Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Season review

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm not sure why Craig Little and Russell Jackson, no longer seem to write for the Guardian, but I prefer their work to that of Scott Heinrich.
    They are both very good. Russell announced on Twitter a while back that he had issues with delayed freelancer payments from the Guardian and wouldn't write there any more. Does some work at ABC now. Craig I think works in communications for the Australian Cricketers Association.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I don't think we are similar to Hawthorn at all to be honest. On completely different trajectories....
    Yeah, the "see Hawthorn" was weird and wide of the mark! And I think there are more promising youngsters than he mentions. It was the "will somebody, anybody, help out Tom Papley in the forward line" that made me laugh, then nod sadly.
    Last edited by neilfws; 29th September 2020 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ha! I have noticed your participation BTL in The Guardian. I do agree with you, there are some very civil, intelligent and perceptive comments BTL of The Guardian AFL articles.

Very, very different to many online AFL blogs (such as The Roar).
    I've frankly given up on elsewhere (bar RWO of course) because its just full of nasty idiots, such as bigfooty, and as for the roar, for every intelligent soul there sadly are 10 dropkicks.

In general, most of the discussion on Guardian BTL is pretty civil, and generally pretty intelligent. There are a few fools, but they don't seem to hang around, or a few just wanting to stir- but there is enough of an 'old guard' that has been around the place that actually just like a nice chin wag, to look out for each other, barrack hard for their team, but have a nice chat at the end of it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    They are both very good. Russell announced on Twitter a while back that he had issues with delayed freelancer payments from the Guardian and wouldn't write there any more. Does some work at ABC now. Craig I think works in communications for the Australian Cricketers Association.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the "see Hawthorn" was weird and wide of the mark! And I think there are more promising youngsters than he mentions. It was the "will somebody, anybody, help out Tom Papley in the forward line" that made me laugh, then nod sadly.
    He certainly nailed it on the Papley comment, and only fleetingly looked at our youngsters. But I guess he had to write about 10 clubs within a limited amount of words, and I don't think to be honest he watches much swans football - a couple of other articles earlier in the year reflected some strange pre-conceptions as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I don't know why it has been released so belatedly, now that it is partly out of date but afl.com.au has released a harsh but fair review of our 2020 season: https://www.afl.com.au/news/509738/s...ans-grade-more.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't know why it has been released so belatedly... [/url].
    ? The date on the article shows 26 September 2020.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

This channel has posted some great highlights of individual players. I am posting this link to Heeney's 2020 highlights: Isaac Heeney 2020 Highlight Reel - YouTube. Despite the fact that he didn't play that many games in 2020, his highlights are awesome! I think if we had seen a full season from him he really could have impressed us. The diversity of his abilities on offer is tremendous: goal kicking, speed, strength, high marking, brilliant handballs, great second efforts, devastating tackles, you name it! His highlights have always been brilliant, let's hope he can just increase his level of production a bit more. Fingers crossed that's what the season ahead brings!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    This channel has posted some great highlights of individual players. I am posting this link to Heeney's 2020 highlights: Isaac Heeney 2020 Highlight Reel - YouTube. Despite the fact that he didn't play that many games in 2020, his highlights are awesome! I think if we had seen a full season from him he really could have impressed us. The diversity of his abilities on offer is tremendous: goal kicking, speed, strength, high marking, brilliant handballs, great second efforts, devastating tackles, you name it! His highlights have always been brilliant, let's hope he can just increase his level of production a bit more. Fingers crossed that's what the season ahead brings!
    The marking is a highlight, but his ground play also contains wonderful touches. Had hoped he was going to be the Hunter's answer to Nate Fyfe.
    I always thought it was a terrible indictment of our key forwards that he was needed up forward.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567