Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Season review

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Didn't we lose 5 or 6 games by less than 10 points with a severely depleted team and the youngest team in the comp. Doesn't take a lot of improvement to turn that around. Port Adelaide went from 9th las year to top at the end of this season.
    Five games: Carlton (5), Collingwood (9), Essendon (6), Geelong (6), Richmond (8). Three of these sides are in the top 8.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    +1

Rowbottom, McCartin, McInerny and Stephens are all fair chances for next year I'd say.
    Plus Hollands, Campbell and Gulden :-)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Parker past his best! I must have been watching a different team in red and white. IIRC he is the one who wears no.26. The leader of the pack in the absence of a group of experienced players, the first player tagged by the opposition that played his guts out every week. If that's over the hill I want more of that in 2021.
    +1

I think that's the bloke who was BOG at least a couple of times, that's better on the day than the other 43 that played! Rowbottom is developing but has a long way to go before being mentioned in the same breath as Parker.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    +1

I think that's the bloke who was BOG at least a couple of times, that's better on the day than the other 43 that played! Rowbottom is developing but has a long way to go before being mentioned in the same breath as Parker.
    It is easy to be enamoured with the new shiny toy. Rowbottom is a beauty, but when all is said and done, Parker is one of only about four Swans who can be consistently relied upon to stand and deliver. It's not a common quality to find in an AFL player.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    It is easy to be enamoured with the new shiny toy. Rowbottom is a beauty, but when all is said and done, Parker is one of only about four Swans who can be consistently relied upon to stand and deliver. It's not a common quality to find in an AFL player.
    Now:Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Lloyd, Heeney, Hewitt, Cunningham, Franklin, Papley, Potential: Dawson,Rowbootom

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Now:Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Lloyd, Heeney, Hewitt, Cunningham, Franklin, Papley, Potential: Dawson,Rowbootom
    I was referring to 2020 in isolation, where Franklin, Kennedy, Heeney and Hewett all had injury effected seasons.

But you're probably right, although Dawson took until the half way point to get going, and Rowbottom's last month or so was disappointing.

Parker delivered all year, and under trying circumstances as one of the few leaders on the field every week.

Papley is our only nominee for the All Australian squad. Well done to him, for being rated above many fine small forwards, including Charlie Cameron. I think Jake Lloyd was a bit unlucky not to be nominated, since he ended up third in the competition for disposals. I assume that the selectors have decided that Caleb Daniel is going to be the small rebound defender. Which I suppose is fair enough, as he is a brilliant user of the ball. But still, finishing third in the competition for disposals, means that Lloyd has been working tirelessly to get into a position to receive the ball. While his disposal is not as intuitive as Daniel's, it has been very efficient, and his defensive efforts have often been more robust than sometimes in the past.

Parker is an interesting one. Hard to say he has had a great year when he can't make the 40 man AA squad after playing every game.

He is a very good player, not a great one. Lacks speed and foot skills but is all heart and guts. Pretty similar to Jude Bolton.

The biggest issue is that too much is left to Parker. He basically has to carry the whole team as the rest of our midfield are so young (and Horse refuses to play Mills there) and is therefore the first one tagged. Unlike the elite midfielders he isn't quite good enough to dominate under these circumstances.

Wouldn't say he is on the slide though, more that he has been exposed by playing with weaker (young) players around him.

Parker also has been written up, as somebody that was a bit unlucky not to have made the squad.

And I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but Rampe won the Robert Rose Award, for the season's most courageous player. He joins other Bloods; Kelly, Kirk and Parker, as winners of the award.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I was referring to 2020 in isolation, where Franklin, Kennedy, Heeney and Hewett all had injury effected seasons.

But you're probably right, although Dawson took until the half way point to get going, and Rowbottom's last month or so was disappointing.

Parker delivered all year, and under trying circumstances as one of the few leaders on the field every week.
    Fair enough. Agree on Parker. Does a huge amount of bash and crash which is under appreciated. Also, has been incredibly durable throughout his career.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Parker is an interesting one. Hard to say he has had a great year when he can't make the 40 man AA squad after playing every game.

He is a very good player, not a great one. Lacks speed and foot skills but is all heart and guts. Pretty similar to Jude Bolton.

The biggest issue is that too much is left to Parker. He basically has to carry the whole team as the rest of our midfield are so young (and Horse refuses to play Mills there) and is therefore the first one tagged. Unlike the elite midfielders he isn't quite good enough to dominate under these circumstances.

Wouldn't say he is on the slide though, more that he has been exposed by playing with weaker (young) players around him.
    Lacks speed and foot skills ?? How does this make him different to Kennedy who is untouchable, or the golden child?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast