Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 13 vs Fremantle

I checked out Freo's injury list. I didn't realise that their top 3 KPDs are all out injured, plus promising running defender Hayden Young. They have a lot of KPPs. Jesse Hogan is not injured but not playing senior footy, having not kicked a goal in his 3 games this year. They also have Cam McCarthy, who hasn't played since round 1.

They have so many forwards and defenders, but not many midfielders. They're lucky that Mundy is still playing well at 35, as well as drafting ready made mid Caleb Serong, who has had a great start.

Sam Flanders was okay in his 2 games for GC, and also looks ready to play in his first year. We passed up on Serong and Flanders to get Stephens, who is also coming along nicely. The 2019 draft is looking strong so far.

Going to the draft the past couple of years has given us a good crop of players to fill in for our injured stars.

Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Foot, Wicks, Stephens, Gould, Warner and ET*. 9 players in 2 years that can make it. That's a pretty decent haul.

*Opinion pending upon further review.

Regular in the Side
    I think Horse said we had nine players gone for the year. I can count eight, Rampe, E Taylor, Heeney, Hewett, Naismith, Ronke, Stoddart and Reynolds. I am wondering who the ninth might be. Kennedy, Franklin, Brand, Amartey and Aliir are all injured but not necessarily for the year, Maibaum did not play in the last scratch match and Knoll is just back from a serious injury. Is one of these also ruled out for the year by Horse?

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I think Horse said we had nine players gone for the year. I can count eight, Rampe, E Taylor, Heeney, Hewett, Naismith, Ronke, Stoddart and Reynolds. I am wondering who the ninth might be. Kennedy, Franklin, Brand, Amartey and Aliir are all injured but not necessarily for the year, Maibaum did not play in the last scratch match and Knoll is just back from a serious injury. Is one of these also ruled out for the year by Horse?
    He's probably counting Franklin in the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    He's probably counting Franklin in the 9.
    On what basis do you make that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    On what basis do you make that statement?
    On the basis that the other possibilities seem likely to be available at some time in the near future and there is he's already 'overdue' for his original projected return date. He's still listed as indefinite with only 6 games remaining.

It's also possible that Longmire is not good at counting.

Regular in the Side
    https://www.afl.com.au/matches/injury-list updated today has Buddy listed as Indefinite and then 8 others as "Season"

Regular in the Side
    There is also the possibility of Reid playing in defence, who would add both size and experience. Then we might see someone like Amartey come in to take his place in the forward line.
    _ I like this idea. Unfortunately, we don't have much transparency of the "injuries" of Amartey and Aliir mentioned previously.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Yes, and I have been fortunate to watch all the scratch matches. Gould is awesome, don't get me wrong, and I hope he debuts. But this year he has not been as quick as rampe or maubaum when his player breaks on the lead. Both rampe and maubaum have the closing speed over a short distance. Gould not quite as much. Yet! Having said all that I would be stoked if he debuted.
    Yes, you're probably right there.....I think he's quick once he gets going but not so much off the mark.

On the basis that the other possibilities seem likely to be available at some time in the near future and there is he's already 'overdue' for his original projected return date. He's still listed as indefinite with only 6 games remaining.

It's also possible that Longmire is not good at counting.
    I thought the last explanation the most probable.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes, you're probably right there.....I think he's quick once he gets going but not so much off the mark.
    I think you’re right. He looks quickish once he has gotten up some steam, but maybe it takes a bit to get there.

His draft combine results had his 20 sec sprint at 3.22 , which is not at all quick compared to some . He was by his own admission in poor shape at the combine though as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    _ I like this idea. Unfortunately, we don't have much transparency of the "injuries" of Amartey and Aliir mentioned previously.
    Both are not on the injury list. I believe Longmire mentioned that Aliir was a possible inclusion this week as a Rampe replacement and Amartey had previously been cleared to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I thought the last explanation the most probable.
    I suspect this as well (Lomgmire not good at counting) as I’m pretty sure he said we ‘already’ had nine off for the season before Rampe was ruled out.

Yet it seems we had seven, now eight. (I haven’t re-listened to check that is what he said.)

On a side note: I feel sorry for the young blokes who are injured, out for the season and presumably back in Sydney. (I don’t think Reynolds, Ronke and Stoddart are in the travelling group.) Not only missing out on the football but also the camaraderie of the players in the hubs. It could be lonely and demotivating. (Heeney more mature and particularly Hewett with his family are presumably ok.)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast