Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFL Round 4 general discussion

Senior Player
    We should put Melbourne away next week.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    We should put Melbourne away next week.
    I admire your optimism. Swans got some major form / injury concerns. But in season 2020 anything* is possible.

*Except Adelaide making the eight

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I admire your optimism. Swans got some major form / injury concerns. But in season 2020 anything* is possible.

*Except Adelaide making the eight
    I really don't rate Goodwin. We shouldn't lose to them while they're playing under him.

Veterans List
    The only constant this season is the awfulness of the Crows, 11 scoring shots to 33, lucky it wasn't a 100 point beating. Being in Adelaide myself, this is the best.

Battle for the wooden spoon next week, Crows versus Freo with no Fyfe.

Hope the normal flakey Dees turn up next week, it is an odd numbered round and we've won our previos two of those.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The only constant this season is the awfulness of the Crows, 11 scoring shots to 33, lucky it wasn't a 100 point beating. Being in Adelaide myself, this is the best.
    I hear you.

Veterans List
    The short quarters sure are stifling scoring. The AFL must be hating it. No doubt we will go back to real footy next year. They have fiddled with the length of quarters previously and also rotations to fatigue players and increase scoring etc, etc. Lets hope the change merchants leave the game as it is.

I think the umpiring has been quite good and they are rarely penalising a player for hatching the footy. "My ball", ball it up and moving the game on.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I hear you.
    LOL, don't we know how insufferable it is in this town when the Crows are up and about, the fawning press makes me feel ill, but this year - bliss!

Crows have real problems, long term problems. A lot of senior players who, to to honest, are declining rapidly before their time and no outstanding young talent. Their past few drafts are looking like busts and you just know with their on and off field problems that the Vic clubs will be white anting draftees as I write! Got a strong draft hand this year but their list is in need of a significant injection of quality talent.

I won't say any more as this is the R4 thread not a general discussion thread

Senior Player
    I was reading somewhere that the WA teams are about to get seven weeks in a row of home games. If that's correct we should
    all spare a thought for all the Richmond supporters who are going to have to suffer through this incredible injustice.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Betts gave away the fifty because he ran forward of the mark before the umpire had called played on. The kick-in player is only deemed to have played on once he crosses one of the goalsquare lines. Saad started running a few steps before he crossed the line and Betts jumped the gone. However, the two Essendon players are meant to be attempting to clear the 10m zone when the kick-in is being taken. The fact they weren't meant that technically the umpire should have made Saad re-take the kick-in. They keyword here though is "attempting". They don't actually have to be clear of the zone when the kick-in is taken, but because they weren't attempting to, the umpire should have recalled it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Betts gave away the fifty because he ran forward of the mark before the umpire had called played on. The kick-in player is only deemed to have played on once he crosses one of the goalsquare lines. Saad started running a few steps before he crossed the line and Betts jumped the gone. However, the two Essendon players are meant to be attempting to clear the 10m zone when the kick-in is being taken. The fact they weren't meant that technically the umpire should have made Saad re-take the kick-in. They keyword here though is "attempting". They don't actually have to be clear of the zone when the kick-in is taken, but because they weren't attempting to, the umpire should have recalled it.
    Thx Ugg. You must be one of the rare people in the country who is actually well versed in the game's rules.

Bets didn't even interfere with the kicker, so it was a joke. Put the whistle away in the last few minutes.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Thanks ugg - that clarifies the situation. All we need now is an explanation from the ump as to why he ran at least 60 metres and maybe more past 50. But I'm not counting on it ...
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast