Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
New to this so not sure who is right, but points where i come from bring the top teams down. Bottom teams do nothing and stanard drops

Great to see a bit of banter. Didn't think was any in Sydney until I saw this. Nothing at all on the local comp any where - bit boring

Just quitely how happy with yourself would you need to be to call yourself Tom Wills on a footy forum

I have said it before here but the points system is pointless and not fit for purpose. As you say - "but points where I come from bring the top teams down. Bottom teams do nothing and standard drops". This is what points systems are for in developed footy markets - i.e. equalisation to a level that is still acceptable to all. A bit like equalisation in the AFL itself. In Sydney the standard is way too low overall for first grade footy for a major city (and its a massive city), so if you are doing things like this to bring better performing clubs back a peg or too (or make their life harder - I have to agree with Bomber on those aspects) you are just dragging things down to a lower level and turning people off, which is what they are doing with this policy. I saw the salty remarks above and did some asking around and I have to agree its pretty unethical having the fellows who brought in the scheme in all their wisdom now exploiting it in their new club related roles (looks and smells bad). Tom Wills, you are ordinarily one of my favourite posters so I will say this Tom - there can and should be policies in place to help clubs improve and develop. A points system is not this though, promotion/relegation provides a club pathway and there was/is criteria. If Clubs can recruit well in one year and create junior connections etc go for it - but do it without AFL policy assistance and intervention, like other clubs have done over time without league assisted short cuts. The points system is objectionable overall as it is pulling other clubs down/restricting them and its open to subjective implementation by officials as designed - see unethical comment above - for goodness sake in Sydney let the coaches pick their best available teams not fit them to someone's overnight dream of a scheme. This is NOT the way to continue the development of a still developing footy market which has yet to reach appropriate levels in terms of football standard or club development. Get rid of the points system and give all clubs a green light (and help them) to reach the highest standards they can in appropriate competitions for their stage of development.