Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 22 of 22

Thread: AFL Round Seven - General Discussion

  1. #13
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,015
    Good goal by Gray after the siren to win the match. It was lucky for him that he kicked it because a minute earlier he should have kicked a goal from the goal square but he handballed it to another player who missed.

  2. #14
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    5,320
    Haven’t seen any footy this weekend due to travel but have become concerned that LOLNorf have turned to mush and now hold our coveted pick2😡 Reports phoned through indicate that Hawthorn is sliding into the abyss of mediocrity and could see us win next week meaning we’ll now lose pick 3. I so have my heart set on a high pick before matching a bid for Campbell🤞

  3. #15
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Haven’t seen any footy this weekend due to travel but have become concerned that LOLNorf have turned to mush and now hold our coveted pick2😡 Reports phoned through indicate that Hawthorn is sliding into the abyss of mediocrity and could see us win next week meaning we’ll now lose pick 3. I so have my heart set on a high pick before matching a bid for Campbell🤞
    Don't forget Fremantle.

  4. #16
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    5,320
    Crows cringeworthy dreadful yet again!

  5. #17
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,498
    No free to air games in NSW Sunday, or even the single game on Monday? I guess the more lucrative shows were scheduled in advance, whatever they are.

    Wouldn't have minded seeing Blues v Port, sounded close with an exciting finish. Age headline "Saints survive..." - sounds more like they led the entire game, with just a sniff of a comeback from the Crows.

    Not exactly round 7 news, but our family had our first Auskick this weekend and had a great time!

  6. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Haven’t seen any footy this weekend due to travel but have become concerned that LOLNorf have turned to mush and now hold our coveted pick2😡 Reports phoned through indicate that Hawthorn is sliding into the abyss of mediocrity and could see us win next week meaning we’ll now lose pick 3. I so have my heart set on a high pick before matching a bid for Campbell🤞
    Campbell is going to be an interesting one. I genuinely have no idea where teams will bid on him. I think if it was a normal u18's season this year then he would attract a top 5 pick for sure. But I doubt we'll be sending him to anything but the compulsory events. With that lack of exposure I could see him dropping down a few draft boards and not attracting a top 10 bid while kids who can play in the SANFL and WAFL might push up just due to the extra time in the spotlight. In addition, there are a few highly ranked WA and SA lads, so Crows and Dockers could target them early on as well.

    It's speculation on my part, but I'm currently of the opinion that so long as we land a top 5 pick, we'll be able to use that normally and then match on Campbell and Gulden in the 15-30 range.

    I believe there's some sort of NAB U18 carnival happening this year, but that's only for the VIC teams isn't it? So will the academies even really get a chance to get together and play proper footy before the draft? Would any of the northern academies actually want them to play footy? I'd imagine all 3 (Gold Coast can just sign their kids without drafting them) would be quite happy just to put them through extra development programs and have their draft values fall.

  7. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedjosh View Post
    Campbell is going to be an interesting one. I genuinely have no idea where teams will bid on him. I think if it was a normal u18's season this year then he would attract a top 5 pick for sure. But I doubt we'll be sending him to anything but the compulsory events. With that lack of exposure I could see him dropping down a few draft boards and not attracting a top 10 bid while kids who can play in the SANFL and WAFL might push up just due to the extra time in the spotlight. In addition, there are a few highly ranked WA and SA lads, so Crows and Dockers could target them early on as well.

    It's speculation on my part, but I'm currently of the opinion that so long as we land a top 5 pick, we'll be able to use that normally and then match on Campbell and Gulden in the 15-30 range.

    I believe there's some sort of NAB U18 carnival happening this year, but that's only for the VIC teams isn't it? So will the academies even really get a chance to get together and play proper footy before the draft? Would any of the northern academies actually want them to play footy? I'd imagine all 3 (Gold Coast can just sign their kids without drafting them) would be quite happy just to put them through extra development programs and have their draft values fall.
    Without seeing Campbell play against the best of the Vics, WA and SA u18s in an Allies squad it would be highly unlikely that a club would select Campbell in top 5 so I would expect Swans to use their top 5 pick on another player then pick up Campbell after that probably in the 10-20 range.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #20
    “Draft guru” Cal Twomey reckons Campbell will go outside the top-10 and should be ready to play round 1 (which guarantees an injury now I’ve said it)

  9. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Without seeing Campbell play against the best of the Vics, WA and SA u18s in an Allies squad it would be highly unlikely that a club would select Campbell in top 5 so I would expect Swans to use their top 5 pick on another player then pick up Campbell after that probably in the 10-20 range.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Intention is for all four northern academies to play each other at least once . It looks doubtful that any nationals will be played .

    If Campbell tears it up in those games it will just solidify his standing , if he’s not so good then he will slip . That would suit the swans as he’s going there either way . Gulden is a possession machine and is one of those players that just finds the ball and he has elite endurance . His height will mean he will go lower but it hasn’t hurt him to date at any level .

  10. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Intention is for all four northern academies to play each other at least once . It looks doubtful that any nationals will be played .

    If Campbell tears it up in those games it will just solidify his standing , if he’s not so good then he will slip . That would suit the swans as he’s going there either way . Gulden is a possession machine and is one of those players that just finds the ball and he has elite endurance . His height will mean he will go lower but it hasn’t hurt him to date at any level .
    Dominating against the northern academies is one thing, dominating against Vic Metro, Vic Country, SA, and WA is a whole new challenge. Given he won’t get that chance I’d put my house on it he won’t go top 10. He’s a really good footballer but the clubs in southern states will play it safe and select the best kids they’ve seen numerous times over the last few years.
    But that is all good for the Swans. And at the end of the day it doesn’t matter where you are picked it is all about how you train then play when you get there. Plenty of top 10s don’t amount to much whilst there are rookie picks that become superstars.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO