Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 13 vs Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Aliir is struggling to find a role and is more of an interceptor than a one on one defender, which is Rampe's forte (he almost never loses a contest), plus AA was injured. I'm genuinely intrigued to see how the club covers for the absence of Rampe, particularly as Freo have been playing Fyfe forward.
    I don't think Aliir is struggling to find a role, but rather that he's been moved around a lot to cover our weaknesses in the forward line and the ruck. I don't know how we will cover the Rampe loss, but imagine that for one, Aliir will come in if he's fit.

It's more the loss of leadership in defence that will come under pressure. In this regard, it would seem that Mills will be the one to take over that role from Rampe. So it will fall on Mills and Lloyd to organise the defence in the absence of Rampe.

Freo have a couple of quite tall forwards in Lobb and Taberner, we should see another tall defender if Aliir remains out. That would leave Melican and a debutant to cover their talls. Tough one.

There is also the possibilty of Reid playing in defence, who would add both size and experience. Then we might see someone like Amartey come in to take his place in the forward line.

Maybe we will get filled in on what to expect after the injury report comes out (probably) later today.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 18th August 2020 at 01:07 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    From the Swans press conference just now: the plate in Rampe's hand has dislodged and he is out for the season.

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/stat...22604095176705

Rampe suffers injury blow
    When he took his one handed mark of the match. He was wringing his hand after that......ouch! Not good news.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Shocking news - we can't take a trick.
    In Rampe's case it looks less like bad luck and more like bad management. He played on with an injury so we can hardly be surprised unfortunately 😢.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Astute observation, Maubaum is probably the best one on one of those three. AA tends to float around a bit, Gould is not quite quick enough.
    Gould not quick enough? Haven't you seen his highlights reel?

That's terrible news.

Fortunately in 2020 we are not contending for a premiership, so the glass can be half full. It gives another young player (Manchild-Gould) an opportunity. It will also help us think about how we prepare for life AD (after-Dane). The JPK and Hewett injuries have had an upside.
    Yes, it does give an opportunity for Gould or Maibaum, and generally our youngsters have been coping. Though for Rampe, it will probably cost him a Skilton Medal and an All-Australian spot. I certainly would have him the current clear leader in the Skilton.

Rampe was faced with an impossible choice, either stop playing and let the hand heal, or play on and take the risk... either way he was in danger of missing a large chunk of the season.

I just hope he hasn't done any permanent damage.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    In Rampe's case it looks less like bad luck and more like bad management. He played on with an injury so we can hardly be surprised unfortunately .
    The surgeon who operated on Rampe’s hand cleared him to play - so it wasn’t bad management that he has been playing with the injury. It would be if he continued to play on now after re-injuring it (as Longmire said Dane wanted to do).

I wonder if he will come back to Sydney for the operation with the same surgeon and then stay in Sydney. His situation in regard to having an operation and then rejoining the club might be complicated by quarantine requirements I think (both currently in WA and going forward in Qld).

It will be a double blow if the players lose him as an off-field leader as well as losing him as a player.

Barracuda, could Fox play on Fyfe? I imagine he's going to be a difficult match up, like Dangerfield, who did a number on Rampe in that final a few years ago
    I'm not sure, Fox could out run fyfe but struggle managing fyfe's bigger body

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Gould not quick enough? Haven't you seen his highlights reel?
    Yes, and I have been fortunate to watch all the scratch matches. Gould is awesome, don't get me wrong, and I hope he debuts. But this year he has not been as quick as rampe or maubaum when his player breaks on the lead. Both rampe and maubaum have the closing speed over a short distance. Gould not quite as much. Yet! Having said all that I would be stoked if he debuted.

Veterans List
    Gould's non appearance so far has had me baffled, on what he did at SANFL level, including the Premiership, he looked a monty for an early debut.

We've got a lot gone for the year now, should be opportunities for more debutants.

Barra, how is Barry O'Connor going in the scratchies?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The surgeon who operated on Rampe’s hand cleared him to play - so it wasn’t bad management that he has been playing with the injury. It would be if he continued to play on now after re-injuring it (as Longmire said Dane wanted to do).

I wonder if he will come back to Sydney for the operation with the same surgeon and then stay in Sydney. His situation in regard to having an operation and then rejoining the club might be complicated by quarantine requirements I think (both currently in WA and going forward in Qld).

It will be a double blow if the players lose him as an off-field leader as well as losing him as a player.
    Good point.

No Joey. No Dane. I'd be looking over my shoulder if I were Luke Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Gould's non appearance so far has had me baffled, on what he did at SANFL level, including the Premiership, he looked a monty for an early debut.

We've got a lot gone for the year now, should be opportunities for more debutants. ...
    It sounded from Horse's presser today that we would be seeing more of the younger players, and he specifically mentions Will Gould. I'd be really pleased to see him in the team soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

We've got a lot gone for the year now, should be opportunities for more debutants.

Barra, how is Barry O'Connor going in the scratchies?
    He had an awesome game early on and then has played solid developmental football. Not AFL ready yet.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast