Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Final venue

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Apparently it’s been leaked that it will be the Gabba under the lights, at 7pm on October 24 ! Which is Cox plate day to, so the 7pm start time make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Apparently it’s been leaked that it will be the Gabba under the lights, at 7pm on October 24 ! Which is Cox plate day to, so the 7pm start time make sense.
    Why do the AFL care so much about avoiding a clash with horse rating, or is this a victorian government directive ?

Grand Final venue

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Why do the AFL care so much about avoiding a clash with horse rating, or is this a victorian government directive ?
    It’s pretty obvious. Lots of people follow horse racing barry. Probably more people than follow the AFL. Especially the spring carnival. Why would they want to run against another massive event and lose TV eyeballs ?

It’s pretty obvious. Lots of people follow horse racing barry. Probably more people than follow the AFL. Especially the spring carnival. Why would they want to run against another massive event and lose TV eyeballs ?
    Maybe in Victoria.
    Only the diehard TAB regulars in the other states.

Cox plate rated about 700,000 in 2018 which puts it on par with a half decent home & away game.

Maybe in Victoria.
    Only the diehard TAB regulars in the other states.

Cox plate rated about 700,000 in 2018 which puts it on par with a half decent home & away game.
    Even so, it makes sense to put the GF in its own time slot to maximise the TV ratings. Also both events are contracted to channel 7 , so surely they would’ve had a say as well.

Senior Player
    Daylight saving to take into account too, it will be an hour later (I think?) in NSW/VIC than Brisbane.

Sun sets around 6 pm in Brisbane that time of year, just enough time for the dew to settle

Apparently it couldn't be held in WA due to travel restrictions. West coast will, however host any finals they qualify for.

Travel restrictions for the hangers on?

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Daylight saving to take into account too, it will be an hour later (I think?) in NSW/VIC than Brisbane.

Sun sets around 6 pm in Brisbane that time of year, just enough time for the dew to settle
    Yes good point.

Apparently it couldn't be held in WA due to travel restrictions. West coast will, however host any finals they qualify for.

Travel restrictions for the hangers on?
    QLD’s role In saving the season has to have played a big part in the decision I feel. Wouldn’t surprise me if some promises were already made a while back when it became apparent QLD were the only state willing and able to host so many games.

Senior Player
    I think the AFL have been pretty keen to play the GF at night for a while now, and this year will give them an opportunity.
    If we were in it and guaranteed a win, I'd be okay with it being played at 2. AM.

Regular in the Side
    The sting in the tail is that the contract with the MCG for the Grand Final has now been extended to 2058.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast