Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buddy DONE for this Season

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Sensible decision I say, for Buddy and for our draft picks :-)
    Agree totally. I was under the impression that Buddy was going to play this season if he recovered and was fit enough, but this didn't happen so right decision not to risk him. Look forward to him being injury free for 2021.
    Also as you stated it will help the draft picks should we keep loosing, even though I want the team to still win and also not to tank. Honorable losses are acceptable together with experience gained for our younger players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On Footy Classified a few weeks ago, both Matthew Lloyd & Ross Lyon were calling for Buddy to be put in cotton wool for rest of this season for his long term sake. They both reckoned there isn't anything to gain by putting Buddy under the strain in trying to get back this year, when finals is out of the question. The club has now come to this same conclusion & pleased they're now focusing on his improving his core strength instead. They will have learned so much more about managing Buddy over the last 18 months .
    That is, they have learned their lesson.....and about time. Buddy is too important to risk.

Whether bud plays or not over the next two years, he still gets paid.
    Wrap him up in cotton wool and let him fully heal.
    Then bring him back next year and just stand him in the goal square. Let him draw in defenders. He won't have to move, if he doesn't want to.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Then bring him back next year and just stand him in the goal square. Let him draw in defenders. He won't have to move, if he doesn't want to.
    I've always imagined him ending his time like Micky O, standing in the goal square waiting for the chest mark! And why not.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Whether bud plays or not over the next two years, he still gets paid.
    Wrap him up in cotton wool and let him fully heal.
    Just make sure you clarify to Horse re which goal square. Otherwise he'll move him back into defense with 16-17 teammates if given the chance....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Just make sure you clarify to Horse re which goal square. Otherwise he'll move him back into defense with 16-17 teammates if given the chance....
    Ha ha......not. Are you a Melbourne journo? Or maybe Hardwick?

Either either.
    Our goal square.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

On the Rookie List
    The only thing that Buddy would have got out of playing in 2020 is another injury. Pleased he is not playing this year and can be fit and firing for next year.

Is anyone able to elaborate on the statement made by Gardiner and repeated by Longmire that Buddy needs to focus on building his core strength?

I would have thought that core strength training was an integral part of normal training for footballers anyway. And how does it relate specifically to hamstring and groin issues?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Is anyone able to elaborate on the statement made by Gardiner and repeated by Longmire that Buddy needs to focus on building his core strength?

I would have thought that core strength training was an integral part of normal training for footballers anyway. And how does it relate specifically to hamstring and groin issues?
    I took it as meaning his base strength and conditioning rather than his ab's.....

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I ain't no doctor, but have been plagued by groin injuries for some time. When it really blew up badly last year, with nasty nerve pain rendering me virtually unable to walk for a while, a lot of my rehab was based on improving my core strength. Often other muscles in the back and/or legs are forced to overcompensate for weaknesses or injuries in the core, resulting in issues such as back injuries, bad hammies or knees, and dodgy hips and groin pain. Buddy's groin issues reasonated with me, and I'm in no way surprised that he's been put on a core-strengthening regime.

I'm worried, though, that things don't really look so rosy for him around recovering to being 100% pain free or the wonderful athlete he's been in the recent past. One of the joys of getting older.... Hope I'm wrong of course, but I reckon we've seen the best of him by a long shot.

On the Rookie List
    Out of interest, I started doing pilates at a studio in Melbourne for a few months before COVID-19 came along. A couple of regulars there were Bontompelli and Dunkley from the Bulldogs who both came across as very strong believers in the strength benefits pilates gives. Bontompelli in particular was saying it was noticeable how much stronger he was in the hips which made him both harder to tackle and give him more explosiveness in the contest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast