Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RWO forum 2020

RWO forum 2020

For me i love to keep up to date.
    I enjoy sharing thoughts and learning from others.
    I like an idea to be played not the forum member

how about you?

Im guessing that some people join online communities because it's a safe space. ...
    Im guessing that some people join online communities that they are truly interested in.....
    Im guessing they can connect with like minded individuals and express their opinions in a space where they feel like they belong?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Yes, all of the above....but I am also an adult and like some adult banter which sometimes gets a little heated. I don't mind that....I'm an adult and this is an adult forum. We are all 'like minded' as far as we all barrack for the Swans but we will occasionally differ in opinion on how our club is to succeed.....and I understand that some say silly things in the heat of the moment after a disappointing loss. That's fine.

But the bottom line is, this is a site where adults swap ideas about a subject that we are all passionate about and it's not always going to be smooth. That's just life....
    Last edited by liz; 1st October 2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: removed baiting paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

how about you?

Im guessing that some people join online communities because it's a safe space. ...
    Im guessing that some people join online communities that they are truly interested in.....
    Im guessing they can connect with like minded individuals and express their opinions in a space where they feel like they belong?
    well said i agree

how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes, all of the above....but I am also an adult and like some adult banter which sometimes gets a little heated. I don't mind that....I'm an adult and this is an adult forum. We are all 'like minded' as far as we all barrack for the Swans but we will occasionally differ in opinion on how our club is to succeed.....and I understand that some say silly things in the heat of the moment after a disappointing loss. That's fine.

However, sometimes certain people just say things to get a rise from others. This is just stirring the pot and it's these contributors that are about the only ones that get me a bit angry and have me maybe 'crossing a line' and 'playing the man' in response.....and he knows who he is (actually, there are a few).

But the bottom line is, this is a site where adults swap ideas about a subject that we are all passionate about and it's not always going to be smooth. That's just life....
    That why RWO has mods - because we can’t always play nice despite best intentions. But perhaps we should try & make their lives a little easier?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ....I'm an adult and this is an adult forum ....
    But it isn't is it? Is there an age restriction?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

how about you?

Yes to all of that Auntie, but I'd add a few more things from my perspective. I love that there are far more knowledgeable fans out there when it comes to our beloved team. I am always learning and happy to use this forum to do so. Some of the analysis is superb and I love reading about the South Melbourne days too as it was before my time.

I've enjoyed meeting a couple of you in person and feel eternally grateful to being chosen for a Meet the Swans day from someone on this forum as well as being given some clues recently about where to purchase a copy of a South Melbourne book I've been after for ages. It came today!

I also need to add that when the attacks become personal and prolonged, it really does spoil the community for me. I don't need to witness the conflict - there's plenty of that in the world. This forum is an escape into red and white bliss.

So let's look after each other a bit more. Especially the mods. I enjoy the tapestry of opinions. It makes this forum rich. Play the content, not the person.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm an adult and this is an adult forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    "Adult forum" has unfortunate alternative connotations. I like to think of RWO more as a forum for mature people - regardless of biological age. Or maybe better expressed as "for people prepared to act maturely (aka with consideration for, and courtesy towards, all other forum members)".

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    "Adult forum" has unfortunate alternative connotations. I like to think of RWO more as a forum for mature people - regardless of biological age. Or maybe better expressed as "for people prepared to act maturely (aka with consideration for, and courtesy towards, all other forum members)".
    here here

Goes up to 11
    Liz and the other mods have done a fabulous job in keeping RWO going so well for so long. It's my go-to source above all others for Swans news and opinion.

I haven't had much to say here lately though - a few others always have some excellent views and opinions and express them succinctly and are always worth reading.

However, unfortunately as is the case with most things online, certain individuals tend to bang on ad nauseum and take over the conversation on nost threads. It's usually not worth even participating. I'll happily have my say on certain topics, and enjoy reading the views of most, but life's too short to react to the trolling and baiting that a very small minority seem to get off on. I see it's even happened on this thread, which is sad.

Please keep up the insights, the mature exchange of ideas, and the passion for the Swans that has made RWO a great little site for a number of years.

I would say the worst offenders as far as 'playing the man' probably spend a lot of time on bigfooty, or twitter or similar platforms which expect and even encourage it. When they drift back here from time to time, they dont always remember to switch back to civil discussion.

When this happens, I just call it out for what it is. I think its a good policy, because without that the mods often let it slide.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Probably not but I'm guessing (possibly wrongly) that no younger fans could be bothered yapping about footy on a forum......they'd just talk to their mates directly.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    "Adult forum" has unfortunate alternative connotations.
    Yes....my wording could have been better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast