Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The game that explains 2020 Swans

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    So the coach is the reason we can't score?
    No. I thought it was a smart ploy. Hayward played his role well. I’m a big fan of him and Longmire. I think losing Buddy and Heeney for the season was the main reason we couldn’t score as heavily. A forward line of below would make many teams nervous:

Reid Franklin Wicks
    Papley Heeney Hayward

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    No. I thought it was a smart ploy. Hayward played his role well. I’m a big fan of him and Longmire. I think losing Buddy and Heeney for the season was the main reason we couldn’t score as heavily. A forward line of below would make many teams nervous:

Reid Franklin Wicks
    Papley Heeney Hayward
    How about P. McCartin, Cameron, W. Papley
    Heeney, Franklin, T. Papley

Could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    How about P. McCartin, Cameron, W. Papley
    Heeney, Franklin, T. Papley

Could be fun!
    Might as well put Daniher on the bench rotating through too.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the starkest contrast between those two games was that Freo applied intense pressure, while the Giants couldn't be bothered, possibly thinking their skills alone would easily get them across the line. I think the team has shown it can move the ball well through the middle of the ground when the pressure isn't too hot, but isn't yet able to cope with the fierce pressure applied by the top teams. We saw it in the Port game too. We struggled to hold our own in the first half, but moved the ball far better in the second after the Power somewhat took their foot off the pressure valve.

The team also needs to learn to apply that level of pressure over an entire game. I think we got better in 2020 compared to the previous two seasons but still struggled to maintain it across four quarters, or apply it at quite the intensity of the best teams.

There are other things to improve too - like forward line conversion efficiency, way the final ball is delivered into the forward line, and competitiveness at centre bounces - but the ability to apply and cope with intense pressure is the thing that, IMO, most clearly separates the best teams from the rest.
    I think the point on pressure is completely valid. I think bringing back Heeney, Hewitt, Rampe, Buddy would have a huge impact on that. Those 4 are significant physical presences in our side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12