View Poll Results: Who will the Swans take at #3?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ugle-Hagan

1 4.55%
  • MacDonald

4 18.18%
  • Hollands

7 31.82%
  • Thilthorpe

8 36.36%
  • Phillips

0 0%
  • Other: Please specify

2 9.09%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft - Pick #3

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Other: "ROK is hot"
    The staple "other" option for years. ;-)
    I actually thought about it, but I didn't know if it was way past it's use by date as a joke...
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    IIRC, the next the next KPF is a fair way down the list, so if the first three are gone, then it should be best available player.
    There is a key defender projected to be top 10 (Grainger-Barrass - I don't think he's a great pick) - but there is actually a 4th KP forward who could be better/as good as the others, but has done both ACL's and not played much football post U16's, so total roll of the dice, both medically and in terms of ability/development.

I've seen other clubs fans dreaming that he'll fall to their pick at 40 something, but I'm sure someone will take a punt on him inside #25. His vision looks OK - Kaine Baldwin.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=766789997110569
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Maybe we could do a deal with 2 different clubs and downgrade ourselves in the draft to pick 7.
    Give away pick 3 to Geelong for 2 picks in return 11 and 15 and maybe give a lower draft pick back.
    I think this could be a good draft night strategy. If McDonald and Thilthorpe go before pick 3, then we could trade down to get into a position to take a 'lower rated' KPF plus enough points to cover the Campbell bid. This strategy, like everything else on draft night, will depend on who we get in the trade period.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    There is a key defender projected to be top 10 (Grainger-Barrass - I don't think he's a great pick) - but there is actually a 4th KP forward who could be better/as good as the others, but has done both ACL's and not played much football post U16's, so total roll of the dice, both medically and in terms of ability/development.

I've seen other clubs fans dreaming that he'll fall to their pick at 40 something, but I'm sure someone will take a punt on him inside #25. His vision looks OK - Kaine Baldwin.

Who teaches kids these days to kick set shots for goal? So many of them shuffle, stumble, stutter and skip their way towards goal, it’s a wonder they done trip over their own feet before they get boot to ball! I just watched footage of Lockett, Coventry (could only find 1) Dunstall, Wade and Ablett Snr. Apart from one shot by Ablett that had a couple of tiny skips, the thing that the 5 greatest goal kickers of all time have in common is they the have a deliberate, measured and steady approach for set shots. We won’t easily see another 100 goal a season forward or 1000 career goal player because too many players today because whoever teaches them (or whoever they emulate during their formative developmental years seem to want to teach them to approach their set shots a baby giraffe learning to walk.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post

Good pair of hands, good set shot and footy smarts. Looks promising.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Who teaches kids these days to kick set shots for goal? So many of them shuffle, stumble, stutter and skip their way towards goal, it’s a wonder they done trip over their own feet before they get boot to ball! I just watched footage of Lockett, Coventry (could only find 1) Dunstall, Wade and Ablett Snr. Apart from one shot by Ablett that had a couple of tiny skips, the thing that the 5 greatest goal kickers of all time have in common is they the have a deliberate, measured and steady approach for set shots. We won’t easily see another 100 goal a season forward or 1000 career goal player because too many players today because whoever teaches them (or whoever they emulate during their formative developmental years seem to want to teach them to approach their set shots a baby giraffe learning to walk.
    I get your point and as a well taught kick, I find it a little frustrating.....but if they kick straight consistently, I don't care what style run in they have.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 30th September 2020 at 06:39 PM.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Maybe we could do a deal with 2 different clubs and downgrade ourselves in the draft to pick 7.
    Give away pick 3 to Geelong for 2 picks in return 11 and 15 and maybe give a lower draft pick back. Obviously Geelong must think that they are going to get an amazing player with pick 3. But may be they have a decent list so they dont need so many picks.
    Give the 2 draft picks to Carlton in return for pick 7, 2nd and 3rd rounder. They are going to need 2 picks in first round to get Zac williams and Adam Saad.
    Get a good player with pick 7 and not to get into deficit next year with academy bids.

The only problem is that there are teams between pick 4 and 6 - Hawthorn, Essendon, gold coast who may select Braeden Campbell.

So it will only depend on where do our recruiters mark Campbell and what do they think they are going to get before him and is it a big loss if we lose pick 3.
    I have a hunch that we will end up splitting pick 3 for two lower first-round picks. If we could get picks 11 and 16 from Geelong (perhaps for pick 3 and 2021 3rd round pick) we would be well placed to match an early bid on Campbell.

Suppose we have picks 11, 16 and 22. Pick 11 can match a bid at pick 7, pick 16 can match a bid at pick 12, and pick 22 can match a bid at pick 17. In all cases, there would be some points left over. We would have the entire range from pick 7 to pick 22 covered and this would give us a lot of draft flexibility. Two of these picks would be used to match bids (or we draft them ourselves if they are available) and the other pick is used to draft as normal.

Only if Campbell is drafted before pick 7 would this strategy not work as intended, but we would still end up with both players.

Because this strategy would be so effective, I doubt that Geelong would make that pick swap, but you never know. Geelong may want to get extra future picks because without them, they will be going into a serious rebuild soon. The average age of their best 22 is over 28 - about 2 years older than any other club.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

I don’t understand why we would use pick 3 to pay for a bid on Campbell by splitting it. It is normal to try to use late picks rather than early ones to pay for academy picks. Look at how GWS moved heaven and earth to get a pick before Green last year and how we played the system to pay for Blakey using late picks.

More likely is that we’ll split pick 22 for two or three later picks to gain more points.

Don’t overthink it. Pick best available at pick 3, Campbell, and Gulden and walk away with our best draft haul in 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I don’t understand why we would use pick 3 to pay for a bid on Campbell by splitting it. It is normal to try to use late picks rather than early ones to pay for academy picks. Look at how GWS moved heaven and earth to get a pick before Green last year and how we played the system to pay for Blakey using late picks.

More likely is that we’ll split pick 22 for two or three later picks to gain more points.

Don’t overthink it. Pick best available at pick 3, Campbell, and Gulden and walk away with our best draft haul in 20+ years.
    Yeah it’s puzzling to me. I take it to mean we should split the pick 3 and we end up with a spare pick in the teens, whilst matching bids for Campbell and Gulden? Why would we do that we can take a pick 3 and still match bids for those two ( albeit with a Points deficit potentially ) . Seems crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I'm worried that with no U18 this year, it is going to be incredibly tough to get picks right. Pick 3 might be as useful as pick 33.

Accordingly, I would be more than happy to trade it away and back our recruiting staff in to find some decent players with later picks.
    I would be astounded at my own astonishment is we gave up pick 3.

Veterans List
    The old KISS principle. Pick 3, Campbell, Gulden. What if we play funny buggers with splitting picks etc. and the pick 3 we could have got turns out a gun and goes to Geelong. Common sense says a pick 3 will be always be a highly rated player, so why pass it up or worse stuff it up with fancy foot work. He who hesitates is an old time waltzer.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The old KISS principle. Pick 3, Campbell, Gulden. What if we play funny buggers with splitting picks etc. and the pick 3 we could have got turns out a gun and goes to Geelong. Common sense says a pick 3 will be always be a highly rated player, so why pass it up or worse stuff it up with fancy foot work. He who hesitates is an old time waltzer.
    A bit lost with the last bit, but thoroughly agree with the rest.

If we need collateral for a ruckman, trade out a 2021 pick.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast