    Heeney is dangerous up forward but still did some good work around the ground.
    All round a good team effort and by the way McCartin will be even better with Buddy and Reid in the side.

I was really impressed with McInerney. 8 of his possessions were contested and he really had a go. Like others I was also happy with Crayfish, Brand, and Gray.

I can’t question Ronke’s effort but I’m yet to be convinced that he is best 22. An honest toiler.

Is it just me or is the difference between Aliir’s best and worst bigger than anyone else in our team? I’d love for him to improve his consistency in game.

Must say, I was pleasantly surprised with this game today. Showed enough, but ran out of steam in the 4th.

Keeping it in perspective we probably just beat a bottom 4 side, but the signs are there.

Also any win against the crows is a good day in my book.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Anyone still wishing we weren't playing this year?.

Great win, and I reckon the free kick statistics this year will be fascinating

Loved the team song - some great passion in it, boys look together as a group, probably enjoying just a chance to do what they love and play footy. I reckon Brand is going to be a really handy pick up for us.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post

Is it just me or is the difference between Aliir’s best and worst bigger than anyone else in our team? I’d love for him to improve his consistency in game.
    He does vary, doesn't he? But it would help if his nearest teammates could let him know when he's hot.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    Must say, I was pleasantly surprised with this game today. Showed enough, but ran out of steam in the 4th.

Keeping it in perspective we probably just beat a bottom 4 side, but the signs are there.

Also any win against the crows is a good day in my book.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    “Also any win against the crows is a good day in my book.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    What do you people think of Hayward. 4 possessions 1 tackle and 2 goals.
    Typical Hayward game. Looks like he should be a good footballer, but doesn't touch it.

I remember a game where he didn't touch it for 3 quarters, then got 3 touches in the last 10 minutes of the game... all of the 3 were goals.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The selection of McInerney took many (most?) of us by surprise, but it looks like an inspired selection. He clearly believes he belongs our there, which is the first tick for new players. He grew in confidence and effectiveness as the game went on, and had some pretty handy touches.
    Yep, a bright spot for me; particularly some good things under pressure.

I really enjoyed that. We ran out of steam/went too defensive in the last but it was a great win to start the season. Some of the kids are starting to look like players.

Veterans List
    It feels like we are a proper team now we have a ruckman. Naismith was really good around the good, too. He'd get votes from me.

Great intent all day. Bloody awful times - that was some welcome relief.

- - - Updated - - -

Just watched it: how @@@@ing good was that team song! Best in years.

Thought that was a really promising, positive performance.

Naismith’s return was huge. Really liked what I say of McInerney.

I’m also not a fan of Dawson’s current role. Hope he’ll play further forward as the year progresses.

One concerning stat given our dominance in clearances, contested possessions etc was that we lost the inside 50 count 45-41. That’s still a major problem.