Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1: the other games. Are we there yet? Yes; yes we are.

Round 1: the other games. Are we there yet? Yes; yes we are.

Since round one kicks off tonight, I thought that I should start a thread where we can discuss the games other than our own.

The first game is Richmond v Carlton: a game that the AFL tends to claim is the traditional start to the season. Even if the most recent incarnation of that tradition started in 2015, and as far as I know, the only other time that it was a thing, was between 2008 and 2011. Anyway, there's a fair chance that it'll be a decent game. With all the young talent that Carlton have been amassing over the years, they really should be a serious finals contender. Although a quick glance at their already lengthy injury list, suggests that their long suffering fans, may have to suffer a little bit longer.

Though the result of the game is almost irrelevant to many people. What's more important is that top flight football is back in Melbourne, and that fans can once again flock to the MCG. Not that I've spent much time in Victoria, but I suspect that many Victorians have felt that they've been missing an important part of their identity, and that finally, things are almost back to normality.

Friday's Collingwood v Bulldogs game is also that the MCG. Which I guess will give some sort of early indication, of just how much Collingwood's problematic off-season will effect them. Maybe the player exodus will be balanced by the McGuire exodus?

Prior to our match against Brisbane on Saturday night, there's Melbourne v Fremantle, Adelaide v Geelong and Hawthorn v Essendon. I'm sure that Hawks and Bomber fans are enthused by that game, but I'm certainly not. The Demons and Dockers game might be interesting, though. Both teams have the potential to play some attractive football and rise up the ladder, but past history suggests that it won't be both. It's more likely that over the course of the season, one team will look like genuine contenders and the other will descend into a basket case, and at the moment, it would be folly to predict who will be playing which role.

On Sunday, it's North v Port. I think the general consensus is that this could get ugly: most people's tip for the wooden spoon playing many people's premiers. Then it's GWS v St Kilda, where surprisingly GWS are clear favourites; although the Saints have got a bit of an injury list. Then to finish the round, it's West Coast v Gold Coast. The Eagles are strong favourites in this, but I reckon there's a pretty good chance of an upset. The Suns are now a bit like GWS were about five seasons ago, with a huge number of high draft picks. So, if a majority them click, they're capable of beating anyone on their day.

Let the games begin.

Richmond v Carlton is a terrible way to start the season. Has there ever been a close game in the 'many' years of the tradition.

I'd rather kick off the season with the bigger non-vic rivalry from the previous year or two. WC v Port would have more interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Richmond v Carlton is a terrible way to start the season. Has there ever been a close game in the 'many' years of the tradition.

I'd rather kick off the season with the bigger non-vic rivalry from the previous year or two. WC v Port would have more interest to me.
    I don't know; assuming that the season starts at the MCG, I wouldn't mind seeing the two highest ranked Victorian teams from the previous year kick off the new season. It's unlikely to be a grand final rematch, which I never really liked when they sometimes used to do that.

That would be fine too.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Early days but a great game so far.....question is, can Carlton keep it close?

Veterans List
    Every first game of the season.....season on season, brings absolutely no confidence whatsoever that the standard of AFL umpiring is ever going to improve. Two of the worst decisions earlier in this second quarter. No reward for Silvagni's epic run down of McIntosh who dropped the ball and then a deliberate rushed behind decision against Jones of Carlton, who never had control of the ball. The crowd screamed and the umpire rewarded them. Pathetic. It just never improves.....could be a frustrating season. Buckle up!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Every first game of the season.....season on season, brings absolutely no confidence whatsoever that the standard of AFL umpiring is ever going to improve. Two of the worst decisions earlier in this second quarter. No reward for Silvagni's epic run down of McIntosh who dropped the ball and then a deliberate rushed behind decision against Jones of Carlton, who never had control of the ball. The crowd screamed and the umpire rewarded them. Pathetic. It just never improves.....could be a frustrating season. Buckle up!
    Absolutely - really great game - absorbing - then a run of momentum changing decisions. Still great to have footy back

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    We need constant factors in the game. Its not like rules ever stay the same, so may as well be the utter incompetence of the umpires instead that does!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Blues are right in this game. And have been able to move the ball v Tigers very effectively

I'm definitely barracking for Anyone But Richmond this year

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I'm definitely barracking for Anyone But Richmond this year
    Yes, I'm a bit over the dynasty. A nice place for them to finish would be ninth.

I think the use of the sub by teams is going to be a big talking point this season judging on what we saw tonight.

It was great to see a crowd at the football and a relatively open style of game. Dusty is a freak.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast