Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Expectations for 2021 season

Senior Player
    GLASS HALF FULL OUTLOOK
    Interesting how a week in football can so easily upend the perspectives of pundits. A loss for us to the Gold Coast (who have actually been playing very well) had us suddenly finishing outside of the 8 for 2021, and a win for Geelong over the overrated Eagles (who are a laughing stock away from home) had them inked in as top 4 certainties / potential flag winners.
    Considering our sudden and deep run of injuries, we’ve actually performed extremely well. We have now beaten both of last year’s Grand Finalists, and the team that finished 4th on their home ground. We are sitting at 5 and 2 and lost one of those two games in the final minute. Also, we are yet to play any of the bottom three teams, North, Collingwood or Hawthorn.
    Of the 28 quarters we’ve played so far, only in four of those (Q1 v Geelong, Q4 v GWS, and Qs 2 & 3 against the Gold Coast) have we been outplayed. Of the other 24 quarters we have either been on top or highly competitive. We also saw off 3 fast starts by Essendon, Geelong and Brisbane which showed great resilience.
    We’ve weathered this current injury trough; hopefully that’s it for a while. Multiple injuries to key players is the only thing that will prevent us from making the finals this year.
    Looking forward to this weekend’s game. Historically we’ve matched up pretty well on the Dees, and I reckon they’re due for a loss. Fritsch and Tomlinson out, Rampe and Buddy back, evens things up further. A very winnable 50/50 game.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Over the last nine seasons with 18 teams, the average number of wins needed to make the finals has been 12.5.

(Two adjustments I made to calculate this:
    * I adjusted the 17-game 2020 season by multiplying Collingwood's 9.5 wins by 22/17 to get 12.5
    * I calculated the finals for 2013 from seventh position, as Essendon was relegated to ninth and that messed up the ladder.)

The most common number of wins needed to make the finals in eighth position was 12 wins. Usually, 12 wins and a good percentage was needed. 13 wins was usually good enough on its own, except in the one season where eighth place had 14 wins.

We currently have six wins. Seven more wins will be good enough to make finals in most seasons.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    At least some of us notice (read: a lot of us).

How Swans young gun James Rowbottom is taking over the midfield mantle

This part is interesting.

'Rowbottom is arguably one of the most underrated talents to come out of the famed 2018 NAB AFL Draft and is already looking like a bargain as pick No.25, but he is sure his best is yet to come.

"I just want to get better, I'm probably never going to be satisfied with how I'm playing," Rowbottom said.'

Who'd have thought that TheBloods and RB would find common ground?

Since it’s the Sunday afternoon 3.20pm game, does that mean that BT will get to call Rowbottom? Hoping there are plenty of “Wow Wees” and “Boy oh Boys” for Rowbottom. If BT came up with some more slogans, he could have his own language taught in high school.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    At least some of us notice (read: a lot of us).

How Swans young gun James Rowbottom is taking over the midfield mantle

This part is interesting.

'Rowbottom is arguably one of the most underrated talents to come out of the famed 2018 NAB AFL Draft and is already looking like a bargain as pick No.25, but he is sure his best is yet to come.

"I just want to get better, I'm probably never going to be satisfied with how I'm playing," Rowbottom said.'

Who'd have thought that TheBloods and RB would find common ground?
    Reckon whoever wrote that should of waited til the game was played this arvo before publishing that headline

Only midfield mantle he'll be taking over is the one in our VFL team

The campaigner campaigning again to his echo chamber. Give it a rest already.

Back on topic, we got a win we really needed to get today, and really should feel confident of winning our next two. Tough run after the bye, but top 8 from here should be a bare minimum.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The campaigner campaigning again to his echo chamber. Give it a rest already.

Back on topic, we got a win we really needed to get today, and really should feel confident of winning our next two. Tough run after the bye, but top 8 from here should be a bare minimum.
    Agree that the quasi-trolling is getting tiresome.

Agreed wholeheartedly about the win. I hope we put away the Saints next week. If the past couple of weeks are anything to go by, we'll give them a little headstart and try to play catch ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Agree that the quasi-trolling is getting tiresome.

Agreed wholeheartedly about the win. I hope we put away the Saints next week. If the past couple of weeks are anything to go by, we'll give them a little headstart and try to play catch ups.
    I wonder where it will be played? I sort of hope that it will remain at Marvel, as we often play well there.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The top six is starting to look settled. The teams in the top six have been the same now for a month.

Round 8: Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Geelong, Brisbane Lions, Sydney.
    Round 9: Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Brisbane Lions, Port Adelaide, Sydney.
    Round 10: Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane Lions, Port Adelaide, Sydney.
    Round 11: Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane Lions, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Sydney.

Sydney are the only side with seven wins. Sydney are a game and percentage behind fifth and a game and percentage ahead of seventh. Next two games are St Kilda and Hawthorn, then the bye.

The bottom part of the eight is more fluid. West Coast and Richmond are vulnerable with four sides below them only one win behind. Next week's games include Carlton vs West Coast and Richmond vs Essendon - two games that will play a big role shaping the bottom part of the eight.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    We look the sixth or seventh best team at the moment - sixth on the ladder and sixth best percentage, but injury ridden Tigers behind us.

Reckon we had 18 of our best 22 out there today, with the following to come back in:
    - Hickey (for Sinclair)
    - Reid (for McLean)
    - Gulden (for Stephens)
    - Fox (for Brand).

It is pretty even up the top. We should give a contest against all teams, particularly if Heeney and Franklin can stay fit.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Reckon whoever wrote that should of waited til the game was played this arvo before publishing that headline

Only midfield mantle he'll be taking over is the one in our VFL team
    You miss a lot.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You miss a lot.
    Did you see him play ? Were you there ? Because he was atrocious. I have low expectations of him and he failed to even meet them . 14 possessions none of them standouts for a 3rd year onballer is nowhere near good enough and his footy smarts or lackof should be indefensible

Lets say im wrong about him though and he does become a star, hes miles off that at this point , as of rd 11 2021 hes a very very average player who does some nice things from time to time. So its just @@@@@@@ stupid to publish a headline saying hes taking over the midfield mantle ! He hasnt taken over anything yet , not even Chad has ! Our co captains saved his bacon today and spared him being exposed by how not up to the level he currently is ! Thank christ hes not actually taking over the mantle or our midfield would be at an all time low