Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The problems with free agency

On the Rookie List
    Free agency is a sham, one of the few things I agree with Damian Barrett on.
    Unless they come up with a way of charging the destination club a suitable points fee, then I would completely do away with draft pick compensation. Whatever system they have gives wildly inconsistent results and penalises every other club rather than one receiving the player.
    I thought if there has to be compensation then a monetary payment could work, where the destination club effectively buys the player at a the players average salary for one year with the money going to the increase their soft cap.

In any case, it has to change.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Free agency is a sham, one of the few things I agree with Damian Barrett on.
    Unless they come up with a way of charging the destination club a suitable points fee, then I would completely do away with draft pick compensation. Whatever system they have gives wildly inconsistent results and penalises every other club rather than one receiving the player.
    I thought if there has to be compensation then a monetary payment could work, where the destination club effectively buys the player at a the players average salary for one year with the money going to the increase their soft cap.

In any case, it has to change.
    I don't want to see transfer fees reintroduced in any form. Even the situation where a club pays another club for the salary of a player is dubious.

I like the idea of a "points fee" for a free agent. Such a system would be a more flexible system than the current draft picks in positions that are fixed to a club's finishing position.

One area where free agency has something vaguely correct is the FA compensation being greater for clubs nearer the bottom of the ladder. This can be removed if a higher-ranked club paid for the compensation picks.

Let's rework free agency with such a "points fee". Free agency can be reworked by giving players a points value, up to 3000 (the value of pick 1), the club losing the player gets a compensation draft pick closest in value to that points value, then the value of that compensation pick is taken from the draft picks of the destination club starting with any FA compensation picks that club has received (with no discount), then their first pick that falls after the compensation pick (with a 20% discount), their remaining draft picks after that (with 20% discount), and then any remaining points deficit is applied as a points deficit to their draft picks in the following year (with no discount).
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Another problem with free agency is the draft manipulation it encourages.

From the AFL's Trade Talk, emphasis is mine:

"Kyle Hartigan is officially a Hawk after crossing from Adelaide via trade on Thursday.

While the key defender was an unrestricted free agent and could have walked to Hawthorn for free, the Hawks chose to trade so they didn't dilute their compensation for departed wingman Isaac Smith.

They gave up a future fourth-round selection in exchange for the 28-year-old."

I have a theory on Jeremy Cameron:

Cameron got screwed by the club (not intentionally) and covid. Because GWS kept loading up the backend of his contract, so they could stay under the cap during 2016-2019, and then when his big pay day came (2020), he lost 30% of it. He has every right to feel aggreived. But I still think he likes to Sydney lifestyle.

But him and GWS couldnt work out what would be a fair contract for 2021 onwards. So they hatched a plan. Let him test the free-agency waters and see what his market value is. Geelong bit, and its $6m over 5 years (?). Cameron is happy with that, GWS are happy with that. The match the bid. He stays with GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Cameron got screwed by the club (not intentionally) and covid. Because GWS kept loading up the backend of his contract, so they could stay under the cap during 2016-2019, and then when his big pay day came (2020), he lost 30% of it. He has every right to feel aggreived. But I still think he likes to Sydney lifestyle.

But him and GWS couldnt work out what would be a fair contract for 2021 onwards. So they hatched a plan. Let him test the free-agency waters and see what his market value is. Geelong bit, and its $6m over 5 years (?). Cameron is happy with that, GWS are happy with that. The match the bid. He stays with GWS.
    Lets see how it plays out?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Matching contract offers made to free agents is relatively common in the NBA, and it generally comes down to a bit of free market economics where the player/team aren't particularly in disagreement on anything other than agreeing on a contract.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Article by Pete Ryan about free agency rules and whether they're working:
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agency-rules-not-clubs-have-failed-cameron-20201107-p56cdk.html
    . He seems to think that Jeremy Cameron is hard done by because he isn't guaranteed a smooth transition to Geelong. However, to me, his argument is weakened because he doesn't explain why this is so wrong. The matching option for free agency bids was exactly how the system was intended to work. In fact it's the first time it's ever even been exercised (although the Crows threat of matching Geelong's bid for Dangerfield a few years back prompted the Cats to trade). He also says that the free agency rules have become outdated - but, again, he doesn't say why. What has changed? Why were they appropriate but are no longer? I am confused and even less persuaded. Lastly he says that free agency is not one of the AFL's equalisation measures. On what basis does he say this? It seems patently untrue to me. Undoing the equalising effect of tying compensation to a club's ladder position seems a retrograde step at first blush to me. I'm all in favour of maximising equalisation.

In sum, I agree the free agency rules have problems but I find the criticisms and solutions put forward in this article really unconvincing. Disappointing because I normally think Peter Ryan is thoughtful and worth listening to.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

It's an article written for the Geelong readership.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Lastly he says that free agency is not one of the AFL's equalisation measures. On what basis does he say this? It seems patently untrue to me. Undoing the equalising effect of tying compensation to a club's ladder position seems a retrograde step at first blush to me. I'm all in favour of maximising equalisation.
    A player can cross from one club to another with the destination club giving up nothing in the draft. The club that the player is leaving is not disadvantaged by this because they get a compensation pick. The clubs that suffer are the other 16 clubs whose draft picks are diminished in value by the compensation pick.

It subverts equalisation because the destination club pays no draft price, unlike father/son and NGA academy recruitment. Father/son and academy recruitment exacts a draft price for the prospects in exchange for priority access to the player. It's time that free agency had a similar price. I have already proposed a couple of alternatives, both of which exact a fair price on the destination club by making them contribute to the value of the compensation picks so the non-participating clubs are not penalised.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    An interesting read.

The problems with the proposals:
    * Clubs who regularly lose players to free agency are disadvantaged. Getting rid of the compensation picks disadvantages the club losing players. What other compensation is proposed for these clubs to aid player retention? I don't see it.
    * Restricting the number of free agents per two or three years to top 8 clubs but less restriction to clubs outside the top 8 is flawed. If a club happened to finish ninth after making the finals for several years, they can recruit free agents with fewer restrictions. It could encourage tanking.
    * Trading players a club picks up by free agency is massively unfair. A club can raid another club of a star player, then trade that player. Who gets the benefit of that raid? Not the club losing the player.

Alternative approaches:
    * A club has a limit of two players on their list recruited via free agency at any time. This limit is increased to three if the club has lost a player to free agency in the past three years.
    * A club that has the maximum number of free agents on their list loses the protection of restricted free agency. All players who are eligible to be free agents become unrestricted.

Free agency is designed to allow a player who has played a significant time at a club (ie, repaid the dept of draft pick used to get him), can negotiate a deal with a club of his choice to move there.

Its not designed for equalisation or anything else. Its designed to empower the player, and player only.
    Player may choose to exercise it to:
    1) Move back home. (if they are starting a family)
    2) Follow the dollars. (Anyone who goes to Carlton)
    3) Follow a premiership dream (Lynch to Richmond)
    4) Escape the fishbowl (Buddy and Lynch).

The club he leaves should not expect "fair value" in return, and the compensation pick is generally below fair value.
    However the club he goes to should pay a similar less-than-fair value.

Maybe a concept where the player (lets take Jeremy Cameron* as an example), nominates Geelong. Cameron enters the draft and Geelong have the same arrangement as an academy player. At some point in the draft, he gets bid on (Lets say, for arguments sake by Sydney at 3). Geelong can then match that bid with points. If they dont, Cameron has a choice. Stay at GWS, or go to Sydney. If he goes to Sydney, The Giants get the next available pick (4).

* Jeremy cameron is a restricted free agent, so not quite the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast