Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 14 Vs Port at Adelaide

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Which ones on the list of ten do you think might be related to ‘poor fitness regime and recovery’?
    Not these:
    * E.Taylor is serving a suspension.
    * Maibaum is out for the rest of the season due to bereavement.
    * Heeney's ankle got splattered during a game.
    * Rampe broke his hand during a game. Playing with the injury and re-injuring it can be categorised as "poor ... recovery" though not the original injury.

I suspect a few of the other "season" injuries isn't anything to do with recovery, more a conservative approach to injury management because we're not making finals this year. There isn't much point trying to get players up for one or two games that have no bearing on whether we make the finals. We don't know yet when the 2021 season is scheduled to start, and getting the injured players healed instead of risking them would allow us to get a head start on next year's preseason.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Apologies, but what follows certainly belongs in another thread! It seems that be the Swans' mantra at the moment: don't upset or challenge the AFL administration in any way. We don't challenge umpiring decisions, fines, suspensions. We even went so far to call the police and inform admin about the ET breach in WA. Makes me think that we might ask for some leniency in another area??? Ie Bud's contract being in the cap should he retire early.
    This is a terrible post

Suspended by the MRP
    Apologies, but what follows certainly belongs in another thread! It seems that be the Swans' mantra at the moment: don't upset or challenge the AFL administration in any way. We don't challenge umpiring decisions, fines, suspensions. We even went so far to call the police and inform admin about the ET breach in WA. Makes me think that we might ask for some leniency in another area??? Ie Bud's contract being in the cap should he retire early.
    What a gigantic leap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    What a gigantic leap.
    Maybe so. I hope so. I love our club and Bud. I'll be a member all my days. Franklin is a true champion of the game and I love watching him play.

But we couldn't even get him on the park this year. Maybe he's cooked. All the noise from inside the club is that he'll play again. So again, I hope I'm wrong on his playing future.

But, if Bud is done and we have huge dollars left to pay him, we don't have the luxury of settling for an amicable lesser agreed to amount like the Dogs did with Boyd. It would be strange in my opinion if the Swans didn't try and change the conditions of his contract and loosen the AFL's holding us accountable to it.

That led me to think about the unfair conditions we've had to face in recent times. Why did we receive that trade ban? The loss of COLA? Why are we the only club who the AFL will make honour a contract like Bud's, when others can change terms? And damn it, why can't Horse have a coffee with Gil?

If you're going to try something outlandish, (like getting a set in stone contract changed), I think it's human nature to try and butter up who you want a favour off.

All of that added up to my previous post. If I created offense, I didn't mean to. I wouldn't take anything I take too seriously at the moment. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, just tired.

I'm also not trying to convince anyone on here; just attempting to explain how I arrived at that gigantic leap.

Veterans List
    Is this the Changes for Port Adelaide thread? Think I've stumbled into the wrong thread ...

Veterans List
    Maybe so. I hope so. I love our club and Bud. I'll be a member all my days. Franklin is a true champion of the game and I love watching him play.

But we couldn't even get him on the park this year. Maybe he's cooked. All the noise from inside the club is that he'll play again. So again, I hope I'm wrong on his playing future.

But, if Bud is done and we have huge dollars left to pay him, we don't have the luxury of settling for an amicable lesser agreed to amount like the Dogs did with Boyd. It would be strange in my opinion if the Swans didn't try and change the conditions of his contract and loosen the AFL's holding us accountable to it.

That led me to think about the unfair conditions we've had to face in recent times. Why did we receive that trade ban? The loss of COLA? Why are we the only club who the AFL will make honour a contract like Bud's, when others can change terms? And damn it, why can't Horse have a coffee with Gil?

If you're going to try something outlandish, (like getting a set in stone contract changed), I think it's human nature to try and butter up who you want a favour off.

All of that added up to my previous post. If I created offense, I didn't mean to. I wouldn't take anything I take too seriously at the moment. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, just tired.

I'm also not trying to convince anyone on here; just attempting to explain how I arrived at that gigantic leap.
    Fair call.

I too sometimes wonder why the Swans don't send more 'please explains' to league headquarters. Maybe they do in private but I suspect that the Swans fear Vic fan and journo or even coach backlash if they complain publically.....thereby having their complaint backfire. We've seen what's happened with Papley's 'staging' since Clarkson had a sook.

What about bringing in McLean? We were small down back last week and he's played there before. He gives it a crack.....

Regular in the Side
    We need one more tall defender: Brand or Aliir. Brand played in the recent scratch match bout only for limited time while the injury list states that he is "1 week".
    We need one more ruck/forward: McLean or Amartey. Like to see Amartey debut and add the extra excitement.
    Out? Let the Match Committee decide -possibly Foot and who knows.

This belongs in another thread. But honouring Buddy's contract is essential to maintaining the integrity of Free Agency. Otherwise all clubs could offer crazy back ended deals that are never going to be satisfied.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    When discussing team changes for this game, please remember this is our fixture for the next four games:
    Saturday 29/8/20: Port Adelaide
    Thursday 3/9/20: Melbourne
    Tuesday 8/9/20: Carlton
    Sunday 13/9/20: Brisbane

That's three five-day breaks in a row. That means we will be resting ("managing") players at some point.

I would like to see Gold make his debut (assuming he is ready) in exchange for resting another defender.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I would like to see Gold make his debut (assuming he is ready) in exchange for resting another defender.
    What about Silver and Bronze?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Regular in the Side
    Port has already announced "Ryan Burton, Connor Rozee, Xavier Duursma and Todd Marshall, who were all selected within the first 19 picks of their respective drafts, will be named, as will Cameron Sutcliffe." They will replace "Steven Motlop, Sam Mayes, Jarrod Lienert, Boyd Woodcock and Mitch Georgiades". There will be the likes of Dixon, Lycett, Westoff and Marshall who are taller than Melican, our tallest defender last week.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast