Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 12 v Giants

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    They need to be ultra consistent. They have each had several really bad matches this year. I think Luke is a wonderful leader for the most part. But his consistency has suffered this year as more and more young players are present. His decision making, once a really good part of his game, has suffered. He is pivotal to keeping the young blokes in the mids grounded with Joey out.

Mills move to the mids has been difficult because the coaching staff did not put him with the mids group preseason. I realise this is hard for him but he is another player with big talent that needs to show consistent form and help the young blokes. Maturity is needed from him. I did not say they were not good enough as leaders I said they needed to be consistently good to display that leadership. We need them consistently leading by example and games of 12 disposals is not doing that.

Great leaders are consistently leading by example. Hodge, Matthews, Kirk, Kelly, Bartel, Jesulenko, Harley, Kennedy, Swift, Dean & Hart, Bagshaw (Sturt 6 premierships), Carey (Glenelg 3 premierships). These are all players who were consistently good during their whole career. They rarely played a bad game and if they were not playing to their standard they directed play, did the hard things like laying hard tackles and grunt work and still had a presence.

We need to develop that attitude that wins multiple premierships. Hardness. We only have one person on our coaching staff that has won more than one premiership, Blakey. We need to get a coach on staff that knows what hardness in a football club is. If we are to have a successful era, more than premiership, then we need to change the attitude of the club. I believe that Leigh Matthews is still the best coach to ever coach the game. He is also very aware of how the game is played today. Even if we brought him onboard as a Coaches Adviser this would be good as he is a winner. If you want success you have to do everything you can to make sure you get success. You cannot hold stupid grudges and say no way to certain people. I would gladly welcome Luke Hodge as an assistant coach or technical advisor. He has incredible knowledge and has the ability to impart that knowledge.

Don't misread what I have said. My point was about consistency. Last year Luke had several games early that were disappointing. Same Milsie. We need to develop consistency into our group as that is what wins premiership, not champion players. A champion team sometimes may not have a particular standout player, Richmond are a good example, but as a group they are incredibly consistent. Hawks had Buddy but they won 2 more without him. Without a super star. Why? Consistency and hardness.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Steve Johnson- 3 flags I believe

Senior Player
    I don't entirely agree. I think Rowie has gone to a new level. I thjnn the senior players have been inconsistent. If they are not good enough to beat their opponents then they are not good enough to play in a, or in the case of Luke, another premiership. They must consistently win their positions to be a member of a team heading for glory.

If we follow this argument, we'll have no players left. Say Parker is our best midfielder. Say each week he goes up against the best midfielder
    from the opposition team. How many of these contests is he going to win? I hate to say it, but not even close to half. If we had more guys
    that could beat their opponents we wouldn't be 3-and-7 and 17th on the ladder. We can't just keep dropping senior players because they
    are not going to help us win a premiership. We're going to run out of guys on our list.

L Taylor and McInerney in for Melican and E Taylor

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Melican had his moments but the reality is this, he was drafted as the third tall back not a 1 or 2 key back. His role was to play on the Gunton style player. But unfortunately due to problems with tallbacks he has had to play on the monsters.
    Third tall back? Melican is 195cm tall and 98kg. He shoudl be playing on monsters, I don't think Guntan is any better a match for him that he was for Heath Gundy
    The Pelican's injuries have undoubtedly affected his progress, but I suspect so too has Horse's tendency to allocate the Great Dane up against the monsters.
    Frankly, I'd prefer to see Lewis play on the monsters for the rest of this season, to see what he can do, rather than give those jobs to a one-handed Rampe (it's not as if we're gonna make the finals).

Did anyone catch the graphic during the Collingwood game about centre bounce attendance?
    Last year out top 5 (in order) were
    JPK, Parker, Hewett, Heeney and Jones
    The more centre square experience we get into Rowbotton, Florent and Mills the better we shall be when 4 of last years top 5 are available again.
    I'd love to see it taken further, lets see Bell and Warner (he's less than a year younger that Rowbottom) a chance at the bounce before the seasons out.

Suspended by the MRP
    I don't entirely agree. I think Rowie has gone to a new level. I thjnn the senior players have been inconsistent. If they are not good enough to beat their opponents then they are not good enough to play in a, or in the case of Luke, another premiership. They must consistently win their positions to be a member of a team heading for glory.

Even if the senior players have been inconsistent, which I don't agree with at all, especially in the case of our two co-captains, what are we to do?? Drop them? Trade them? This team can ill afford to be ousting quality senior players. The youth is not good enough for that. Rowbottom might have gone to another level but that level is not Parker, Rampe, Papley, Mills or Lloyd's level. You are under-selling what these players bring to our team, as they have virtually carried the team for most of the season.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I must say it's a strange one. We are at 3-7, yet the bone you have to pick is with some of the few very good players we actually have in this team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    L Taylor and McInerney in for Melican and E Taylor
    Relieved to see McInerney back - a player of promise with real pace I reckon.

I agree re Amartey and Knoll and playing Amartey is a good option. Somehow though I really feel Longmire has lost this group. Poor performances by experienced players who are normally very good is telling a story.

😆 😂 😜 It must be all the videos we see at training or when debutants get named and all the players are jovial and look like they’re enjoying themselves with Longmire that gives you this impression.

Seriously, it’s getting laughable at how you and others on here can keep this narrative regarding Longmire alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    That wasn’t the team selection was it? Speculation on Longmile’s part

I'm hoping for:

In: McInerney, Blakey
    Out: Taylor, Ling

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Sorry- fixture has me confused! Love to see McInerney come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Sorry, a very forward post! Just speculation.

Would love to see McInerney back, thought he played well this year and was perplexed when he was dropped and then not returned. Melican looks poor and Aliir looks lost as a forward and over being moved all around the park. Put Aliir down back and L.Taylor up forward.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    😆 😂 😜 It must be all the videos we see at training or when debutants get named and all the players are jovial and look like they’re enjoying themselves with Longmire that gives you this impression.

Seriously, it’s getting laughable at how you and others on here can keep this narrative regarding Longmire alive.
    Yes, I had a giggle when I read that bit about 'losing the group'.....a bit of a headshaker that one. Wolfie's howlin' at the wind again.😑

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast