Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Final venue

I hope WA don’t get it. Would make the Eagles very tough to beat for the flag, the way they’re going at the moment. I could do without another Eagles flag personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I hope the Grand Final is a neutral venue in relation to the two sides who make it, though that will be likely to depend on the results of the prelims.

The AFL has moved the Grand Final before. The 1991 Grand Final was not at the MCG, but was at Waverley because the Southern Stand at the MCG was being rebuilt. (Waverley Park hosted 6 out of 7 finals in 1991, including one West Coast "home" final.)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

I hope WA get it. They did the hard yards to make this a pseudo national AFL competition at the start, and weren't even allowed to host their own finals in the first 10 or so years.

Best ground, most deserving.

Personally I'm not too fussed where the GF is held as situations can change quickly with this pandemic as the AFL have learnt, which they've done a remarkable job in getting the season to this point. They've managed to overcome many more obstacles & complexities than other sports, mainly due to majority of the competition being based in a state where it has effectively been cut off from the rest of the nation as a result of the 2nd wave.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Would be nice to host it in Brisbane or Perth and have a Victorian team lose to the local side

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Would be nice to host it in Brisbane or Perth and have a Victorian team lose to the local side
    If Brisbane get it, I feel it will just be viewed as pandering to the victorian teams again. ie. Richmond and co are based in Brisbane, and therefore the grand final is in Brisbane.

No doubt Perth and Adelaide have superior stadium, passionate fans, and long term partners of the AFL which should be rewarded.

Senior Player
    You'd think it would go to the state which they think is least likely to have an outbreak or high number of cases of the bug
    at the time of game. Probably best if there isn't a whole bunch of footy fans dying from the virus a few weeks after GF day.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If Brisbane get it, I feel it will just be viewed as pandering to the victorian teams again. ie. Richmond and co are based in Brisbane, and therefore the grand final is in Brisbane
    Mulder? Is that you? Conspiracy theory right up there with the moon landings being faked
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    No doubt Perth and Adelaide have superior stadium, passionate fans, and long term partners of the AFL which should be rewarded.
    Brisbane is technically a longer term partner with the AFL than the Crows as Brisbane were formed in 1986, the Crows not until 1990

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    You'd think it would go to the state which they think is least likely to have an outbreak or high number of cases of the bug
    at the time of game. Probably best if there isn't a whole bunch of footy fans dying from the virus a few weeks after GF day.
    How about the Australian Antarctic Territory? We’ve got responsibility for about 1/3 of Antarctica and there’s very few covid cases there

One plus for Perth and the AFL is that they can play the game by day and screen it live in the eastern states in the evening, maximising TV viewing audiences, due to the three hour time difference.

While everyone is talking about how superior the stadiums in Perth and Adelaide are, I can report that I saw the Giants-Lions final at the Gabba last season and the atmosphere was terrific! Passionate local crowd and a bit of a cauldron feeling where you can feel pretty close to the action. Even if the seats are not the latest and greatest and the capacity is less than those others.

I don't care a lot where it happens but will be glad it isn't the MCG.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    How about the Australian Antarctic Territory? We’ve got responsibility for about 1/3 of Antarctica and there’s very few covid cases there
    Well it's not a "traditional footy state" so playing the GF in Antarctica would be an opportunity to grow the game there. The average
    temperature there in October is about minus 8 so I guess there would be a few softies playing in long sleeves but nothing untoward.
    Possibly an alternative colour to white will be needed in marking out the ground. The AFL may need to add in another bye week
    after the prelims as I presume both teams would be travelling there by boat. Interesting that it hasn't been suggested before.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Especially if that Victorian side ended up higher on the ladder. The howls of injustice and total lack of awareness from Vic fans would be predictably hypocritical. It would be hilarious!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast