Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grand Final venue

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Apparently it couldn't be held in WA due to travel restrictions. West coast will, however host any finals they qualify for.

Travel restrictions for the hangers on?
    I watched Gill's press conference (and there's 30 mins of my life I'll never get back) and basically he said Perth was ruled out for the
    GF because the strict 7 day quarantine rule in WA made it too hard, but said Perth was a possibility for a Week 1 final because of the
    bye week before the finals start. He also said Adelaide Oval was the back up venue for the GF if things in Qld went bad. Seems
    like a decent enough plan all things considered.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    The sting in the tail is that the contract with the MCG for the Grand Final has now been extended to 2058.
    Embarrassing blight on integrity of the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    QLD’s role In saving the season has to have played a big part in the decision I feel. Wouldn’t surprise me if some promises were already made a while back when it became apparent QLD were the only state willing and able to host so many games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NSW was willing too but the AFL decided not to play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    NSW was willing too but the AFL decided not to play here.
    Sure but more practical in QLD where there is less virus getting around. I don’t think NSW has every really been in the conversation.

I see in the paper the swans and giants are renewing the push for 3-series grand final.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...03-p55s0v.html

As all the old myths about it being "impossible" get proven wrong.

Victorian media going into overdrive to calm the locals, ensuring them this is a once-off event. Never to be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I see in the paper the swans and giants are renewing the push for 3-series grand final.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...03-p55s0v.html

As all the old myths about it being "impossible" get proven wrong.

Victorian media going into overdrive to calm the locals, ensuring them this is a once-off event. Never to be repeated.
    I don’t mind the idea of the GF being put to tender, maybe every second or third year. I doubt it would happen with the contract that is unfortunately in place for the next thirty odd years. Not sure why the MCG would go for it, even if they get paid to have it played elsewhere, there would be more money for them in keeping it.

I do really hate the idea of a best of 3 series though. I don’t think our game lends itself to that. GF’s are generally brutal. It’s not basketball where you can play every second or third day. And if the GF is played as a series, basketball style, then shouldn’t all the other lead up finals be played as series’ too ? Otherwise it’s unequal in that respect. Why should you only get one crack at making the GF but three cracks at winning it ?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I don’t mind the idea of the GF being put to tender, maybe every second or third year. I doubt it would happen with the contract that is unfortunately in place for the next thirty odd years. Not sure why the MCG would go for it, even if they get paid to have it played elsewhere, there would be more money for them in keeping it.

I do really hate the idea of a best of 3 series though. I don’t think our game lends itself to that. GF’s are generally brutal. It’s not basketball where you can play every second or third day. And if the GF is played as a series, basketball style, then shouldn’t all the other lead up finals be played as series’ too ? Otherwise it’s unequal in that respect. Why should you only get one crack at making the GF but three cracks at winning it ?

I absolutely agree re the best of three GFs. I think it's a bad idea for all the reasons you mentioned.

I'm ok with the MCG retaining the GF, too (despite supporting Sydney from Canberra). Having experienced a couple live, the opportunity to get back there for another is part of the motivation. It's the best stadium and gives the event it's unique sense of occasion. I suspect the players feel the same.

For those reasons, I find the GF debate a bit boring.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I absolutely agree re the best of three GFs. I think it's a bad idea for all the reasons you mentioned.

I'm ok with the MCG retaining the GF, too (despite supporting Sydney from Canberra). Having experienced a couple live, the opportunity to get back there for another is part of the motivation. It's the best stadium and gives the event it's unique sense of occasion. I suspect the players feel the same.

For those reasons, I find the GF debate a bit boring.
    Might be boring but GF at MCG till 2057 indisputably corrupts the national competition. As boring and as tedious my posts on this may be to some, I'm not prepared to pretend that it is ok.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Might be boring but GF at MCG till 2057 indisputably corrupts the national competition. As boring and as tedious my posts on this may be to some, I'm not prepared to pretend that it is ok.
    I meant generally.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I meant generally.
    No worries. Wasn't really singling you out. Just a real bugbear of mine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234