Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Final venue

Grand Final venue

Some interesting conversations coming out of the grand final debate recently.

Since NSW isnt going to host it, and very unlikely that any NSW based team would 'qualify' to host it, we can discuss in a neutral manner.

What I found very intresting was a comment I heard, where the Victorian sport minister was involved in deciding the venue. Surely this is an AFL matter, or is the code owned by the victorian government?

There is also a political play here, in that the MCG and Victorian do not really want a "successful" grand final, as it will put more pressure on the MCG deal, and they do not really want a situation where the venue can be decided very late, because again, it will showcase the ability to 'earn hosting rights' to the grand final.

So the options are:
    1) Gabba - While QLD has helped the AFL, I'm not sure this is really a strong case. I can see the AFL giving them the preliminary finals, but not the grand final.
    2) Optus Oval - Probably the most likely venue to actually host a full house since they have no border to Victoria. And WA was the first established state to join the VFL, and had to put up with many finals in Melbourne in the early years. So they also deserve it.
    3) Adedlaide Oval - Another great venue to host it, and Port look like being No.1 team, and therefore earning it.

I hope the AFL delay the decision until the teams are decided, even if this means a two week period between prelims and granny. And whoever is the higher qualifier of Brisbane, West Coast or Port, gets it. There must be a lot less to organise this year.

Without Queensland’s help , there would be no GF. I think they have to get it, they’ve saved the season and saved the AFL a very significant amount of money. It would be a huge slap if they weren’t rewarded with the Jewel in the crown after everything they’ve done. It would be like donating a kidney to your dying uncle and they getting left out of the will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Without Queensland’s help , there would be no GF. I think they have to get it, they’ve saved the season and saved the AFL a very significant amount of money. It would be a huge slap if they weren’t rewarded with the Jewel in the crown after everything they’ve done. It would be like donating a kidney to your dying uncle and then getting left out of the will.
    Agree....if I was to write my thoughts on this matter, that would pretty much be it. Queensland definitely saved the season. We owe them.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Agree....if I was to write my thoughts on this matter, that would pretty much be it. Queensland definitely saved the season. We owe them.
    Hopefully the deeply ingrained sense of entitlement of the so-called southern footy states doesn't get it in the way. I see the west Australians
    are already rattling on about Perth having a bigger stadium and it being a "footy mad" city.

I think the AFL has perpetuated the myth that the grand final needs weeks (or years) of planning if you change venue, which of course is used to justify the MCG 50 year deal.
    I'm not buying it. Especially this year.

Veterans List
    Those of us who rightly believe Brisbane should be rewarded with the GF may end up disappointed. With the AFL announcing that they are deciding who gets the game some time next week and the new restrictions just announced in and around Brisbane, their fate and Perth's good fortune may now be sealed. Had today's Covid events in Queensland not happened, surely Brisbane was going to be the one.

Get ready for feral finals crowds folks!

Darwin would be OK

Player 4, NSW, has entered the game again!.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Darwin would be OK
    How good did that ground look last night.....like a carpet. It's a superb surface.....although stands might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Darwin would be OK
    Going on the quality of last nights game, I hope not. They normally avoid playing there after July due to the humidity apparently. You can see why.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Going on the quality of last nights game, I hope not. They normally avoid playing there after July due to the humidity apparently. You can see why.

Thought last night would be an entertaining game but it was a shocker, wasn't it? Watching Carlton win didn't help! Even though the weather was fine, the ground seemed very slippery.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think the AFL has perpetuated the myth that the grand final needs weeks (or years) of planning if you change venue, which of course is used to justify the MCG 50 year deal.
    I'm not buying it. Especially this year.
    The issue with the grand final going forward is that it is effectively owned by the Vic government. They bought it in 2017 for the next
    40 years. It's not a lot different to them buying the Grand Prix and the Australian Open tennis. The idea of the grand final needing months/
    years of planning is utter BS. Major rock festival sites can cover ten times amount of real estate a stadium takes up, are 12-14 hour
    events and can be built from scratch (ie bare ground) in about two weeks, sometimes less.
    Last edited by KTigers; 23rd August 2020 at 09:46 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast