Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 8 v Hawthorn

We know that Stoddart is fine in the skills department. The question is whether he can get enough of the ball and can he improve his decision making. His 16 disposals is a good sign that he can find the ball. Most young players take a while to adjust to the speed of the game and are prone to decision making errors under pressure. I noticed that with many of Stoddart's kicks he had little choice but to hoist the ball down field, and unfortunately there always seemed to be a GC player waiting for it. It wasn't that his disposal was poor. I think he can improve on his weaknesses and will become a good player once he has 20-30 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We know that Stoddart is fine in the skills department. The question is whether he can get enough of the ball and can he improve his decision making. His 16 disposals is a good sign that he can find the ball. Most young players take a while to adjust to the speed of the game and are prone to decision making errors under pressure. I noticed that with many of Stoddart's kicks he had little choice but to hoist the ball down field, and unfortunately there always seemed to be a GC player waiting for it. It wasn't that his disposal was poor. I think he can improve on his weaknesses and will become a good player once he has 20-30 games.
    Yes, with dump kicks under pressure, there's a large amount of luck involved. The two main options for a player, are often, to either hang on to the ball and probably get done for holding it, or get a quick handball to someone who may be under the same amount of pressure, which often just makes a turnover more likely. With human attention being what it is, the major thing occupying a player's mind, is the closing defenders, closely followed by nearby team mates. It's likely that downfield options are only vaguely glimpsed. But roosting the ball downfield, has the advantage that a possible turnover occurs further away from your defence. And if it happens to find a team mate, then you're just that little bit more likely to score. So, there is an advantage in trying a dump kick, but I tend to think that it's often luck, whether a player gets lauded for launching a successful attack, or derided for turning it over.

Actually, there's been a few games that I've watched this season, where I thought the main difference between the sides, was not effort, skill or umpiring, but how one side just seemed to have more luck, in whether their kicks under pressure, bounced into the arms of a grateful team mate.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, with dump kicks under pressure, there's a large amount of luck involved. The two main options for a player, are often, to either hang on to the ball and probably get done for holding it, or get a quick handball to someone who may be under the same amount of pressure, which often just makes a turnover more likely. With human attention being what it is, the major thing occupying a player's mind, is the closing defenders, closely followed by nearby team mates. It's likely that downfield options are only vaguely glimpsed. But roosting the ball downfield, has the advantage that a possible turnover occurs further away from your defence. And if it happens to find a team mate, then you're just that little bit more likely to score. So, there is an advantage in trying a dump kick, but I tend to think that it's often luck, whether a player gets lauded for launching a successful attack, or derided for turning it over.

Actually, there's been a few games that I've watched this season, where I thought the main difference between the sides, was not effort, skill or umpiring, but how one side just seemed to have more luck, in whether their kicks under pressure, bounced into the arms of a grateful team mate.
    Was thinking during the game how we had no luck in this regard. Also we kept getting in each other's way a lot. Trying too hard probably and a lot were not used to playing with each other. Work in progress but a little bit of luck doesn't hurt.

I see one of Mcinerny or Stoddard in the team but not both. Personally, I prefer Mc because he seems to have more speed and dash; attributes that we have lacked in recent years. Stoddard does not take the game on enough in my view, and certainly kicks to poor options too often at this stage in his career. Having said all of that, he probably did enough to hold his spot for next round. Looking at others, I can't see Blakey or Warner being retained in the side for next week. It would be great to get Reid back if he is ready and Allir (who seems to have a serious case of the fumbles at present) back in defence. I don't see Allir as a natural forward despite his 2 goals yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Blakey is the one who worries me. He's looking like a park footballer more and more.

Stoddart is a quandary for me. I was at the game yesterday and live he just looked a level below. Can’t knock his effort but whether it was nerves, pressure, or confidence, he just didn’t seem to have it. On the other hand, I also believe in giving young players a few goes so I’d be happy for him to stay as he might just need a few good moments to believe in himself before going to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Was thinking during the game how we had no luck in this regard. Also we kept getting in each other's way a lot. Trying too hard probably and a lot were not used to playing with each other. Work in progress but a little bit of luck doesn't hurt.
    Yes, there was a game earlier this year, I think it was the Essendon game, where it seemed that almost every deflected, spilt or spoilt ball, bounced into the arms of an Essendon player. It was doing my head in. Though I suppose that's one of the reasons that coaches emphasise two way running: to just slightly tilt the odds in your favour, when gathering loose balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I see one of Mcinerny or Stoddard in the team but not both. Personally, I prefer Mc because he seems to have more speed and dash; attributes that we have lacked in recent years. Stoddard does not take the game on enough in my view, and certainly kicks to poor options too often at this stage in his career.
    McInerney and Staddart are both very quick. I doubt if there's much between them in regard. Stoddart always takes the game on at NEAFL level, but when he tried it in his first couple AFL games, he found out quickly that it wasn't so easy. I like both p layers and there should be room in the side for both players if they continue to develop well.

I agree with Deja's comments that a lot of these kicks under pressure turn out to be a matter of luck. When a team is under intense pressure, like we were, the forwards tend to come up field and are drawn to the ball, leaving the space down field to the opposition. This is a prime reason for turnovers of this type.

If you watch other matches where the Swans aren't playing and the emotional element is not there, you'll see very much the same errors being committed by good players on good teams. We tend to be a bit too critical of our players, especially the young ones. We expect too much too soon.

I'm watching the Hawthorn Melbourne game and all the talk is about how much Petracca has improved. Well he was pick 2 in 2014. It's his sixth year. It's about time. Imagine what we would be saying about having an under-performing pick 2 in our side for 5 years.

McInerney and Staddart are both very quick. I doubt if there's much between them in regard. Stoddart always takes the game on at NEAFL level, but when he tried it in his first couple AFL games, he found out quickly that it wasn't so easy. I like both p layers and there should be room in the side for both players if they continue to develop well.

I agree with Deja's comments that a lot of these kicks under pressure turn out to be a matter of luck. When a team is under intense pressure, like we were, the forwards tend to come up field and are drawn to the ball, leaving the space down field to the opposition. This is a prime reason for turnovers of this type.

If you watch other matches where the Swans aren't playing and the emotional element is not there, you'll see very much the same errors being committed by good players on good teams. We tend to be a bit too critical of our players, especially the young ones. We expect too much too soon.

I'm watching the Hawthorn Melbourne game and all the talk is about how much Petracca has improved. Well he was pick 2 in 2014. It's his sixth year. It's about time. Imagine what we would be saying about having an under-performing pick 2 in our side for 5 years.
    Good point on Petracca. He is looking bloody good this year though. Bit of patience is sometimes required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Just saw a quote from Longmire after the scratch match. Says Reid will "hopefully be available next week".

Where is Ling at ? Put him in for Stoddard
    Blakey last chance but as a wing
    Warner for Squizzy or play him in position

COR Stoddard Warner
    Ling Reid Taylor

It’s not just luck, guys though of course this is a factor. The main problem is that our players downfield are not reading the play: put it down to experience I guess but it is no coincidence that 9 times out of 10 the kick under pressure is marked by an opposition player who is in the right position! Another point: when a defender is under pressure, his teammates behind him should call for the ball as they are mainly in the clear and then can pass to a player upfield or sideways to advantage. It’s pointless to just hoof the ball anywhere, hoping it will go to teammate-this is AFL not park football!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast