Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buddy DONE for this Season

Bomber rushing Joe straight back into the side. Desperate to try to make the finals? Or desperate to try to pump up his value if he wants out at the season’s end?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Bomber rushing Joe straight back into the side. Desperate to try to make the finals? Or desperate to try to pump up his value if he wants out at the season’s end?
    They may also want to get a feel for themselves as to whether he can recover his previous form. Plus I think he’ll be more invested if he’s playing than not.

I am genuinely intrigued by the next steps in the Joe Daniher saga.

I don’t think there was ever any doubt he wouldn’t play this year - we were just stalling until it got late enough that we could point to another niggle and say that was it (but still not look like we were tanking).

All the media talk is about his back-ended contract being a burden or mistake given he’s not playing, but has anyone else thought like me that paying him so much at the end of his deal has actually worked out perfectly for us?

I’m sure it wasn’t planned as such, but paying him so much when we’re in a rebuilding phase from 2019-2021 means we kept a better team together from 2014-2018 when we were contenders.

From the beginning I always thought that we were basically paying him $10m for 7 years (2014-2020), and only spread it over 9 years with back-ending for salary cap and list management considerations.

So he has been worth the average of $1.4m per year from 2014-2020, if we did it that way.

And even now paying $2.5m across 2021-2022 (and less, albeit proportionally to a lower salary cap due to COVID) will be done with a young list which won’t be causing us salary cap issues.

The only thing we can’t do now is front-end some contracts now while we’re rebuilding to save cap space for later, but for the sake of having Franklin in his prime for so many years it more than offsets that.

“When his teammates head for holidays after the the Swans' final game of the season against Geelong on Sunday, Franklin will remain in work to strengthen his body in the hope of being ready for pre-season in the new year.

Franklin's progress in Sydney's hub over the past month has given the club confidence the goal-kicking great is on the right track.”

Franklin in fitness fight for next season Lance Franklin will be in rehab for the rest of his career as part of a playing plan for 2021.
    http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/f...5x9e.html?btis

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    “When his teammates head for holidays after the the Swans' final game of the season against Geelong on Sunday, Franklin will remain in work to strengthen his body in the hope of being ready for pre-season in the new year.

Franklin's progress in Sydney's hub over the past month has given the club confidence the goal-kicking great is on the right track.”

Franklin in fitness fight for next season Lance Franklin will be in rehab for the rest of his career as part of a playing plan for 2021.
    http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/f...5x9e.html?btis
    Thanks for the article! It still gets me Buddy wasn t allowed to access the club's equipment during the lockdown & whether it would've made any difference in preventing that hamstring injury. I'm confident we'll see Buddy at his best next season in how they're building him up now but at same time feel this is the last chance to get him 100% right.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I don’t think there was ever any doubt he wouldn’t play this year - we were just stalling until it got late enough that we could point to another niggle and say that was it (but still not look like we were tanking).

All the media talk is about his back-ended contract being a burden or mistake given he’s not playing, but has anyone else thought like me that paying him so much at the end of his deal has actually worked out perfectly for us?

I’m sure it wasn’t planned as such, but paying him so much when we’re in a rebuilding phase from 2019-2021 means we kept a better team together from 2014-2018 when we were contenders.

From the beginning I always thought that we were basically paying him $10m for 7 years (2014-2020), and only spread it over 9 years with back-ending for salary cap and list management considerations.

So he has been worth the average of $1.4m per year from 2014-2020, if we did it that way.

And even now paying $2.5m across 2021-2022 (and less, albeit proportionally to a lower salary cap due to COVID) will be done with a young list which won’t be causing us salary cap issues.

The only thing we can’t do now is front-end some contracts now while we’re rebuilding to save cap space for later, but for the sake of having Franklin in his prime for so many years it more than offsets that.
    This makes a lot of sense, however makes the pain of 2016 cut deeper. We had the list management down to perfection to deliver us a flag only for it to be stolen from us by a corrupt administration. GRRRRRR

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234