Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Not great to be beaten by a goal on the siren, especially after getting 10 points in front, late in the final quarter and coming home with a strong wind. I thought Clarke and Stephens did pretty well in providing the drive to get us in front and Blakey had a couple of nice forward fifty entries: one of which led to a Ronke mark and goal, who's returning well from a long injury lay off.

Then I'm not really sure what went wrong. A lack of composure and confidence when it mattered? A lack of cohesion between players? Is that a result of not very good coaching, or a side whose composition changes markedly from week to week? Who knows?
    Our defence looks leaky at both levels.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: H. Mclean 4, H. Morrison 3, A. Gulden 2, B. Ronke 2, R. van Huisstede 2, D. Cordell, C. Sinclair, R. Clarke

Best Players: C. Sinclair, R. Clarke, H. Morrison, H. Mclean, N. Blakey, C. O''Riordan

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: H. Mclean 4, H. Morrison 3, A. Gulden 2, B. Ronke 2, R. van Huisstede 2, D. Cordell, C. Sinclair, R. Clarke

Best Players: C. Sinclair, R. Clarke, H. Morrison, H. Mclean, N. Blakey, C. O''Riordan
    Notable names missing Stephens, Ling, Gould and Brand. If they can not make the best players list then they are hardly busting the door down to get back into the AFL. Pretty disappointing.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Notable names missing Stephens, Ling, Gould and Brand. If they can not make the best players list then they are hardly busting the door down to get back into the AFL. Pretty disappointing.
    Did you watch the game?

I thought Ling was good through the first three quarters. Distributed well by foot and ran well a couple of times.

Stephens got a bunch of it, but again his disposal was not incisive.

I watched the game and I thought that Stephens was good. Did some classy things and kept running all day. Ling was OK too. Brand was solid up back without doing anything especially memorable. Given teams are now successfully exploiting our lack of height in defence in the seniors I think Brand will get a call up for our next game. Gould did little and is in trouble with his career. I doubt he will be there next year but hopefully I am wrong on that.

Regular in the Side
    I just caught the replay on Kayo, and from that limited viewpoint I thought Stephens was quite good. He was busy all day, however his disposal was certainly inconsistent. Clarke played a similar game, but appeared to be more aware of his limitations, so was tidier with his disposal.
    Brand i thought was solid - Sam Day is a pretty good opponent. However he played a negating role (which might have been useful in the seniors), and was not prominent offensively. O'Riordan I thought played the opposite of this - looking to play on and bring the ball through the corridor, but sometimes took too many risks.
    Ling and Gould were ok without really standing out. Gould is a 20yo key position player so I am prepared to be patient with him, however Ling is 22 and been 4 years in the system. If you didn't know his draft position there would be no talk of giving him a run in the seniors. Hope he plays out of his skin in the back half of the year.
    I'm surprised Sinclair was given best on. The Suns played without a proper ruck and still seemed to get the majority of clearances. However this may be just because our centre square combination was out-played by Fiorini & Brodie. I thought our best was McLean.
    Another player missing from the bests was Ronke. Ran really hard all game, minded his opponent and created offensively. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    I just caught the replay on Kayo, and from that limited viewpoint I thought Stephens was quite good. He was busy all day, however his disposal was certainly inconsistent. Clarke played a similar game, but appeared to be more aware of his limitations, so was tidier with his disposal.
    Brand i thought was solid - Sam Day is a pretty good opponent. However he played a negating role (which might have been useful in the seniors), and was not prominent offensively. O'Riordan I thought played the opposite of this - looking to play on and bring the ball through the corridor, but sometimes took too many risks.
    Ling and Gould were ok without really standing out. Gould is a 20yo key position player so I am prepared to be patient with him, however Ling is 22 and been 4 years in the system. If you didn't know his draft position there would be no talk of giving him a run in the seniors. Hope he plays out of his skin in the back half of the year.
    I'm surprised Sinclair was given best on. The Suns played without a proper ruck and still seemed to get the majority of clearances. However this may be just because our centre square combination was out-played by Fiorini & Brodie. I thought our best was McLean.
    Another player missing from the bests was Ronke. Ran really hard all game, minded his opponent and created offensively. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in the seniors.
    I agree about Ronke. Plenty of energy in his game and he physically looks good - clearly been working on his strength during his rehab. Wouldn't be surprised to see him come in for Wicks with Gulden to return via VFL.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Matty, I think that the NRL coaches would teach the players to tackle ball and all together with bring them to ground. It would be a lot more difficult to give a hand ball from falling to and being on the ground. I remember how Paul Bevan used to tackle, a pleasure to watch.
    Much the way Heeney generally tackles too. I think our tackling is a significant level below in general our best (going back to the mid 2010s and of course the 05/06 teams). Still too many tackles at both reserves and seniors level easily broken - part of that is a young list with immature bodies, part of that I think is the technique isn't what it once was. Should be a key focus for mine in coming years.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Blakey. If he can produce another strong game off HB, he should come into consideration. We have lacked drive of HB, especially by foot with no one really taking the defence on.

McLean. Jiath absolutely murdered us last night. Heeney was on him but did not make him accountable and he was able to do as he pleased in defence. McLean was great at running the opposition's key defender out of the play and a strong showing could bring him into contention, especially given how quiet Logan was last night.
    Blakey looks a fabulous prospect as a rebounder. I'd like to think he can also learn to use his speed and height to be an excellent interceptor too. But I haven't yet seen evidence he is a defender He needs to keep working hard in the 2s and bang down the door for a recall. And it shouldn't be easy with the returning talent: Warner will come back into the senior team and Gulden and Campbell won't be far behind. Stephens and especially Blakey need to work for it. Blakey has 50 games of senior experience and needs to be way more consistent, especially within games.

If Heeney couldn't keep Jiath honest I'm not sure McLean would have either. McLean might come back in but that would be at Amartey's expense and not otherwise (barring injury).

Ronke to hopefully put pressure on Wicks for his spot. I wonder if there's any chance we would play Ronke, Wicks and Papley in the same team with Ronke coming in for Hayward? Would love to see Ronke return to his best. It's been a long time since we've seen it but he has been dealing with injuries. Ronke's best is best 22. I rewatched highlights of his third ever match against the Hawks and gee they were great - his 2nd, 6th and 7th goals in particular.

Lloyd and Cunningham both pulled up sore after our Hawks match. Most likely they will recover in time but if not could be a chance for another defender. Wonder whether they'll give Ling a go? More likely they'll return to COR. And, if they don't, that would be worrying and sad for him. Just as he looked on the cusp of breaking into the best 22 before he was injured last year.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

We should bring back Rhyce Shaw to coach the VFL team, if he's out of contract with GC this year.

If not available, sign brother Heath for the job. I'm sure he'll be a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Blakey looks a fabulous prospect as a rebounder. I'd like to think he can also learn to use his speed and height to be an excellent interceptor too. But I haven't yet seen evidence he is a defender He needs to keep working hard in the 2s and bang down the door for a recall. And it shouldn't be easy with the returning talent: Warner will come back into the senior team and Gulden and Campbell won't be far behind. Stephens and especially Blakey need to work for it. Blakey has 50 games of senior experience and needs to be way more consistent, especially within games.

If Heeney couldn't keep Jiath honest I'm not sure McLean would have either. McLean might come back in but that would be at Amartey's expense and not otherwise (barring injury).

Ronke to hopefully put pressure on Wicks for his spot. I wonder if there's any chance we would play Ronke, Wicks and Papley in the same team with Ronke coming in for Hayward? Would love to see Ronke return to his best. It's been a long time since we've seen it but he has been dealing with injuries. Ronke's best is best 22. I rewatched highlights of his third ever match against the Hawks and gee they were great - his 2nd, 6th and 7th goals in particular.

Lloyd and Cunningham both pulled up sore after our Hawks match. Most likely they will recover in time but if not could be a chance for another defender. Wonder whether they'll give Ling a go? More likely they'll return to COR. And, if they don't, that would be worrying and sad for him. Just as he looked on the cusp of breaking into the best 22 before he was injured last year.
    Can't see Ronke replacing Hayward - would leave us very short of those sorts of targets like Hayward/Heeney that play as medium-talls rather than medium-small forwards if you get what I mean (in terms of height).

I hope Ronke can rediscover some of those early glimpses he gave. Still think its likely that game against the Hawks is likely to be the one major career highlight - but still a damn nice one to have. And I really hope he proves me wrong.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We should bring back Rhyce Shaw to coach the VFL team, if he's out of contract with GC this year.

If not available, sign brother Heath for the job. I'm sure he'll be a great coach.
    Nick Malceski would be good too. He was cut as GC Neafl coach in the great Covid purge of 2020. Currently coaching QAFL club Labrador who are coming second after finishing equal last in 2020 with one win. He has done amazing things there, essentially bringing the bloods culture to the club.