Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Expectations for 2021 season

In the captain's survey on the AFL site, we were one of only three teams, that none of the other captains thought would make the finals. The other two were Adelaide and North. Which I suppose is a dampener on expectations. Though I remain optimistic, that if we have a good run with injuries, we can play an attractive style of footy and make the eight.

The only mark we made on the survey, was one captain thought that Papley would win the Coleman and another went for Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In the captain's survey on the AFL site, we were one of only three teams, that none of the other captains thought would make the finals. The other two were Adelaide and North. Which I suppose is a dampener on expectations. Though I remain optimistic, that if we have a good run with injuries, we can play an attractive style of footy and make the eight.

The only mark we made on the survey, was one captain thought that Papley would win the Coleman and another went for Franklin.
    Don't forget Logan McDonald with 3 votes as the potential 2021 rising star! While way behind Rowell this took me by surprise.

Speaking of suprise, very surprised we weren't even given 1 vote to make the 8. We are miles better than adelaide and north. Personally I don't see us making the 8th but we are not bottom 4 material. Whoever said the Hawks will make the 8 needs to lay off the hard stuff

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Don't forget Logan McDonald with 3 votes as the potential 2021 rising star! While way behind Rowell this took me by surprise.

Speaking of suprise, very surprised we weren't even given 1 vote to make the 8. We are miles better than adelaide and north. Personally I don't see us making the 8th but we are not bottom 4 material. Whoever said the Hawks will make the 8 needs to lay off the hard stuff
    Whoops, I missed the McDonald votes. I must've scanned for Campbell, Gulden and Stephens, and didn't notice the prominent McDonald in front of my eyes.

Yes, can't see the Hawks making the eight, nor Essendon, who also got a vote. Was also surprised that Collingwood got 8 votes, when I think they could easily be big sliders. Alternatively, I was a bit surprised that Carlton only got one vote, as they have plenty of young talent, who have been maturing into a strong unit. Although they do already have a long injury list. And an extended period of crappiness.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    All I can say is thank god for Adelaide. I think our rebound has been delayed a year or two with the departure of Allir
    If your second thought indicates your opinion, how do you reconcile your first?
    I'm puzzled.

I see someone voted for Buddy to win the Coleman.

I think we cannot make the 8 without Buddy. If he plays most of the year it’s possible but unlikely.

More important is seeing significant growth from our crop of young players, seeing some of that talent and potential bear fruit.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    My bouyant prediction was made on the basis of negligible impact from Buddy.

What is causing me to 2nd guess is the statue rule.
    It's clearly designed to increase scoring and game speed. But I'm wondering whether it will have and adverse effect on those sides that generate a larger amount of their attack from their backline, like us.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

On the Rookie List
    Some things I would like to see:
    A live footy match, and the reserves playing a few games in Melbourne too.
    Longmire stays strong and keeps Mills in the middle.
    We take games on and play attacking football. I reckon we will and when it goes right it will be scintillating. When it goes wrong, well, it won't be much good.
    Games into all the draftees of the past couple of seasons. I would expect McDonald, Campbell, Gulden, Stephens and Warner to feature early. Gould hopefully not too long after that.
    Continued development of McInerney and Blakey. I reckon they could make a terrific wing pair for a number of years.
    Buddy to give a few more highlight reel moments.
    Tom McCartin suddenly becoming the best key position defender in the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    My bouyant prediction was made on the basis of negligible impact from Buddy.

What is causing me to 2nd guess is the statue rule.
    It's clearly designed to increase scoring and game speed. But I'm wondering whether it will have and adverse effect on those sides that generate a larger amount of their attack from their backline, like us.
    The big unknown for me is the expanded game length (relative to last year) combined with the reduced rotations. Both the direct effect (ie will we see the teams with the bulk of their players neither young nor old score heavily late in quarters, or in the final quarter?) and the indirect effect via increased injuries.

Suspended by the MRP
    Expecting about 5-8 wins this year. Too many developing players means no consistency. Not expecting that to improve this year. At least we will get games into Campbell, Gulden , Mcdonald , Warner, hopefully Gould.

Continued development of Mccartin, Florent, Dawson, Mcinerney, Stephens, Blakey. Any of them going to the next level will help. Ling gets games, Mclean gets games. Melican better pull his finger out.

Dont see an obvious spot for Wicks, Rowbottom, Bell or Hayward but good if they can push for spots in the VFL and keep the pressure on the senior team. This has been a weakness of ours for years now , too many players not good enough getting games because theres no one better than them. Think that will change with the amount of young players we've got. Hopefully they're good enough.

Liked what Longmire did with our ball movement last year, corridor corridor corridor. Who cares if it causes turnover, the pros outweigh the cons

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

Dont see an obvious spot for Wicks, Rowbottom
    *Sigh*

This is just one of probably many reasons why you're not an AFL coach. They'll both be in the round one team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Dont see an obvious spot for Wicks, Rowbottom ...
    I would think the across half forward and inside mid? Those two had a great game against GWS. I just don't get it. Were we watching different games?

As I said in the other forum, Wicks could be just what we hoped Hayward would be. I’m not giving up on Hayward, I think Logan will help his game, but we desperately need a defensive forward with footy smarts and Wicks at this early stage seems to tick those boxes.

As for the season, conservatively I’d say 7-10 wins is a great step forward and if Buddy plays 2/3 of the year we could make the finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast