Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd. 3 vs North Melbourne

Out : Gray, Hayward - Both players had poor games and offered nothing to assist our forwards in kicking a winning score

In : Melican, Clarke - Melican CHB, Brand to full back, Rampe to centre, Clarke to cover Higgins or Zeibell

bit of respect there

taggers in and play makers out

hmmmm who would have thought North would have that luxury while trading and recruiting in equally hard conditions ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    We aren't going to reach the GF so we might as well throw McCartin and Blakey in at the deep end. I think they are both capable of learning the hard way.

But we need some accurate kicking into the F50 if they are going to learn anything.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post

But we need some accurate kicking into the F50 ......
    Wouldn’t it be luverly!

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    The meltdowns on this board have certainly hit top gear quickly after the break.

We lost by 6 points. People played poorly for their first game in months. I understand that everyone is passionate and has a right to their own opinion but I think some need to take a breath and be grateful that we aren’t doing an autopsy as Crows, Bulldogs, or Weagles fans.

I’m not one for wholesale changes after one week. People deserve a chance to redeem. If they continue to struggle then you make a change. Therefore, for me, no change.
    I agree with this...Unless there needs to be a change, due to injury/soreness, let this squad have another crack.

Wholesale changes after a 1 goal loss, with little or no reserves form to warrant change......That sucks any confidence out..... That's unnecessary panic.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I’m not one for wholesale changes after one week. People deserve a chance to redeem. If they continue to struggle then you make a change. Therefore, for me, no change.
    Same. And I think history shows that the club are not prone to wholesale, reactive change. It's usually around round 6 when we get a sense of "where things are at" in general.

I agree with AB Swannie and ernie koala.

I also agree with most of what Ludwig has said.

My feeling is we're overreacting to a narrow loss. Sure, Essendon aren't world beaters, but Horse reckoned they played pretty well. And the reality is we are a young and inexperienced side in the middle of a rebuild and we are going to have to take a few losses on the chin.

The Dons were an opponent I felt we had to beat to maintain hope of making finals. I didn't have much hope we would make finals before the match and I have less now that we lost to them. I will be happy if we can win two of our next three and get to 3/5 after this section of the draw. However, it's probably more realistic that we may only win one of our next three. This would not lead me to despair in either our playing group or our coaches. It's a hot competition and we're a developing side. The experience we gain this year will stand us good stead in future seasons. I think a finish in the middle 6 of the competition at season's end will be a decent result for our team this year, outstanding if we make finals. I will be disappointed if we finish bottom 4.

I don't think we take anyone out of, or bring anyone into, defence. I think the only changes to be made (if any) would have to be in the front half of the ground. But even then I struggle to identify who gets dropped. Possibly Gray, although I agree we may be putting a premium on his experience. In this case, I see the logic of whoever it was that posted we could bring Clarke in for Gray. Clarke is significantly less experienced than Gray but has shown his abiility to play a negating role in the midfield that might be more valuable for us than another small forward. Those who didn't perform especially well need to be given time. Most of the underwhelming performers are young and what they need is experience, at AFL level. Ideally in a winning team, but we don't have that luxury.

What do people think about how Justin McInerney is playing? It has been a pleasant surprise to see him selected for Round 1 and hold his place for Round 2. He's just a second year player and was a third round draft pick that nobody saw coming - IIRC he was playing second division for his school in the first half of his draft year! I'm not expecting him to hold his place all season (then again I didn't foresee his selection for Round 1 either) but great to see us getting games into him and to watch him show his dare at AFL level.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

What do people think about how Justin McInerney is playing? It has been a pleasant surprise to see him selected for Round 1 and hold his place for Round 2. He's just a second year player and was a third round draft pick that nobody saw coming - IIRC he was playing second division for his school in the first half of his draft year! I'm not expecting him to hold his place all season (then again I didn't foresee his selection for Round 1 either) but great to see us getting games into him and to watch him show his dare at AFL level.

I think he is doing a good job given his age and lack of experience. Let him build his confidence and use his pace to take the game on and all of a sudden we might be able to find a leading forward instead of kicking down the line to a big pack. He is a bargain pick up

We have 28-30 going into 22.
    With Neafl on ice we need to rotate those last few, its not like we are changing up a settled team.

Melican has to play if fit, in the best 22 and allows others do so much more

Warming the Bench
    I thought we had too many smalls. I can't see a need to have all of Papley, Taylor, Gray and Hayward (not really a small) in the same team.

out: Gray or Hayward
    in: another tall - maybe McLean

These are the thoughts of Marc McGowan on afl.com.au:

Ben Ronke (knee) snuck in about 80 minutes' game time in a scratch match against the Giants' reserves at the weekend and is pushing to return. Sam Gray and Justin McInerney could be among the vulnerable Swans. Besides Ronke, No.4 draft pick Dylan Stephens, ex-Roo Ryan Clarke and contested beast Chad Warner are contenders. Recruit Kaiden Brand appears to be keeping Lewis Melican out of the side, while the experienced Robbie Fox and draftee Will Gould are other options.
    Verdict: Ronke for McInerney. - Marc McGowan

I agree with all of it except for the verdict. I don't like the idea of bringing in yet another small pressure forward at the expense of a different kind of player. If anyone is brought in it should be Clarke or Stephens, or possibly Warner if he has been really impressive. Such a pity we didn't get a report from the scratch match v GWS.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ronke in
    Contract year still gets match payments
    Keep him happy or he is gone

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast