Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 vs Essendon

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Time for Sinkers to step up, AGAIN. He's the man.
    He might not get the most hitouts but he is one of the gutsiest players I've watched.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Naismith in doubt with hamstring tightness! Knoll has just done his PCL too. Phark!
    FFS!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Meanwhile Darcy Cameron is apparently going to debut for the Pies.

- - - Updated - - -

Grrr. (But great for Darcy! And best wishes to him.)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

All the while big Darcy Cameron, who we gave away for a pack of chips, set to debut for the pies, a team in flag contention.

Great !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Poo.

Every about us that looked good in rd1 - our clearances, ball movement, offense - stems from Naismith’s tap work.

He was ok around the ground too; but his work in the middle was vital.

I thought he was our second most important player after Heeney.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Poo.

Every about us that looked good in rd1 - our clearances, ball movement, offense - stems from Naismith’s tap work.

I hope you are only partly right and some of it was a product of the new coaching setup. I agree Naismith is a very important player for us.

Veterans List
    May as well go and plonk a heap on the Injectors to win!

Little darlin', don't shed no tears
    No Ruckman, No Cry

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Little darlin', don't shed no tears
    No Ruckman, No Cry
    Time for the big Cox to make his debut in the red and white.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Poo.

Totally agree. Naismith is a very important player.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    In the absence of Sam, our midfield won't be getting much in the way of good service this week. We'll probably just play Sinkers (with Alir giving brief relief) against Bellchambers and McKernon - historically that match up results in them winning the hit outs.

The Bombers list has 5 players over 200cm, the Swans 2 - makes me wonder why some on here say Horse favors ruckmen?

At least the games in Sydney.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Contrary to what some may believe, I'm a big fan of Sam Naismith and think we're a better side with him in it. I've stated that many times. My only problem with Sam is that he hardly ever plays. It's tragic, as was the untimely death of his sister.

It's wonderful to have a great ruckman, like Brodie Grundy or Dean Cox, who match their skill with the ability to rock up and play almost every week. But what if you have a Nic Natanui or Matt Kreuzer, or a Leuenberger, where they just miss so many games. Unless you have a top flight backup, there's a lot of adjustment to make by the loss of such important players.

We've already tried going down the road of having quantity in ruckmen, but not necessarily quality. It's hard to get even one elite ruckman on the list, let alone 2 or 3.

I think it's a valid strategy to simply forego a game plan based around having a top flight stoppage ruckman. If you work on an alternative strategy, it can be perfected over time. I've argued this a long time, so I won't repeat the benefits again in this thread. I will just end by saying that basing a game plan on a quality ruckman is leaving a lot to chance. It's great if they play, but it leaves a big hole in the game plan when they don't.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Not sure what you mean about the Swans going after Quantity over Quality ruckman wise - surely you don't mean currently?

But agreed, investing in a single superstar/marquee player is good for marketing but by putting all your eggs in one basket, you increase the liability.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.