Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Scratch Match Thread

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Here’s the view from the other mob which includes some info about our side too

Assuming they wrote about all the goals it looks like we kicked 5 goals to their 6. It was 3 goals to 2 going into the last period (game of three periods). Motlop kicked 4 goals, all of them in the final period. Which doesn’t match up with the Swans report of us losing by 18 points, unless they kicked a lot of behinds?

3 goals to McLean, 1 to their player Cox playing for us and one to Knoll

Match report: Youngsters shine in win over the Swans

I watched the port/swans scratchy.

My takeaways:

1. Taylor is noticeably out of shape. He has good skills and a good footy brain but spending such long periods on his haunches trying to recover is not good enough
    2. Grey was better, but his ball use is too hurried and messy. Also hates to tackle
    3. McLean, such a good deep forward. If that is the requirement then he is great. Struggling a bit around the ground and below the knees
    4. Stephens played the entire game as an inside mid. There is some truth that he is a bit slight at this time for that role. But he had some very good runs out of the middle. Gradually getting some more confidence with his kicking on the run.
    5. Chad Warner played inside mid. He is a solid lad, hard working. Over pre season I would slim him down a bit, try to up the zip but maintain the strength.
    6. Armatey solid without being special
    7. Gould, was solid and workman like. COR seems to break the lines a bit better, and attacks the ball better. Gould tends to be sitting deeper and moving the ball around the arc. Another one who needs another pre-season to slim him down a bit and gain a bit more pace. I wonder whether these new guys have fallen into the trap of bulking up too much.
    8. Ling, had some good patches. He does have some zip
    9. Rowles, wow this kid is quick. But his decision making and skills by hand are lacking. Having said that he does have a confident penetrating pass into the forward line which the swans lack.
    10. Foote. Very quiet game. After his wonderful debut he had a quiet seniors game and was dropped. He now has to fight hard given his contract expires.

Overall port were much fitter. It was obvious looking at the body types. The swans were pretty gassed by the last period and motlop took full advantage with guys like taylor too tired to follow them into the forward line.
    My revelation is that the swans need to change their pre-season training. Too many players are heavy rather than lean and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post

My takeaways:

1. Taylor is noticeably out of shape. He has good skills and a good footy brain but spending such long periods on his haunches trying to recover is not good enough
    2. Grey was better, but his ball use is too hurried and messy. Also hates to tackle
    3. McLean, such a good deep forward. If that is the requirement then he is great. Struggling a bit around the ground and below the knees
    4. Stephens played the entire game as an inside mid. There is some truth that he is a bit slight at this time for that role. But he had some very good runs out of the middle. Gradually getting some more confidence with his kicking on the run.
    5. Chad Warner played inside mid. He is a solid lad, hard working. Over pre season I would slim him down a bit, try to up the zip but maintain the strength.
    7. Gould, was solid and workman like. COR seems to break the lines a bit better, and attacks the ball better. Gould tends to be sitting deeper and moving the ball around the arc. Another one who needs another pre-season to slim him down a bit and gain a bit more pace. I wonder whether these new guys have fallen into the trap of bulking up too much.
    9. Rowles, wow this kid is quick. But his decision making and skills by hand are lacking. Having said that he does have a confident penetrating pass into the forward line which the swans lack.
    10. Foote. Very quiet game. After his wonderful debut he had a quiet seniors game and was dropped. He now has to fight hard given his contract expires.

Overall port were much fitter. It was obvious looking at the body types. The swans were pretty gassed by the last period and motlop took full advantage with guys like taylor too tired to follow them into the forward line.
    My revelation is that the swans need to change their pre-season training. Too many players are heavy rather than lean and quick.
    Thanks Barra. Insightful as always. How did O'Connor and Knolls look?

My takeaways:

thks Barra - just out of interest, how do you manage to see these games?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Thanks Barra. Insightful as always. How did O'Connor and Knolls look?
    Both pretty quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    thks Barra - just out of interest, how do you manage to see these games?
    The links to the videos are provided to player families. They are allowed to share them with friends and family. I get the link from a friend who is related to a player.

Regular in the Side
    Thanks for the insights Barra. It is great. For the 2021 pre season I would be recommending that the coaches should go back to what Dave Misson used to have the team do. Endless running up and down the sand hills at Kurnell. L Taylor and Gray are two who look they would have trouble passing a skinfold test so perhaps a double helping of sand hills for them as it looks like we might be stuck with them for another year. Might not do Buddy any harm either or Sam Reid for that matter.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Thanks for the insights Barra. It is great. For the 2021 pre season I would be recommending that the coaches should go back to what Dave Misson used to have the team do. Endless running up and down the sand hills at Kurnell. L Taylor and Gray are two who look they would have trouble passing a skinfold test so perhaps a double helping of sand hills for them as it looks like we might be stuck with them for another year. Might not do Buddy any harm either or Sam Reid for that matter.
    The Percy Cerutty approach.....I like it.

https://www.runnerstribe.com/wp-cont...6/10/Percy.jpg

That's Percy in front, leading the much younger squad.....what a legend!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Was that under the Roos era where we had very few injuries in 2005 and 2006?

Both pretty quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

The links to the videos are provided to player families. They are allowed to share them with friends and family. I get the link from a friend who is related to a player.
    That's great Barra. Thanks for sharing your insights as there are so many of us in here that crave as much ressie info as we can get!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Was that under the Roos era where we had very few injuries in 2005 and 2006?
    And Nathan Gibbs...best doc in any football code.

Regular in the Side
    Scratch match report: Fremantle v Sydney Dockers'Head of development Simon Eastaugh runs through how the Fremantle players fared in a scratch match against Sydney on Sunday at Cazaly's Stadium. Not much about our performance but got plenty (50!) photos at the Gallery there. Wonder when we can see our report from Laidler .

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314