Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 10 v Pies

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    No his strength to take a tackle.
    Fair enough. Very promising player I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Why are we dumping Ling after two ok games?

Strongly agree with the other two changes. I wouldn't mind finding a way to spell Clarke too but I suspect we're getting a bit young.
    Not because I'm down on Ling but more because:

* he's been so-so;

* I'm conscious that he came into the team a bit underdone, has played two games and there's a short turnaround until our next game; and

* I'm keen to get some of the other youngsters who went out back in.

In short, I'm thinking he's had a taste and could use a spell. Much the same as some of the other youngsters. I also hear what barracuda is saying about ET and I agree he's skating by on his undoubted talent (which is hopefully going to take him far), and for the much the same reasons as with Ling, I'd be happy to see him replaced by Warner.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

* he's been so-so;

* I'm conscious that he came into the team a bit underdone, has played two games and there's a short turnaround until our next game; and

In short, I'm thinking he's had a taste and could use a spell. Much the same as some of the other youngsters. I also hear what barracuda is saying about ET and I agree he's skating by on his undoubted talent (which is hopefully going to take him far), and for the much the same reasons as with Ling, I'd be happy to see him replaced by Warner.
    Agree with all except Warner, he’s had a crack and unless he has demanded selection in the 2’s, I’d rather see someone new get a chance. Gould, Foote and Wicks all in line for a shot from what I’ve heard / read ( albeit limited info ). Amartey too. I’d rather see all of those get a shot before Warner gets a recall. He’s nowhere near senior ready to play on the ball , and playing him forward doesn’t do much for his development IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

* he's been so-so;

I'd rather see him learn on the job at this point. He shows promise and his performances don't suggest he needs a rest.

Also, none of the youngsters to which you refer play his position. He has O'Riordan's spot. I see it as a decision between those two. Is Colin fit? I'm losing track.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    If you watch mcinerney and Elijah Taylor carefully you will see they do not have the physical build to play AFL at this stage. You could teach them on the job and keep playing them but they will develop bad habits. How can it be good for Elijah Taylor to avoid any type of contact. Watch the game, it is pretty bad.
    They are kids and of course need toughening up. They both have ability and ideally you would play them in the 2s for a year or so but with only scratch matches available and not even capable able of fielding a full team sometimes, I don’t see the point.
    I would give all our youngsters a run of 5-6 games to give them a proper taste.
    Regarding winning games: as I said before, of course I’d like to win more but with our current injury list this is a tall order now so aren’t we better off preparing for next year? Our future lies with the kids and our draft picks later this year. As far as trading goes, can someone explain why we traded young Cameron who gets into a strong Collingwood side and yet we could only give him one game, when you don’t have to be a Rhodes scholar to know we have a huge hole in our ruck department. Maybe the MC know something we don’t, but it appears to have been a dumb move.

The changes I would make:

Out: Gray, Lewis Taylor, Elijah Taylor, Blakey, Sinclair, Clarke
    In: Amartey, Melican, Maibaum, O'Riordan, Wicks, Foot

Aliir, Reid and McCartin to play forward.

Let's try a new ruckman and key defenders. Nothing to lose.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The changes I would make:

Out: Gray, Lewis Taylor, Elijah Taylor, Blakey, Sinclair, Clarke
    In: Amartey, Melican, Maibaum, O'Riordan, Wicks, Foot

Aliir, Reid and McCartin to play forward.

Let's try a new ruckman and key defenders. Nothing to lose.
    I think you have missed Gould and Reynolds. Sinclair FWIW is probably a much better ruck than Amartey and the match committee would be aware of their relative strengths. The Taylors probably better than Wicks and Foot etc as well. Your outs have all been very ordinary but the ins most likely offer even less. Lets face facts that we have a large number of average players in our best 22 and even less accomplished players outside the 22. Blakey and ET in particular may need to be managed but doubt any replacements will be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I think you have missed Gould and Reynolds. Sinclair FWIW is probably a much better ruck than Amartey and the match committee would be aware of their relative strengths. The Taylors probably better than Wicks and Foot etc as well. Your outs have all been very ordinary but the ins most likely offer even less. Lets face facts that we have a large number of average players in our best 22 and even less accomplished players outside the 22. Blakey and ET in particular may need to be managed but doubt any replacements will be much better.
    It's not about being better, playing better or better players. It's trying something different and looking to the trade and draft period and 2021. No one would make these changes, but me.

I’m sort of with you on some of this stuff Ludwig:

Replace Blakey with Amartey and get Aliir and Amartey to ruck. Out goes Sinkers, bring in Gould / Melican / Maibaum.

Who’s the next ruckman we are up against? Grundy would carve up Sinkers anyway. Maybe AA and AM can beat him around the ground.

I would not persist with Gray or Clarke and bring in Stephens and Wicks.

I can see why Horse wanted a bigger interchange.

Did anyone else think he was quite deliberately swapping players around quarter by quarter much more than usual, and wondered if it was an educational tactic as much as an attempt to win the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    As far as trading goes, can someone explain why we traded young Cameron who gets into a strong Collingwood side and yet we could only give him one game, when you don’t have to be a Rhodes scholar to know we have a huge hole in our ruck department. Maybe the MC know something we don’t, but it appears to have been a dumb move.
    Cameron missed a considerable part of 2019, his last season with us, through injury - a knee injury at the beginning and a quad injury near the end which caused him to sit out at least 7 weeks.

The quad injury was particularly unfortunate as it coincided with Naismith’s ongoing absence and Sinclair’s’ season-ending shoulder injury. Had Cameron been available he would have played a block of games in the seniors at the end of 2019 - which in turn might have changed both his and the Swans attitude towards his future.

As it was he was out of contract end 2019 and requested the trade to Collingwood. Not much the Swans could do to force him to stay.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Cameron missed a considerable part of 2019, his last season with us, through injury - a knee injury at the beginning and a quad injury near the end which caused him to sit out at least 7 weeks.

The quad injury was particularly unfortunate as it coincided with Naismith’s ongoing absence and Sinclair’s’ season-ending shoulder injury. Had Cameron been available he would have played a block of games in the seniors at the end of 2019 - which in turn might have changed both his and the Swans attitude towards his future.

As it was he was out of contract end 2019 and requested the trade to Collingwood. Not much the Swans could do to force him to stay.
    Stop being rational and talking sense, Meg.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Thank you Meg-I hear you. Just one thing: by all reports, he was playing very well in the NEAFL prior to his injuries so the coaching staff would have known there was some potential there. With the lack of ruck power at our club it would have been sensible to offer him a 2 year contract which may have tempted him to stay. Rucks are probably more prone to injury then most other positions so it is prudent to have a bit of insurance-but hey, I’m only a long time supporter!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast