Page 37 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't agree it was an impressive apology. Nor do I agree that it was not prepared in advance. I do agree that he appears to be genuinely remorseful - although whether he is sorry to Aaron Black or just sorry for what he has done to himself and all the people he has let down, I couldn't say for sure.

A better apology would have:

* spelled out what he was apologising way more specifically (not just "for what happened" - e.g. "I'm really sorry I punched Aaron in the face - I didn't mean to, I lost my cool and meant to whack him in the chest but missed and got his face")
    * explained why he acted in the way that he did (without, of course, seeking to justify it)
    * articulated what was so wrong with what he did and how he understands that (e.g. with risks of concussion, CTE etc.)
    * explained why it won't happen again and what steps he is taking to address the causes of his actions
    * offered some more concrete actions he is taking to make things up to Aaron Black.

I suspect the reason he didn't talk more about what happened and why he lashed out was because he was told not to for fear that he might prejudice himself and his hearing before the Tribunal. If that's right, while he is quite entitled to do that and it is quite understandable, it shows that looking after himself was his highest priority. [If you want to draw an analogy with crime, it's a lot like exercising your right to silence with police investigating crime - you're well within your rights but it's not exactly a demonstration of remorse even if you wind up pleading guilty to the charge.] I think while he wasn't reading from a script, he had planned out what he was going to say with input from the lawyers representing him in the Tribunal proceedings (and he may even be looking down at dot points while he is speaking) - and who knows how many takes he did before they arrived at the version that was released days after the events transpired.
    Crikey.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Crikey.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Crikey.
    +2

Not saying I expected a perfect apology, only that I think calling it "very impressive" is overselling it. It wasn't the most compelling demonstration of remorse, and it wasn't that spontaneous. And I particularly thought that only talking repeatedly about "what happened" (not even "what I did") wasn't really owning it.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    A better apology would have . . . .
    I agreed yes - but sadly I can't see such a apology being voiced by any public figure this millennia.

On the other hand, I don't think I heard the weasel word "may" as in "I apologies for any hurt my actions may have caused" - so I guess that's something.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 6th May 2021 at 07:07 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Apparently the round 4 Game against Casey is on Kayo Freebies as per the below from a poster on the Casey thread in the Melbourne section on Big Footy

Casey v Sydney
    Sunday, 9 May. 11:05am
    Casey Fields
    Broadcast: Kayo Freebies

Oh and the next comment on that thread by a Melbourne poster is interesting :

Feels very weird playing a NSW team in the VFL. Last time the Demons played the Swans in the VFL was in the 80's IIRC Then again, they were called the South Melbourne Bloods. Its why I think it should have been renamed the EAFL . I'm probably thinking that if it is successful that there maybe an expansion into the future and probably means almost a US conference-style system.

Also last week we played North Melbourne, this week we are playing a team that was called South Melbourne”

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    VFL Coaches Corner: Round 3
    Laidler provides the report card.
    Fox is the outstanding player that may be promoted promptly.
    Gould had just these words - "20 disposals" - lots of work to do.
    Did he mention why he started McCartin on the forward line? Given his history of concussions playing forward and that he has showed very good form playing CHB, it mystifies me why he started forward. Smacks of lack of common sense. He did this against Gold Coast when Logan didn't appear in the 3rd quarter and went quiet. Goes back in the last quarter and immediately finds the footy.

Veterans List
    Not saying I expected a perfect apology, only that I think calling it "very impressive" is overselling it. It wasn't the most compelling demonstration of remorse, and it wasn't that spontaneous. And I particularly thought that only talking repeatedly about "what happened" (not even "what I did") wasn't really owning it.
    Well, after I watched it, I had a different impression.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Does it still count for Paddy's 5 game suspension?