Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buddy DONE for this Season

Franklin has developed some groin soreness as he increased his training program, and with only four weeks of the season remaining, he hasn’t shown the level of improvement the medical team had expected...

“Lance has been working hard on a return to play and, until this week, we remained hopeful that would happen before the end of the season,” Gardiner said.

“However, given the soreness he has experienced in his groin, which suggests he still has some instability there, we believe the best course of action is for Lance to focus on building his core strength, rather than pushing himself to play again this year.

“Lance will remain with the team and continue his rehabilitation and training.

Franklin out for season

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Sad but not unexpected news.

Hope we're not paying too much for his last couple of years, as I can't see how we'll get much more out of him at his age.

We can only hope that any Covid-forced list rule changes might allow us to wriggle out of having to carry the last couple of years of his contract in our salary cap. He really should retire (and he should be afforded a fitting send off for a champion).
    I'm in two minds. Having Buddy's contract on our books for a couple more years limits what we can do at the trade table. But it's also his employment and we agreed to pay him a certain amount.

If the AFL sought fit to suspend our trading just because we picked up Buddy after Tippett, I can't see them allowing the club to work its way out of his contract. But, it would be fabulous if we could soften its impact somehow.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'm in two minds. Having Buddy's contract on our books for a couple more years limits what we can do at the trade table. But it's also his employment and we agreed to pay him a certain amount.

If the AFL sought fit to suspend our trading just because we picked up Buddy after Tippett, I can't see them allowing the club to work its way out of his contract. But, it would be fabulous if we could soften its impact somehow.
    Just to clarify - 100% we should pay him what we are due. However hopefully we can find some way to not carry that amount in the salary cap if he was to retire. I doubt the AFL will let that happen though...

I wondered if Buddy retired and became a coach whether the AFL would let us put some of his salary in the soft cap

Groin soreness? No problem. If Buddy's got groin soreness next year, we can just replace him with Joe Daniher.

When he signed the contract we all new it was unlikely he'd last till the end. This is the price we pay.

John Longmire was on Footy Footy tonight ('First Crack' with Tom Morris, David King & Brad Johnson). Horse said he is confident Buddy will get back to his best fitness as he was pre Christmas. He was no plans for Buddy to play a different role next year. He laughed off question whether Buddy will be in the next Swans premiership team, as he's only focusing on next 12 months.

David King made point that it's unfair to judge Buddy on his contract, as things like this can happen on a long contract, but so be it as he's been outrageously successful for the Swans both on & off the field.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    When he signed the contract we all new it was unlikely he'd last till the end. This is the price we pay.
    Received the rumour over a month ago that Buddy will never play again and is being groomed for a coaching role. It looks like that rumour is true.!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Received the rumour over a month ago that Buddy will never play again and is being groomed for a coaching role. It looks like that rumour is true.!
    I’m prepared to call bollocks on that and back it up with $$ if you wanna bet. Buddy will play next year.

On Footy Classified a few weeks ago, both Matthew Lloyd & Ross Lyon were calling for Buddy to be put in cotton wool for rest of this season for his long term sake. They both reckoned there isn't anything to gain by putting Buddy under the strain in trying to get back this year, when finals is out of the question. The club has now come to this same conclusion & pleased they're now focusing on his improving his core strength instead. They will have learned so much more about managing Buddy over the last 18 months .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On Footy Classified a few weeks ago, both Matthew Lloyd & Ross Lyon were calling for Buddy to be put in cotton wool for rest of this season for his long term sake. They both reckoned there isn't anything to gain by putting Buddy under the strain in trying to get back this year, when finals is out of the question. The club has now come to this same conclusion & pleased they're now focusing on his improving his core strength instead. They will have learned so much more about managing Buddy over the last 18 months .
    And then there were Dunstall and Riewoldt arguing if he could play this year, then he should - "use it or lose it!" was Riewoldt's position. In other words, the talking heads don't really know what's right, only Buddy, the coaching staff and the medical experts can be in a position to make a considered call.

Veterans List
    Sensible decision I say, for Buddy and for our draft picks :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast