Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Veteran Site Admin
    I thought the Suns were good for their win but the Swans did OK to hang in there. There were names like Harbrow (didn't realise he wasn't playing seniors), Atkins, McPherson, Fiorini, Brodie running around for the Suns, all with senior experience. We probably had a similar number with Gray, Taylor, COR and Clarke (and McCartin) but some of theirs are probably more the future than ours. The Suns' field kicking was far more precise than ours, and they had some genuine speed in their forward line. Malcolm Rosas, in particular, looked liked an exciting prospect.

Our midfield trio got plenty of the ball, and all played creditably well but I agree with the comment above that they are really irrelevant in terms of the future, just some depth if we really desperately need it at senior level this year.

Stevens got better as the game went on. His final quarter was really good. Gould seems to be getting some sense of what he needs to do to win a senior spot. I thought some of his one-on-one defensive work last week was pretty good, but this week he showed a broader range of attributes - seemed to be getting more proactive.

Ling was another out there who might represent the future. Today he had a shocker. I'm happy to just put it down to "one of those days" and reserve judgement for another week or three. In one of the pre-season games he looked really good.

The battle between Amartey and Johnson (?) was really entertaining. I thought Johnson had the better of it overall but Amartey still had plenty of scoring opportunities. I'm no football technician, but it looks to me like Amartey urgently needs a session with Plugger to right his goal kicking routine. It wasn't just that he missed a couple of gettable shots, it was the way he missed them. Looked like a technique issue with his body positioning. If he harbours any hopes of inching his way into the senior team he'll need to be more convincing in front of goal.

Veterans List
    I was at the ground and I thought Amartey played really well. Took some nice marks and presented well. He is far more mobile than McLean and has ok skills.

Gould to me looks more like a midfielder. Incredibly well built, strong and moves well.

Great to hear real positive reports on Gould finally, and not just questions. Hopefully it's the start of a big block of development and form for him and he presses soon.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Gould to me looks more like a midfielder. Incredibly well built, strong and moves well.
    He may look it, but his tank is a long way short of that. At the moment it's just about sufficient for playing halfback in the VFL.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 25th April 2021 at 11:42 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Agree. Thought Gould's third quarter was outstanding. Not sure if he has the endurance to be a midfielder, but I would like to see him given a go at AFL level. Amartey took some good marks but had no support, and often had 2-3 GG players to contend with.

Work rate was mentioned by both Gould and Amartey as the reason why we lost. Maybe the boys were flogged too hard in the preseason or did not do enough as the lethargy on show in the firsts seems to be a squad wide problem.

We have an incredibly young list, which means guys who have not done many pre seasons. Not surprising to have a period where the boys are tired. What matters is how they find a way mid season to recharge and go again.

Senior Player
    Does anybody know if the match video is going to be made available? Can't find it on the website.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Work rate was mentioned by both Gould and Amartey as the reason why we lost.
    It's hard to know if it was some self-criticism about the work rate or criticism of others about their work rate, as they both referred to the team's effort. I thought the work effort of Gould and Amartey were okay, Perhaps Amartey could have done better in halving some contests, although he was our main weapon up forward.

In any case, both were good and should be in the mix for selection, even though I think both could find the step up to AFL a challenge, especially against the experience of Geelong.

After these games at GC, I'm in favour of rotating more players through the senior side, including both the younger players, like Gould and Amartey, and the experienced players, like Taylor, Gray, Clarke and O'Riordan, who all played well.

One thing I took out of the Melbourne-Richmond game was the realisation of just how long it takes to build a premiership level side. Richmond have done it after quite a long haul and now Melbourne seem to have finally reached that level, also after struggling for so many years to get the player mix and game plan right. I would like to have us continue getting senior games into players, resting younger players before they tire out, and experimenting more with different player combinations.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's hard to know if it was some self-criticism about the work rate or criticism of others about their work rate, as they both referred to the team's effort. I thought the work effort of Gould and Amartey were okay, Perhaps Amartey could have done better in halving some contests, although he was our main weapon up forward.

In any case, both were good and should be in the mix for selection, even though I think both could find the step up to AFL a challenge, especially against the experience of Geelong.

After these games at GC, I'm in favour of rotating more players through the senior side, including both the younger players, like Gould and Amartey, and the experienced players, like Taylor, Gray, Clarke and O'Riordan, who all played well.

One thing I took out of the Melbourne-Richmond game was the realisation of just how long it takes to build a premiership level side. Richmond have done it after quite a long haul and now Melbourne seem to have finally reached that level, also after struggling for so many years to get the player mix and game plan right. I would like to have us continue getting senior games into players, resting younger players before they tire out, and experimenting more with different player combinations.
    Agree with all that.

The first three weeks of the year we were fresh and fit and had our best 21 playing (Franklin missing). It showed that our best 22 is really good.

But we are still pretty shallow, particularly in key positions. Without Rampe and McCartin our defence looks pregnable. Some of those best 22 are kids. So, with injuries to vital players and the vicissitudes of the season, the drop-off has been significant as the best 22 has taken a hit in numbers and knocks.

The best players not playing are young and inexperienced. We don't have much quality senior depth. It's going to be hard to win any game with Melican, Brand, McLean and Sinclair all thudding around on the same paddock.

Stephens has to come in next week. I'd like to see McDonald backed. Hopefully McCartin is fit. Might be time to let Gould at it.

Particularly interested to see whether Naismith gets a run in the VFL.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    From the VFL website ​VFL Match Centre - GameDay

Gold Coast Suns
    1.4-10 6.7-43 10.8-68 14.11-95
    Sydney Swans 2.3-15 6.6-42 7.9-51 12.9-81

GOLD COAST SUNS
    Goal Kickers: W. Bella 3, W. Brodie 2, M. Rosas 2, D. MacPherson 2, T. Hofert, Z. Smith, J. Hombsch, J. Sharp, J. Jeffrey
    Best Players: J. Johnston, D. MacPherson, H. Oea, W. Brodie, J. Sharp, M. Rosas

SYDNEY SWANS
    Goal Kickers: S. Thorne 3, J. Amartey 3, J. Bell 2, L. Taylor, L. McDonald, W. Gould, H. Morrison
    Best Players: W. Gould, C. O''Riordan, P. McCartin, D. Stephens, L. McAndrew

There's now a supposed highlights package of the game on the Swans website. I won't even bother linking to it, because almost all of it, is just our players taking set shots at goal. The only bit of free moving play, is Sam Thorne roving a goal.