View Poll Results: Who will the Swans take at #3?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ugle-Hagan

1 4.55%
  • MacDonald

4 18.18%
  • Hollands

7 31.82%
  • Thilthorpe

8 36.36%
  • Phillips

0 0%
  • Other: Please specify

2 9.09%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft - Pick #3

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think the cooling on Daniher ( if that’s correct ) would be due to the reluctance to splash big dollars on a guy who’s body has a big question make over it. We’ve just paid Buddy millions for ten games over two years, don’t need Joe taking 800k plus for 6 games a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It seems that Brisbane is the in vogue destination for Daniher. They can use him as a crumbing forward alongside the taller Hipwood and Oscar McInerney.

I'm getting a bit fascinated with the recruitment of Paddy McCartin. We can just put him in one of these helmets and he should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It seems that Brisbane is the in vogue destination for Daniher. They can use him as a crumbing forward alongside the taller Hipwood and Oscar McInerney.

I'm getting a bit fascinated with the recruitment of Paddy McCartin. We can just put him in one of these helmets and he should be fine.

If it’s a free hit I guess there isn’t much to lose. I don’t rate him but in fairness he hasn’t had much of a run at it. Just seems he’s one head knock away from trouble though. I know the doctors have cleared him but I can’t see how another head knock would be a good thing for the guy.

If it’s a free hit I guess there isn’t much to lose. I don’t rate him but in fairness he hasn’t had much of a run at it. Just seems he’s one head knock away from trouble though. I know the doctors have cleared him but I can’t see how another head knock would be a good thing for the guy.

IIRC we had similar concerns with Tippett when we got him and he barely had another concussion with us ... broke pretty much everything else, but we kept the concussion mostly under control

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Ronke, Stoddart, Ling, O'Riordan, Brand, Foot, Thurlow, Clarke plus ?E Taylor! ET has a contract and I am not sure he can be delisted that easily. Remember M Talia.

We need to remove at least five of the above players from our list to make room for replacements and list reductions. Which of them could we trade for draft points. I suspect there is very little value to other clubs in any of them. Most clubs will be in a similar situation to the Swans and will show little interest in our list cloggers.
    I have a hunch that we may give North a player or two for a draft pick. If we could prise pick 25 out of the Roos for a couple of fringe players, that would be a good deal even if we have to give up a future third-round pick in exchange.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I have a hunch that we may give North a player or two for a draft pick. If we could prise pick 25 out of the Roos for a couple of fringe players, that would be a good deal even if we have to give up a future third-round pick in exchange.
    Why do you have that hunch? Rhyce Shaw connection plus need to bring in more than a dozen players?

I don't agree. We don't need better draft picks, we need more points. (In a form we can use them to pay for the Academy picks.)

I do agree with whoever said that the players we might be willing to trade don't have any trade currency.

I also agree with Ludwig (I mostly agree with Ludwig when it comes to trading) that we pretty much need to sit tight and back our players and our list management strategy of the past few years to ripen and bear fruit.

While I'm at it, I agree with pretty much everything AB Swannie has said about drafting lately.

Have a great day y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Why do you have that hunch? Rhyce Shaw connection plus need to bring in more than a dozen players?
    Pretty much. North are going to need to bring in a dozen players and they have only five draft picks in the top 80. They are not going to go to the draft intending to draft six players with picks after 90. They must be considering something else, and trading in multiple players for single picks is one tactic that they may be considering.

The Shaw connection is another factor. Paul Roos may be there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't agree. We don't need better draft picks, we need more points. (In a form we can use them to pay for the Academy picks.)
    If we could get pick 25 (756 points), that would give us plenty of points. We're going to have to give up something to get more points though, and that would be future picks or players.

Veterans List
    If we could get pick 25 (756 points), that would give us plenty of points. We're going to have to give up something to get more points though, and that would be future picks or players.
    Pick 25 will be after all the compo picks and bid matching? Could be mid 30s.

I don't think North will be adding fringe players when they've just dumped a truck load of their own fringies/cloggers.

2020 Draft - Pick #3

I think the cooling on Daniher ( if that’s correct ) would be due to the reluctance to splash big dollars on a guy who’s body has a big question make over it. We’ve just paid Buddy millions for ten games over two years, don’t need Joe taking 800k plus for 6 games a year.

Something has changed - last year we were prepared to offer 2 x 1st round picks and pay decent money, the same question marks existed over his durability back then and we were still interested.

If anything, now he’s at least got back onto the park and given hope he’s over those issues.

The interest in Daniher was to be the post-Buddy key forward - we still need one so it would only be if we have other targets (including now at the top of the draft) that we would have moved on from Daniher.

I was always fairly blaise about Daniher - he could be great but there is a risk and I’d rather pass than over pay for him (dollars and trade if it came to that).

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Pick 25 will be after all the compo picks and bid matching? Could be mid 30s.
    Pick matching isn't free. Draft picks will be removed from the draft when bids are matched. I don't see a lot of early compo picks before pick 25 either.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I don't think North will be adding fringe players when they've just dumped a truck load of their own fringies/cloggers.
    They must have a plan, otherwise they'll be trying to recruit several fringe players with a bunch of very late draft picks. What's the difference between a first-year fringe player from the draft and a second-year fringe player picked up from another club?

Perhaps we could prise pick 2 off them in a pick swap?

It’s as simple as this. Pick 3, Campbell and Gulden. Maybe we swap some late picks next year for picks this year. No logic in trading down for points and shafting ourselves out of pick 3.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast