Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFL Round 4 general discussion

Senior Player
    Ah, the rules debate. So Clarkson reckons not enough HTB frees are paid per tackle:

'S---canning our brand': Clarkson unloads on AFL over poor fare for fans

And Gil (after coffee?) agrees with him:

'They should be pinged': AFL boss urges umps to pay holding the ball

When in fact, if this data is correct, recent years have seen an increase in HTB frees paid per tackle:

https://twitter.com/robharding21/sta...47086117572611

Like someone said, the plural of anecdote is not data.

The data is probably spot on and I cant for the life of me see why increasing of the holding the ball free is going to free up play. All it does is allow the defence to get reset down the line.

While watching a few of the games from the "good old days" during the footy shutdown - one thing i remembered noting at the time on this forum was that very few holding the ball frees were paid , even when a player just dropped it cold when caught. It certainly didnt leads to congested play, quite the opposite.

That kind of complaint , reeks of self interest for me. He's concentrating on a defensive tackling game plan and its not in his view being rewarded. Its nothing to do with making the game more attractive or freeing up congestion but it allows a team that gets the free to play a chip kick style of play more easily - I wonder who likes that style of play ?????

Clarko, the master deflector: Im going to blame the rules before someone blames me.
    Gill ,the dill: Ummmm, Ahhhh, what clarko said.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Ah, the rules debate. So Clarkson reckons not enough HTB frees are paid per tackle:

'S---canning our brand': Clarkson unloads on AFL over poor fare for fans

And Gil (after coffee?) agrees with him:

'They should be pinged': AFL boss urges umps to pay holding the ball

When in fact, if this data is correct, recent years have seen an increase in HTB frees paid per tackle:

https://twitter.com/robharding21/sta...47086117572611

Like someone said, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    The data is probably spot on and I cant for the life of me see why increasing of the holding the ball free is going to free up play. All it does is allow the defence to get reset down the line.

While watching a few of the games from the "good old days" during the footy shutdown - one thing i remembered noting at the time on this forum was that very few holding the ball frees were paid , even when a player just dropped it cold when caught. It certainly didnt leads to congested play, quite the opposite.

That kind of complaint , reeks of self interest for me. He's concentrating on a defensive tackling game plan and its not in his view being rewarded. Its nothing to do with making the game more attractive or freeing up congestion but it allows a team that gets the free to play a chip kick style of play more easily - I wonder who likes that style of play ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Clarko, the master deflector: Im going to blame the rules before someone blames me.
    All good posts - especially yours, neilfws!

As Gil said: "What would I know?"
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I'm getting tempted to go to a Suns game. That is, a Suns game in which they're not playing the Swans.

I have to say, I am in awe of Matt Rowell. It's unbelievable what he's come in and started doing as a first year player! Has this ever happened before? Sure it's only three games and it will be interesting to see how long he can keep it up but it's still incredible. He has single-handedly turned GCS around. Suddenly all their other talent makes them look like a dangerous team - but they've always had a lot of talented players and they've never before looked so dangerous. Still expecting them to fade a bit as the year goes on. They won at least 3 of their first 4 games last year. But they are surely going to do a fair bit better than last year.

If the Suns can surge up the ladder it's also going to make a few of their trading decisions look a bit smarter.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Gill learnt his conflict of interest approach from Eddie. Deplorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    =
    I was just thinking the other day that this is the first year where I've seen good, clear, consistent interpretation of holding the ball and prior opportunity.
    Maybe thats Clarko's problem. He doesnt want these egalitarian concepts, he wants "Free kick Hawthorn".

Suddenly the AFL's talk of the industry needing to be 'agile' is no longer just a catchphrase. All the clubs and the AFL really are going to have to be very nimble and flexible to get through to season's end.

Finally with the final question of his press conference a journalist asked Longmire about Mills in the midfield and if he might start there. His answer... yes we know he is a very good midfielder but he's a very good defender too and we would have to replace him there... having good defender's are pretty important.

Geeeeez John, what a surprise! No need to change things up as our side is looking sensational at the moment!... dominating in the middle!

I wonder if he realises that if we do have a dominant midfield we hopefully won't have to defend as much thus lessening the urgent need for another 'good defender'...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Finally with the final question of his press conference a journalist asked Longmire about Mills in the midfield and if he might start there. His answer... yes we know he is a very good midfielder but he's a very good defender too and we would have to replace him there... having good defender's are pretty important.

Geeeeez John, what a surprise! No need to change things up as our side is looking sensational at the moment!... dominating in the middle!

I wonder if he realises that if we do have a dominant midfield we hopefully won't have to defend as much thus lessening the urgent need for another 'good defender'...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Slightly gobsmacked that Horse said: “we think he can be a pretty good player in our midfield. We've always thought that.”

Defender or midfielder? Longmire ponders what to do with gun Swan

Yet he’s never seriously given him an opportunity there and our midfield has been THE weakness for years now. WTF?

Veterans List
    They should be paying incorrect disposal. So many times players just let the ball go when tackled, feigning knocked out in the tackle. You rarely see players actually making contact with the ball to dislodge it.

This priority opportunity thing; the close in way the game is played right now hardly gives a player time to think about disposing, let alone have an opportunity. If they follow this week's narrative we are going to get some horrible decision inconsistencies. Can't wait for the talking heads take on it on Monday.

By the way how about they pay throwing the ball more often. The Dogs simply throw the footy too often.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Slightly gobsmacked that Horse said: “we think he can be a pretty good player in our midfield. We've always thought that.”

Defender or midfielder? Longmire ponders what to do with gun Swan

Yet he’s never seriously given him an opportunity there and our midfield has been THE weakness for years now. WTF?
    Our defensive mind set isn't helping our cause right now. Grow some flair Johnny boy.

I know it takes time to develop a good defender, but we can say that about every position. Right now we need to win more ball and create more offence.

We have lots of defenders, but Longmire doesn't seem to want to play them. Jake Lloyd is still not a good defender, despite playing there for most of his time at the Swans. We're not going to develop the defence Longmire wants unless he puts some of these young players in the seniors and lets them get their feet wet. This is great year to do it, since it's really a practice/development season for us anyway. It took around a hundred games to train up players like Neville Jetta and Luke Brown (ADE) to become solid small defenders. But sometimes you have to do that.

We need to give Melican and O'Riordan senior game time to work through their deficiencies. Stoddart can also play off HB. So what if they make mistakes at this stage of their careers. We need to give someone a go, or we'll never have the defenders we want.

Let Mills and Dawson play in the midfield where they can contribute more to our attack.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast