Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals: Week One. Aww, yeah, I suppose that I care.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Razor Ray getting some media coverage today about his performance.

I am a big Razor fan. I know he can occasionally call a few more free kicks than others, but almost all are there, and it does free the game up.
    He's about the only umpire I deem as fair and impartial and not intimidated by a big home crowd.

Keep it up Ray.
    Yes, I also think he's the best. Though I'm not sure if he umpired any of our games this season? Probably a quirk of the hubs, but conversely, I think that we had Stevic four or five times.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    For me it is easier to pick the teams I want to fail:
    • Dogs - no explanation needed
    • Tigers - riding on the Dogs throwing coat tails and Dimma is a d#@%
    • Geelong - Selwood ducking, Ablett sniping, Taylor playing dirty and never getting called for it and all whilst having a seeming larger salary cap than most

Hopefully the Saints thump the Dogs and Jones ploughs through Liberatore

edit: I just read through that, man, I am getting grumpy in my old age
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’m amazed there isn’t more commentary about Kennelly’s hold. Such a clear free.
    there were so few free kicks in that game, and the game was played very differently to what it is today with almost every contest a “clear free kick”.

It’s easy to say with a freeze frame at such a critical point of the game but in real time and in context of the game, play on.

In other news I saw something I’ve never seen before in the port cats game. Midway through the 4th qtr, game on the line and Selwood ducks (autocorrect kindly suggested sucks instead of ducks) into a tackle. Then it happened. No whistle. Not sure if that is why Ray is in trouble?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I also think he's the best. Though I'm not sure if he umpired any of our games this season? Probably a quirk of the hubs, but conversely, I think that we had Stevic four or five times.

I may have to edit/retract this later as I threw it together quickly, but I think these are the umpire counts for Swans games this year.

I also think Chamberlain is a good umpire. I don't mind hearing what umpires have to say, explaining their calls and keeping players focused on the game is surely a good thing. Unfortunately that personality type makes him an easy target on social media.

Here's an article on him from a few years ago.

Name n
    Andre Gianfagna 6
    Brett Rosebury 5
    Leigh Haussen 3
    Matt Stevic 3
    Nathan Williamson 3
    Shaun Ryan 3
    Brendan Hosking 2
    Cameron Dore 2
    Chris Donlon 2
    David Harris 2
    Jacob Mollison 2
    Jamie Broadbent 2
    Nick Foot 2
    Paul Rebeschini 2
    Andrew Heffernan 1
    Brent Wallace 1
    Craig Fleer 1
    Curtis Deboy 1
    Daniel Johanson 1
    Dean Margetts 1
    Eleni Glouftsis 1
    Hayden Gavine 1
    Justin Power 1
    Leigh Fisher 1
    Mathew Nicholls 1
    Nick Brown 1
    Rob OGorman 1
    Simon Meredith 1

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    there were so few free kicks in that game, and the game was played very differently to what it is today with almost every contest a “clear free kick”.

It’s easy to say with a freeze frame at such a critical point of the game but in real time and in context of the game, play on.

In other news I saw something I’ve never seen before in the port cats game. Midway through the 4th qtr, game on the line and Selwood ducks (autocorrect kindly suggested sucks instead of ducks) into a tackle. Then it happened. No whistle. Not sure if that is why Ray is in trouble?
    Agree he is a good umpire. Annoys me that he thinks he is on a par with the players. Umpires should be seen and not heard so much as Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

I may have to edit/retract this later as I threw it together quickly, but I think these are the umpire counts for Swans games this year.

I also think Chamberlain is a good umpire. I don't mind hearing what umpires have to say, explaining their calls and keeping players focused on the game is surely a good thing. Unfortunately that personality type makes him an easy target on social media.

Here's an article on him from a few years ago.

Name n
    Andre Gianfagna 6
    Brett Rosebury 5
    Leigh Haussen 3
    Matt Stevic 3
    Nathan Williamson 3
    Shaun Ryan 3
    Brendan Hosking 2
    Cameron Dore 2
    Chris Donlon 2
    David Harris 2
    Jacob Mollison 2
    Jamie Broadbent 2
    Nick Foot 2
    Paul Rebeschini 2
    Andrew Heffernan 1
    Brent Wallace 1
    Craig Fleer 1
    Curtis Deboy 1
    Daniel Johanson 1
    Dean Margetts 1
    Eleni Glouftsis 1
    Hayden Gavine 1
    Justin Power 1
    Leigh Fisher 1
    Mathew Nicholls 1
    Nick Brown 1
    Rob OGorman 1
    Simon Meredith 1

So, I was right that Ray didn't umpire any of our games, but I overestimated with Stevic. Maybe it's because three of the games that I went to had Stevic umpiring, so I assumed that he did one or two more?

With Ray, when he umpires, I always feel confident that the game is going to be umpired well: both due due to his own competence, and as a senior umpire, the probable positive effect that he has on his less senior colleagues.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    So, I was right that Ray didn't umpire any of our games, but I overestimated with Stevic. Maybe it's because three of the games that I went to had Stevic umpiring, so I assumed that he did one or two more?

With Ray, when he umpires, I always feel confident that the game is going to be umpired well: both due due to his own competence, and as a senior umpire, the probable positive effect that he has on his less senior colleagues.
    May have a negative impact on some because of his domineering nature.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Razor Ray getting some media coverage today about his performance.

I am a big Razor fan. I know he can occasionally call a few more free kicks than others, but almost all are there, and it does free the game up.
    He's about the only umpire I deem as fair and impartial and not intimidated by a big home crowd.

Keep it up Ray.
    There were 2 negatives last night. He couldn't bounce the ball and he needed a tape measure to correctly measure 15 metres.

Veterans List
    The Tigers are killing the lions in clearances. They need to fix this if they want to win.

Neale has 0 disposals!

Please win Lions.

First quarter of Lions v Tigers was intense. Looks like being an excellent game. Martin having a big influence. I'd be tempted to put Robinson on him, just to see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The Tigers are killing the lions in clearances. They need to fix this if they want to win.

Neale has 0 disposals!

Please win Lions.
    You'd think that would rectify itself. Strangely, the Lions are dominating the hitouts.

Dusty is a remarkable player

Excellent effort by the Lions, to grind their way to a couple of goals lead. That snap at high speed, from deep in the pocket, while being tackled, was an amazing goal by Cameron. Andrews is having a big influence at the other end.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast