Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 pre-season general footy chat

Veterans List
    Of course, Titus nails it:

Eddie McGuire: No need to thank me for ending racism globally - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself

In regard to my previous post that has now been thankfully removed because an ABC link stuffed up the thread, check the ABC website and read Russell Jacksons article headlined "Trumpian bullet points, deflections and denials. This was Maguires Four Seasons Total Mansplaining." It's very good.

With Tom Scully announcing his retirement, the transfer of Issac Smith and the strife that Patton is in I wonder how Hawthorn are going to fare this year?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    With Tom Scully announcing his retirement, the transfer of Issac Smith and the strife that Patton is in I wonder how Hawthorn are going to fare this year?
    @@@@

Thanks for posting. I checked out Titus this morning before he had posted it. I always enjoy his take - some incisive points smothered in rib-splitting humour.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Women’s team remains a priority

Sounds like it will be a while until we see a Swans AFLW team run out on the SCG.

Veterans List
    I get the impression that while they say it's a priority.....it actually isn't. Happy to be proven wrong on this.....I want a Swans women's team.

Having said that, are the new facilities at the Royal whatever site still going ahead? Anyone know what's happening there?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I get the impression that while they say it's a priority.....it actually isn't. Happy to be proven wrong on this.....I want a Swans women's team.

Having said that, are the new facilities at the Royal whatever site still going ahead? Anyone know what's happening there?
    Why doubt it? The club has a plausible explanation for not being ready - no training facilities available. They had a plan to rectify this - the Royal Hall of Industries - but it was derailed by Covid. They have gone full-steam ahead with the girls Academy and presumably the major benefit of that program will be to feed the AFLW, which isn't much of a benefit if we don't have a team. Possibly they could be doing more but I don't really doubt they sincerely want an AFLW team. Besides which I imagine the AFL will want us to have an AFLW team because Sydney is a huge market and GWS don't have anywhere near the Swans market penetration. Also the AFL will ultimately want an 18 team competition to mirror the AFLM.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Why doubt it? The club has a plausible explanation for not being ready - no training facilities available. They had a plan to rectify this - the Royal Hall of Industries - but it was derailed by Covid. They have gone full-steam ahead with the girls Academy and presumably the major benefit of that program will be to feed the AFLW, which isn't much of a benefit if we don't have a team. Possibly they could be doing more but I don't really doubt they sincerely want an AFLW team. Besides which I imagine the AFL will want us to have an AFLW team because Sydney is a huge market and GWS don't have anywhere near the Swans market penetration. Also the AFL will ultimately want an 18 team competition to mirror the AFLM.
    Totally agree. Add to that a $6 million loss last year (that I assume wiped out any reasonable 'rainy day fund' we had, let alone money for the Royal Hall project), then I can see why its a 'slow and steady' approach on an AFLW team as such. Would love to see us have one, but I fully expect it'll be a couple of years at least until the AFLW expands to include the 4 clubs that aren't there.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The committment to the womans programme is certainly reflected in the mens academy programmes. The mens academy only start back training next week whereas normally it would have been a month ago , and much of the early trial games used to be in february / march whereas now they arent until April. Its not covid but the womans programme that has dictated this change.

Veterans List
    ABC have just said that the Collingwood Football Club has announced that it will be holding a press conference soon.

Eddie finally falling on his sword?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    ABC have just said that the Collingwood Football Club has announced that it will be holding a press conference soon.

Eddie finally falling on his sword?
    sure did!

Eddie McGuire steps down as Collingwood president, effective immediately

So long mcchins , I hope and pray you don't end up on an AFL commission.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast