Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2020 Fixture (revamped)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Thats a very interesting view of the pandemic, and I tend to agree with you. If I paraphrase, in the long term, society cannot stop the spread of the disease, just down to human nature. Countries like Australia will follow europe. Countries like NZ who initially eradicated it (or WA, SA, TAS, NT) will eventually end up like Australia and Europe. They cant hold out forever.

I think the AFL has admitted as much by trying to condense the season while we can still play.

I hope the AFL doesnt give up once its in QLD, but rides ahead of the wave by moving to SA/WA until it has no where to go.

An interesting cross comparison is with our old friend Peter V'Landy's and the NRL. They arent moving, but will be operating tight hubs in effected areas. So if NSW and QLD go like Victoria, they will stay, but players isolated.
    Yes, for better or worse, it's just human nature. At the end of the day we aren't much different from people in other countries. Even without
    Covid there are hundreds of laws and rules to protect people from themselves and other people (drink driving, speeding, wearing
    seatbelts, using your phone while driving etc) and they are broken by someone about every five minutes and people often die because of it.
    Fortunately most footy fans have realised even any kind of remotely balanced draw is impossible to put together this year. Let's face it,
    there hasn't been a balanced draw since the VFL days, and there probably wasn't one then either come to think of it. From the Swans
    perspective the best thing that will come out of this year is that we'll get some more games into the likes of McCartin, Rowbottom, E Taylor
    and the other very young guys. Theoretically there are ten H & A games to go. If we could somehow win three or four of them that would
    be a great result. Besides, we don't really want to win an asterisk premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, for better or worse, it's just human nature. At the end of the day we aren't much different from people in other countries. Even without
    Covid there are hundreds of laws and rules to protect people from themselves and other people (drink driving, speeding, wearing
    seatbelts, using your phone while driving etc) and they are broken by someone about every five minutes and people often die because of it.
    Fortunately most footy fans have realised even any kind of remotely balanced draw is impossible to put together this year. Let's face it,
    there hasn't been a balanced draw since the VFL days, and there probably wasn't one then either come to think of it. From the Swans
    perspective the best thing that will come out of this year is that we'll get some more games into the likes of McCartin, Rowbottom, E Taylor
    and the other very young guys. Theoretically there are ten H & A games to go. If we could somehow win three or four of them that would
    be a great result. Besides, we don't really want to win an asterisk premiership.
    Swans are in the best position of any team in 2020, because all we need is game time. We dont care too much on the result. So game time, plus team building is our objectives.

its not so good for teams in the "window" like Geelong, Collingwood, Giants, who can easily go from contenders to nobodies based on a few injuries (due to compressed seasons), mental well being of players (due to hub/uncertainties), covid infection, or just bad luck. The window doesnt stay open forever.
    Richmond are also in the window, but probably dont care as much as they have a few flags in the bag already.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Swans are in the best position of any team in 2020, because all we need is game time. We dont care too much on the result. So game time, plus team building is our objectives.

its not so good for teams in the "window" like Geelong, Collingwood, Giants, who can easily go from contenders to nobodies based on a few injuries (due to compressed seasons), mental well being of players (due to hub/uncertainties), covid infection, or just bad luck. The window doesnt stay open forever.
    Richmond are also in the window, but probably dont care as much as they have a few flags in the bag already.
    We have a couple of disadvantages under the current arrangements (1) no NEAFL | second tier comp means we have less opportunity to get non-AFL games into those not in the side, although we appear to be using the AFL to get game time into our younger players that might not happen if they could still play NEAFL (2) we've lost a lot of coaching and development staff around the club, meaning the young side is potentially learning less during the week than in a normal year.

There's also the danger that we may have to jettison some developing players if they cut list sizes, which seems likely.

The balance of our fixture, except for R18, has been posted: https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/795086/afl-unveils-next-block-of-fixture.

Not as kind to us as the last one was. Over the coming rounds we play change venues every week from Perth, to Adelaide, to Cairns, to Gold Coast and back to Cairns. We have 5 day breaks between 4 consecutive rounds from R14-R17. Still, I'm not complaining. I imagine everyone is in pretty much the same boat. Anyway, not a critical season for us since we're not contenders.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Helps tighten the bonds within the list. Pity about E Taylor testosterone driven stupidity!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The balance of our fixture, except for R18, has been posted: https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/795086/afl-unveils-next-block-of-fixture.

Not as kind to us as the last one was. Over the coming rounds we play change venues every week from Perth, to Adelaide, to Cairns, to Gold Coast and back to Cairns. We have 5 day breaks between 4 consecutive rounds from R14-R17. Still, I'm not complaining. I imagine everyone is in pretty much the same boat. Anyway, not a critical season for us since we're not contenders.
    I'm disappointed because I thought once we were in the Cairns hub that we wouldn't have to travel and that we would play all games in Cairns. It feels like we are travelling more than other teams...but I'm probably being biased.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Helps tighten the bonds within the list. Pity about E Taylor testosterone driven stupidity!
    Agree with both parts of your comment.

The young players with no family responsibilities seem to be thriving in the hub life (excluding ET). And we have a majority of players like this.

Must be more difficult for the players (and coaches) who have left partners and small children behind - eg Buddy (6 month-old baby), Sam Reid (one year-old) Josh Kennedy (two small children).

If you had to guess what teams had the least travel for the remainder of the season, would it be the 3 Victorian powerhouses

Richmond: 3 games at Metricon plus 1 bye
    Collingwood: 3 at Gabba plus 1 bye
    Carlton: 3 at Metricon plus 1 at Gabba

Some things never change!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    If you had to guess what teams had the least travel for the remainder of the season, would it be the 3 Victorian powerhouses

Richmond: 3 games at Metricon plus 1 bye
    Collingwood: 3 at Gabba plus 1 bye
    Carlton: 3 at Metricon plus 1 at Gabba

Some things never change!
    Crikey! Is that a coincidence? I really hope it is. Sounds like quite a few coincidences though. ☹️

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345