Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 213

Thread: 2021 pre-season general footy chat

  1. #49
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Seems Collingwood has been found guilty of "Systemic Racism". There is the full article on the ABC news site. Eddie might be on the way out a little earlier than expected.
    P.S. sorry about screwing up the thread.
    Apparently Collingwood has seconded the entire Woolies Virtue Signalling Dept, who do such a great job on TV trying
    to enunciate the beautiful and harmonious relationship that exists between the grocery store giant and local farmers and small suppliers.
    And right on cue, Eddie is already talking about what a "proud" day for Collingwood this is...

  2. #50
    Thanks, aardvark, for saving me from stuffing up the thread instead. I was going to post links to this and the accompanying long and edifying read by Russell Jackson about the Lumumba case.

    * The review delivered its impressively damning findings a month ago. A few days later Eddie Maguire announced he would retire at season's end. Despite Collingwood FC's promise to make the findings of the review public, this leak is the first we have heard of it. I guess the club was trying to figure out how they could spin and manage the bad news and looking for a discreet time to announce it. Doesn't come at a good time, after their disastrous trade period. It is, however, to Collingwood's credit that they commissioned this review. I suspect that they will not be able to ignore it and the club will benefit and be reformed for the better. I wonder what it does for Nathan Buckley's career prospects? - it's not altogether positive about him. Combined with his role in pushing Treloar and Stephenson from the club, it could all come back to bite if the Pies don't perform on the field this season.

    * The Jackson article is sympathetic to Lumumba, which seems fitting, not least because there have been so many unsympathetic articles about him, which is highlighted by the article. I have to confess I was influenced by the previous reporting about the case to think that, while there may have been merits to Lumumba's claims of racism, he also seemed to be a bit disgruntled/unhinged. To read another side of his story was really valuable and even educational about racism generally. It has made me reconsider my views. I think it's positive that such in depth and progressive reporting has (belatedly) made it to a such a mainstream platform as ABC. I'm not so sure this would have happened even 5 years ago, before MeToo and BLM. We are all learning, and we are all benefitting from the embrace of greater diversity across our society. (Well, many of us are. Not sure about Eddie.)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  3. #51
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,537
    I'm just glad that Eddie and the gang will be moving on sooner or later and the culture of racism at Collingwood, hopefully, will be eliminated. Time for the Pies to move into the 21st century.

  4. #52
    Veterans List dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    5,471
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Apparently Collingwood has seconded the entire Woolies Virtue Signalling Dept, who do such a great job on TV trying
    to enunciate the beautiful and harmonious relationship that exists between the grocery store giant and local farmers and small suppliers.
    And right on cue, Eddie is already talking about what a "proud" day for Collingwood this is...
    Yes, it's a proud day for Eddie: in much the same as donating money to cancer research, is a proud day for a tobacco company.

  5. #53
    I see that Collingwood - and Eddie - are now busy spinning this as fast as they can. They seem to be going out of their way to minimise the report's adverse findings. I think this is the opposite of what they should be doing - the great thing about commissioning the report is that they have taken responsibility for their actions and working to be better. They are rightly proud of this - but all the minimising of the adverse content goes in the exact opposite direction.

    In a similar vein, on their website they claim to have "released" the report - but there is no accompanying link and it doesn't appear to be published there.


    What is positive is that they are committing to implementing all of the report's recommendations - which is better than governments usually manage after they commission set up Royal Commissions.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  6. #54
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,298
    "McGuire also said Collingwood has “led the way” in the fight against racism since he became president 22 years ago."

    Is he for real? He's got a touch of the "Donald Trumps" about him! The report is scathing. How McGuire can make anything positive out of it is beyond me!

  7. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    "McGuire also said Collingwood has “led the way” in the fight against racism since he became president 22 years ago."

    Is he for real? He's got a touch of the "Donald Trumps" about him! The report is scathing. How McGuire can make anything positive out of it is beyond me!
    A touch...????

    He is delusional.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

  8. #56
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    A touch...????

    He is delusional.
    Ok, more than a touch.

    McGuire claiming this is a proud day for Collingwood is like Trump bragging that the discovery of a vaccine for the coronavirus happened on his watch.

  9. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks, aardvark, for saving me from stuffing up the thread instead. I was going to post links to this and the accompanying long and edifying read by Russell Jackson about the Lumumba case.

    * The review delivered its impressively damning findings a month ago. A few days later Eddie Maguire announced he would retire at season's end. Despite Collingwood FC's promise to make the findings of the review public, this leak is the first we have heard of it. I guess the club was trying to figure out how they could spin and manage the bad news and looking for a discreet time to announce it. Doesn't come at a good time, after their disastrous trade period. It is, however, to Collingwood's credit that they commissioned this review. I suspect that they will not be able to ignore it and the club will benefit and be reformed for the better. I wonder what it does for Nathan Buckley's career prospects? - it's not altogether positive about him. Combined with his role in pushing Treloar and Stephenson from the club, it could all come back to bite if the Pies don't perform on the field this season.

    * The Jackson article is sympathetic to Lumumba, which seems fitting, not least because there have been so many unsympathetic articles about him, which is highlighted by the article. I have to confess I was influenced by the previous reporting about the case to think that, while there may have been merits to Lumumba's claims of racism, he also seemed to be a bit disgruntled/unhinged. To read another side of his story was really valuable and even educational about racism generally. It has made me reconsider my views. I think it's positive that such in depth and progressive reporting has (belatedly) made it to a such a mainstream platform as ABC. I'm not so sure this would have happened even 5 years ago, before MeToo and BLM. We are all learning, and we are all benefitting from the embrace of greater diversity across our society. (Well, many of us are. Not sure about Eddie.)
    Well said.

  10. #58
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    15,228
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    the great thing about commissioning the report is that they have taken responsibility for their actions and working to be better. They are rightly proud of this -
    .
    You're being quite generous to them with that observation (snipped from your longer post but not - I hope - to the extent of removing context).

    Lumumba's allegations go back a few years. Collingwood have spent that time denying them, or saying they were in the past, or otherwise distancing themselves. I suspect that it's only because Lumumba launched legal action against them (or at least threatened to) that they finally got around to seeing if they was substance to his allegations. Not sure that's much to be proud of.

  11. #59
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    6,571
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Apparently Collingwood has seconded the entire Woolies Virtue Signalling Dept, who do such a great job on TV trying
    to enunciate the beautiful and harmonious relationship that exists between the grocery store giant and local farmers and small suppliers.
    And right on cue, Eddie is already talking about what a "proud" day for Collingwood this is...
    I saw that on the news.....it floored me. Only Eddie could put that sort of Trumpian spin on this deplorable situation.

  12. #60
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    4,246

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO