Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Nice to see them playing on the same day as the seniors against GWS (Shame it is that early and not a little bit later - but not bad).

Lol I love the 'council training oval' title for the other ground at Metricon

- - - Updated - - -

I assume that may be the ground just out the back perhaps?
    Strangely, I can't really recall seeing another ground there, but when I go next time, I suspect it's location is going to be obvious. Personally, it's probably because my attention was on other things, whenever I went there. Like, manoeuvring my bicycle through the chaotic traffic set up, wondering why I need to go the gate on the south western side of the ground, when my seat is in the north east section, and marvelling at the inflated food prices.

Still, assuming that it's not going to be wet, it should be pleasant to wander down early and watch the ressies.

Unfortunate that we don't seem to be playing Southport, as I would have liked to watch us play at Sharks. Although, I might have a look at the occasional Southport game.

Why oh why do we have zero/zilch/nada at an SCG home game. I miss watching the 2's before the main game.

How are we ever to know how and who are ready to move up in the team.

I would really love to see P McC play.

Are we ever going to get them back? Nothing like 6 hours of live footy in a day.

😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫

On the Rookie List
    Excited for the games in Melbourne, particularly Casey and Sandringham. Was hoping for Frankston too but will take what has been scheduled.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    And there's a VFL practice match against the Giants Sunday 21st March at Tom Wills Oval. Not sure if it's open to the public.
    Looks like Buddy could be playing in this game

AFL news: Sydney Swans' Lance Franklin trains with reserves

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    Why oh why do we have zero/zilch/nada at an SCG home game. I miss watching the 2's before the main game.

How are we ever to know how and who are ready to move up in the team.

I would really love to see P McC play.

Are we ever going to get them back? Nothing like 6 hours of live footy in a day.

😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫

6 hours of live football? What a terrible idea, just ask anyone in marketing. It'd get in the way of the "Gameday Experience"

Saddened that there's Swans game against "The Borough" - the fixture people clearly have no respect for history.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 23rd March 2021 at 04:43 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Looks like Buddy could be playing in this game

AFL news: Sydney Swans' Lance Franklin trains with reserves
    *eyebrow raise emoji*

- - - Updated - - -

Surprisingly we don't have a game against the Lions

GWS 3
    Sandringham 2
    Aspley 1
    Box Hill 1
    Carlton 1
    Casey Demons 1
    Coburg 1
    Collingwood 1
    Essendon 1
    Footscray 1
    Frankston 1
    Gold Coast 1
    Geelong 1

Brisbane 0
    North Melbourne 0
    Northern Bullants 0
    Port Melbourne 0
    Richmond 0
    Southport 0
    Werribee 0
    Williamstown 0

Byes 3
    Such a positive development to so improve the quality of games played by our reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Strangely, I can't really recall seeing another ground there, but when I go next time, I suspect it's location is going to be obvious. Personally, it's probably because my attention was on other things, whenever I went there. Like, manoeuvring my bicycle through the chaotic traffic set up, wondering why I need to go the gate on the south western side of the ground, when my seat is in the north east section, and marvelling at the inflated food prices.

Still, assuming that it's not going to be wet, it should be pleasant to wander down early and watch the ressies.

Unfortunate that we don't seem to be playing Southport, as I would have liked to watch us play at Sharks. Although, I might have a look at the occasional Southport game.
    Hahaha yep its pretty obvious just out the back to the east of the ground I believe (maybe you've never been round that side of that strange setup). I like it as a place to watch footy, but its got its odd-bod elements you nicely highlighted!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

In an article on the AFL site, about Jamarra Ugle-Hagan not being quite ready for his debut, there was this bit, suggesting that the rules that are being trialled in the VFL this season, will make it more difficult to get players match fit.

"The VFL this season is trialling zones for stoppages, with a minimum of three players from each team needing to be stationed inside 50 – including a pair in the goalsquare – at all kick-ins, boundary throw-ins and ball-ups.

In Friday's practice game, there were several times where the resumption of play was stopped as umpires reorganised players to ensure they were correctly zoned.

Beveridge said it was a "spanner in the works" when deciding on team selection with a variation of rules for his players across both squads.

"Even in this game Jamarra didn't run anywhere near like he's going to be required to run in an AFL game so it's actually going to hold a player like Jamarra back because we can't get that match conditioning that he needs at AFL level," he said."

To me, those changes are idiotic and totally against playing a free flowing, overlapping run game. Not to mention all the time that will be wasted, while umpires get the players back into the goalsquares and 50s. The sooner that they're canned, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In an article on the AFL site, about Jamarra Ugle-Hagan not being quite ready for his debut, there was this bit, suggesting that the rules that are being trialled in the VFL this season, will make it more difficult to get players match fit.

"The VFL this season is trialling zones for stoppages, with a minimum of three players from each team needing to be stationed inside 50 – including a pair in the goalsquare – at all kick-ins, boundary throw-ins and ball-ups.

In Friday's practice game, there were several times where the resumption of play was stopped as umpires reorganised players to ensure they were correctly zoned.

Beveridge said it was a "spanner in the works" when deciding on team selection with a variation of rules for his players across both squads.

"Even in this game Jamarra didn't run anywhere near like he's going to be required to run in an AFL game so it's actually going to hold a player like Jamarra back because we can't get that match conditioning that he needs at AFL level," he said."

To me, those changes are idiotic and totally against playing a free flowing, overlapping run game. Not to mention all the time that will be wasted, while umpires get the players back into the goalsquares and 50s. The sooner that they're canned, the better.

I agree. How are players going to go when they are chosen to play in the firsts?

Any word on the reserves game this week?

The rules were being trialled to help speed up the elite game next year. Given the incredible success of the man on the mark rule, it's not going to be necessary, and the rule will likely be scrapped mid year or end of year.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Any word on the reserves game this week?

This tweet suggests there was a practice game between GWS and Swans (I'm assuming) at Tramway Oval (I'm assuming)

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast