Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 12 v Giants

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    What sticks with me is when he was on the bench during the last quarter, head down, with kirk trying to console him. I think he is quite a fragile character who easily loses confidence. Yes he will be very good, but getting him there is a careful process. On any analysis he is avoiding any body contact, he shirks collisions, and his tackles are soft. In my view playing him again would destroy his confidence even further and drive him away. Other than Kirk who has made Taylor his special project, the other coaches are pretty brutal and he no doubt would have got a very blunt review. The best thing for his long term development would be to run out the year in the twos focusing on the basics like body work and tackling. Then next year build him back to seniors after a solid pre-season adding extra bulk and speed. There is nothing to be gained continuing to play him in seniors with a "sink or swim" approach. Given his nature there is a very high probability he will sink.

I should add that we are seeing some of the concerns about Elijah pre draft, that he may struggle with resilience. This was the issue not a couple of beers.

And he is mickey o in the making but needs a modern nurturing approach.
    I certainly agree with your analysis on ET. I've said pretty much the same. Your solution is also probably the right way to go. I hope we can turn him into a real footballer, not just a wasted talent.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    What sticks with me is when he was on the bench during the last quarter, head down, with kirk trying to console him. I think he is quite a fragile character who easily loses confidence. Yes he will be very good, but getting him there is a careful process. On any analysis he is avoiding any body contact, he shirks collisions, and his tackles are soft. In my view playing him again would destroy his confidence even further and drive him away. Other than Kirk who has made Taylor his special project, the other coaches are pretty brutal and he no doubt would have got a very blunt review. The best thing for his long term development would be to run out the year in the twos focusing on the basics like body work and tackling. Then next year build him back to seniors after a solid pre-season adding extra bulk and speed. There is nothing to be gained continuing to play him in seniors with a "sink or swim" approach. Given his nature there is a very high probability he will sink.

I should add that we are seeing some of the concerns about Elijah pre draft, that he may struggle with resilience. This was the issue not a couple of beers.

And he is mickey o in the making but needs a modern nurturing approach.
    Excellent post.

Agree with everything except the Micky O comparison. I watched Micky O from day 1 and never once accused him of being soft at the football.

Veterans List
    Coaches will know exactly what is the correct approach with ET, whatever that is it will be done with his long term future in mind.

About time we saw Will Gould, physically ready as he played very good footy at senior SANFL level last year.

Selection night so much more exciting with left field selections every week.

Veterans List
    All the draftees from last year have played....except Gould. He was more ready for seniors than any of them.....time to see what he's got.

Melican just back, and if Brand is fit, I would be happy to see him back against the physical GWS.

Gould can wait a little longer as the season is not finished yet

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    All the draftees from last year have played....except Gould. He was more ready for seniors than any of them.....time to see what he's got.
    Nearly 20 touches in a SANFL GF.....more than ready

There must be good reason for Gould to not have debuted yet. There is no doubt that he seems strong enough but perhaps his fitness isn’t quite there. I don’t know for sure but given so many others have been afforded a chance, one can only guess that there is something that he needs to do before being picked. It might just mean that when he does get his chance he will have the best opportunity to succeed.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Coaches will know exactly what is the correct approach with ET, whatever that is it will be done with his long term future in mind.

About time we saw Will Gould, physically ready as he played very good footy at senior SANFL level last year.

Selection night so much more exciting with left field selections every week.
    Knoll came to us having done really well in the SANFL WAFL game, and even with all or ruck woes he spent the season in the 2's (and then in the injury room).

So performance in other leagues may not have a great deal of relevance to getting a game in the firsts

Brand is still 3-4 weeks away.

My hope with Gould is that the club is planning that when he comes into the side, that will be it, so they are potentially making him reach a higher standard than others who have already debuted.

In the spirit of not giving away free games:
    In: Gould Blakey
    Out: Aliir Taylor
    Leaves no Western Australians.

Aliir needs a break. His mobility was clearly effected the other night. Perhaps rucking has taken it's toll. Blakey back in for Taylor. There are alot of things I like about Taylor and I think he will be a star for us. But he needs to learn how to tackle.

Regular in the Side
    Foot was seen in quite a few photos of Swans in Perth. Will he debut on Thursday? By the way it was mentioned in the Social Media that our next hub after Perth would be Cairns. Very difficult for our team

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Foot was seen in quite a few photos of Swans in Perth. Will he debut on Thursday? By the way it was mentioned in the Social Media that our next hub after Perth would be Cairns. Very difficult for our team
    Good call. You might have hit the nail on the head.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast