Page 41 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Best game I've seen from Joel Amartey. Lots of marks and very lively up forward.
    Gould had another good game, he must be getting closer. Ling on the other hand has been heading in the opposite direction.
    Clarke, Taylor and Grey had lots of the ball but didn't scream promotion - Stephens did too and seems closer.
    Sheather too was good.
    Big Sam had some beautifully directed taps to mobile Swans, he took a mark and made a tackle but seemed to do a fair bit of ambling when getting around the ground.
    I've wanted Ling to take that next step, but I can't see any progress that I hoped we would see with an injury free run. Does some great stuff, then does sub-par stuff to go with it. Has to be on shaky ground for getting another contract.

Watching the reserves replay today, again impressed by Sheather. Raw and plenty to work on, but something about him as a footballer.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I've wanted Ling to take that next step, but I can't see any progress that I hoped we would see with an injury free run. Does some great stuff, then does sub-par stuff to go with it. Has to be on shaky ground for getting another contract.

Watching the reserves replay today, again impressed by Sheather. Raw and plenty to work on, but something about him as a footballer.
    How did Logan McDonald play? Is he mounting a strong case for a senior recall?

The Swans may rest Franklin for the trip to Perth. May be a great opportunity to get Logan back into the team in front of family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

The Swans may rest Franklin for the trip to Perth. May be a great opportunity to get Logan back into the team in front of family and friends.
    Purely on form, Amartey seems to be playing better.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: J. Amartey 3, R. Clarke 3, C. Sinclair 2, M. Sheather, L. Taylor, L. McDonald, H. Morrison
    Best Players: L. Taylor, M. Ling, J. Amartey, D. Stephens, M. Sheather, R. Clarke

Collingwood
    Goal Kickers: J. Booth 2, M. Cox 2, L. Mcmahon, W. Kelly, C. Wellings, L. Tardrew
    Best Players: T. Bianco, J. Booth, J. Madgen, C. Wellings, W. Kelly, L. Tardrew

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Matt Ling amongst the best?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 17th May 2021 at 08:39 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Your observation skills need to improve RnR

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

He was OK. He kicked one goal and gave away a couple. Did not get good delivery from the mid-field. They mostly looked at Amartey as their chosen target.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: J. Amartey 3, R. Clarke 3, C. Sinclair 2, M. Sheather, L. Taylor, L. McDonald, H. Morrison
    Best Players: L. Taylor, M. Ling, J. Amartey, D. Stephens, M. Sheather, R. Clarke

Collingwood
    Goal Kickers: J. Booth 2, M. Cox 2, L. Mcmahon, W. Kelly, C. Wellings, L. Tardrew
    Best Players: T. Bianco, J. Booth, J. Madgen, C. Wellings, W. Kelly, L. Tardrew
    What's the source for this? Who picks the best players? Is it a media person or do people from the club have input?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Just as perplexed as you are. I thought he was pretty average, certainly not putting any pressure on our AFL defenders. Having watched all games, Ling has not looked AFL standard. Adam Gulden has been alot better out of defence and he's not even on our AFL list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Just as perplexed as you are. I thought he was pretty average, certainly not putting any pressure on our AFL defenders. Having watched all games, Ling has not looked AFL standard. Adam Gulden has been alot better out of defence and he's not even on our AFL list.
    I wouldn't have picked it either - but the bests lists have always thrown up some interesting choices over the years for the magoos.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Sydney Swans
    I'd also add Gould to that list. Thought he had a pretty decent game. I'm not sold on Clarke. He gets the pill, but his disposal is terrible IMO. Maybe I've the blinkers on and need to be a bit more open-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'd also add Gould to that list. Thought he had a pretty decent game. I'm not sold on Clarke. He gets the pill, but his disposal is terrible IMO. Maybe I've the blinkers on and need to be a bit more open-minded.
    Clarke does not suit the modern game at all, where turnovers are so costly.