Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 8 v Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Where is Ling at ? Put him in for Stoddard
    Blakey last chance but as a wing
    Warner for Squizzy or play him in position

COR Stoddard Warner
    Ling Reid Taylor
    According to Barracudas scratch match report, Ling played managed minutes and didn’t put his hand up for selection.

They’ve tried Blakey on a wing more than once . It’s not working. He needs a spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Stoddart is a quandary for me. I was at the game yesterday and live he just looked a level below. Can’t knock his effort but whether it was nerves, pressure, or confidence, he just didn’t seem to have it. On the other hand, I also believe in giving young players a few goes so I’d be happy for him to stay as he might just need a few good moments to believe in himself before going to the next level.
    I thought yesterday was the first time he shown something. The kicking can improve no doubt, but I feel it was just nerves taking over. Just needs to take the game on a few times and learn. Worth persisting worth I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    I thought yesterday was the first time he shown something. The kicking can improve no doubt, but I feel it was just nerves taking over. Just needs to take the game on a few times and learn. Worth persisting worth I feel.
    I like Stoddart in Neafl. Takes the game on at that level and needs to bring it to the AFL. The same applies to McInerney, Foot and Ling. We really could do with one or two of these guys kicking on as we haven't had a really good running defender since Malceski and Kenneally.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Blakey is the one who worries me. He's looking like a park footballer more and more.
    Blakey's issues are mental/confidence related. He has the ability. He needs to settle himself down, especially with the ball in hand and extra-especially when kicking for goal.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Blakey's issues are mental/confidence related. He has the ability. He needs to settle himself down, especially with the ball in hand and extra-especially when kicking for goal.
    I suspect there is a combination of factors with Blakey. In the absence of senior tall forwards like Bud and Reid, Blakey would be getting the best defenders playing on him when he goes forward. I also think he's been trying to do too much at times and looks a little cooked. A rest in the twos might do him a world of good. In the meantime, hopefully we get Reid back and McCartin stays in. That way when Blakey comes back in, he plays as a third tall when forward and is released into the guts when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I suspect there is a combination of factors with Blakey. In the absence of senior tall forwards like Bud and Reid, Blakey would be getting the best defenders playing on him when he goes forward. I also think he's been trying to do too much at times and looks a little cooked. A rest in the twos might do him a world of good. In the meantime, hopefully we get Reid back and McCartin stays in. That way when Blakey comes back in, he plays as a third tall when forward and is released into the guts when needed.
    I think Blakey should play a deeper forward. He is getting completely lost playing high forward. The high forward role is a gut running, half attack half defensive role. He has never really defended in his life and trying to is messing him up. Elijah Taylor is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I think Blakey should play a deeper forward. He is getting completely lost playing high forward. The high forward role is a gut running, half attack half defensive role. He has never really defended in his life and trying to is messing him up. Elijah Taylor is the same.
    spot on. They can learn the chasing / defensive but Blakey and Taylor were probably the stars of their junior teams and always had offensive roles. You can't turn them into 'gut runners' who can run both ways overnight. They are used to demanding the ball - not chasing it. let them play a more natural role at this stage of their development

Veterans List
    We could be without O'Riordan, Hayward and Hewett. I wasn't aware that Hewett injured his back. He has a bulging disc so that's not a short term injury.

Reid and Melican will be available.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    We could be without O'Riordan, Hayward and Hewett. I wasn't aware that Hewett injured his back. He has a bulging disc so that's not a short term injury.

Hewitt would be a very big loss. Would be the one to shadow O' Meara. If this is the case, coach might have to bite the bullet and definitely play Mills in the middle.

I still reckon Blakey is a Half Forward with his speed

Mccartin takes a pack mark and has always had the potential too

Blakey, like Buddy (if only), is unable to run, jump and take a pack mark. Rarely does he even get in position to.

The way we are delivering it forward, Papley is the only one smart enough to react and get on an open lead.

Like all of them, they would do better with some experienced talls down there

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We know that Stoddart is fine in the skills department. The question is whether he can get enough of the ball and can he improve his decision making. His 16 disposals is a good sign that he can find the ball. Most young players take a while to adjust to the speed of the game and are prone to decision making errors under pressure. I noticed that with many of Stoddart's kicks he had little choice but to hoist the ball down field, and unfortunately there always seemed to be a GC player waiting for it. It wasn't that his disposal was poor. I think he can improve on his weaknesses and will become a good player once he has 20-30 games.
    I liked Stoddart's game, looked much more confident - unfortunately he continued to pick out Witts which was surprising as he is 7'2" and was wearing bright blue so it's not like he was hiding. Nevertheless, definitely worth persevering with for now.

I suspect given even Longmire was dissing Blakey he is indeed due for a break. Is literally giving us nothing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

Where did you hear this about Hewett and Hayward?

Out: O'Riordan, Gould, Blakey
    In: Reid, Taylor, McInerney

Bell for Stoddard if we want wholesale changes

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast