Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals: Week One. Aww, yeah, I suppose that I care.

You’re clever Meg .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Never that simple. If Hawkins kicks straight the ball goes back to a centre bounce and everything changes. A counterfactual - no one knows what would have happened.

Port were the better team over the match but particularly in second half. They deserved the win.
    That is true.

Be interesting to see if Rohan gets a game next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Never that simple. If Hawkins kicks straight the ball goes back to a centre bounce and everything changes. A counterfactual - no one knows what would have happened.

Port were the better team over the match but particularly in second half. They deserved the win.
    Yes, it's strange how we tend to view matches. Like, if say, we lose by four points and there was a charity goal to the opposition, halfway through the third quarter, then most of us form the opinion that we would have won, if it wasn't for that umpiring howler. A point of view that always ignores the fact that if another decision was made, the game would have proceeded on a different timeline.

I'm glad I don't believe in the parallel universe theory. Otherwise I'd be worried about somehow being transferred to an alternate universe, where in 2005, an umpire spotted Tadhg holding Sampi in the pack and Leaping Leo's mark was disallowed.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it's strange how we tend to view matches. Like, if say, we lose by four points and there was a charity goal to the opposition, halfway through the third quarter, then most of us form the opinion that we would have won, if it wasn't for that umpiring howler. A point of view that always ignores the fact that if another decision was made, the game would have proceeded on a different timeline.

I'm glad I don't believe in the parallel universe theory. Otherwise I'd be worried about somehow being transferred to an alternate universe, where in 2005, an umpire spotted Tadhg holding Sampi in the pack and Leaping Leo's mark was disallowed.
    Yes, it might be best not to go there DJ44. Look what happened to all those Saints fans who started believing in alternate
    realities just because a ball bounced the "wrong way" in the 2010 GF. Now they are all out there protesting about 5G towers
    and the like, and are completely bonkers. It's a slippery slope.

I’m amazed there isn’t more commentary about Kennelly’s hold. Such a clear free.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Look on the bright side, deja! You might be transferred to an alternate universe where Leo Barry doesn't have to take "that mark" because the umpires pay a free kick to Darren Jolly after he is pushed in the back by Dean Cox in the contest leading up to it. We'd still win in that universe!!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, it might be best not to go there DJ44. Look what happened to all those Saints fans who started believing in alternate
    realities just because a ball bounced the "wrong way" in the 2010 GF. Now they are all out there protesting about 5G towers
    and the like, and are completely bonkers. It's a slippery slope.
    Isn't the Saints winning another premiership one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’m amazed there isn’t more commentary about Kennelly’s hold. Such a clear free.
    Well, it was made more clear, after the fact, by all the photos and posters of the Leo mark. In real time, almost all of the attention would have been captured by Leo flashing across the pack, while what was going on in the pack, would have been a bit of a blurry tangle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Look on the bright side, deja! You might be transferred to an alternate universe where Leo Barry doesn't have to take "that mark" because the umpires pay a free kick to Darren Jolly after he is pushed in the back by Dean Cox in the contest leading up to it. We'd still win in that universe!!
    I think we are starting to demonstrate, why parallel universe theory might be a tad unworkable.

Senior Player
    Thought Port/Cats was a pretty good game in the end. Plenty of "finals intensity" and Port brought more of it. I knew they were quick and good at converting, but haven't seen so much of that intense, frenetic tackling.

Read that the Cats 22 last night was the oldest average age for any game ever, not sure if it's meaningful in any way but an interesting stat.

So to Lions and Tigers. Hopefully another good contest, but I think the Lions will have to be very good to be in it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I'm more amazed at the dream run Chris Scott gets from the media re his finals record. 4 and 12 since inheriting premiership in 2011. Calls commentary on it " a bit lazy". In the Mcguire category as a media darling and protected species.

Razor Ray getting some media coverage today about his performance.

I am a big Razor fan. I know he can occasionally call a few more free kicks than others, but almost all are there, and it does free the game up.
    He's about the only umpire I deem as fair and impartial and not intimidated by a big home crowd.

Keep it up Ray.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast