Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Changes for Round 8 v Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Very encouraging signs. What had me smiling the most was the even contribution across the 22. Our bottom six of Gray, Bell, Stephens, E Taylor, L Taylor and Ling were all still good enough to earn games next week. How often have we been able to say that this year ?!?!!

On Rowbottom, for the umpteenth time - he is a great player when he has the ball, that has never been in doubt. But again, although it seemed like he was everywhere, he only had 18 touches, and only 2 of those were clearances, and was overtaken in this regard by Parker, Clarke and Florent. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong but I still don't see our future midfield leader when I look at him.

E Taylor's hands were so clean, Rampe magnificent, Papley our team-lifter, Parker our heart and soul, Reid our difference.
    Happy to bookmark the post and remind you umpteen times over the coming years Bloods about your comments with Rowbottom

He is ticking along perfectly well - take a look back at what JPK or Parker's stats were at the same time in their career and you'll see he is pretty much at the same point they were. Took Parker till his 4th season to hit an average of 5 clearances a game, and both Parker/Kennedy averaged the same sort of level of performance as Rowbottom is now in terms of disposals in their first few seasons. For a kid thrown into a team at the bottom of the cycle, he is doing more than his fair share, and its already clear he has an ability to work hard in the scrimmage and find space and time where most can't.

Look at how Florent has flourished from an outside mid (at least that's how I saw him) to someone that can play both inside and out. He was immense in that last quarter on the weekend - as the AFL article showed, 9 touches and 6 contested possesions. He is up to what about 50ish games now - I think Rowbottom is somewhere well in front of him in his development to the comparable point in Florent's career (i.e. 20 games in). I have every faith Rowbottom is going to be an outstanding footballer.
    Last edited by mcs; 26th July 2020 at 10:37 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011