Page 11 of 529 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Only ones I care if we keep out of that group are Fox and Naismith. I really don’t see how the others force their way back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    It’s around this time of the year that discussion on whom on the Swans list becomes free agents begins at the end of the season.

I think the following players need to force their way into the senior team and make strong contributions otherwise they will become free agents:

Lewis Taylor
    Ben Ronke
    Robbie Fox
    Sam Gray
    Colin O’Riodan
    Sam Naismith
    I think you may mean that these players fall out of contract and are vulnerable to delisting? The list of players who are currently uncontracted beyond this season is actually much longer than that - see the first post in this thread for a complete list that I think is still up to date. Lewis Taylor is contracted for next season as well.

Some of these players will be free agents but others (e.g. Ronke, COR) will not be free agents unless they are delisted. Some will be delisted to make way for new recruits and others will be retained for depth. Most of the players you have listed have shown that they can come in and play a role at AFL level if required, and we need to have players like that on the list who are willing to stay even though they are not likely to see much senior level game-time. Naismith is a required player if he is fit and in form. There is a big question mark about how and whether Naismith will come back from his ACL. The rest of them are players we can manage without and who are not best 22 if we have no injuries.

Who do you think we should delist - all of those?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think you may mean that these players fall out of contract and are vulnerable to delisting? The list of players who are currently uncontracted beyond this season is actually much longer than that - see the first post in this thread for a complete list that I think is still up to date. Lewis Taylor is contracted for next season as well.

Some of these players will be free agents but others (e.g. Ronke, COR) will not be free agents unless they are delisted. Some will be delisted to make way for new recruits and others will be retained for depth. Most of the players you have listed have shown that they can come in and play a role at AFL level if required, and we need to have players like that on the list who are willing to stay even though they are not likely to see much senior level game-time. Naismith is a required player if he is fit and in form. There is a big question mark about how and whether Naismith will come back from his ACL. The rest of them are players we can manage without and who are not best 22 if we have no injuries.

Who do you think we should delist - all of those?
    I chose to use the word free agent as it’s a fairer word than delisted. Even a delisted player technically can be signed by an opposition club as a delisted free agent.

The fact of the matter is that when a player is delisted they become a free agent as they can are available for alternative employment either inside or outside the AFL industry.

I didn’t know that Taylor was contracted for next year as well.

I think all the above players (exception of Taylor) may be looking for alternative opportunities at the end of the year.

Ronke has been superseded by Wicks

Taylor and Gray have been overtaken on the flanks by younger players of potential.

Ling is not in the team at the moment but you suspect he would be picked before Colin Or.

Naismith has Hickey and Sinclair fit and available to contribute ahead of him while their is support from utilities such as Amerty and McLean.

Fox has to battle Melican, Gould and Brand for a key defensive role.

I think the depth will come from the younger players pushing to be selected.

Read a story in HS today (i received a free hardcopy) about Tom & Paddy McCartin. Tom is loving Sydney and the club and is keen to start negotiations on new contract.

Tom would love to play with his brother Paddy who needs to complete a month of contact training before the AFL will give him final approval to play reserves footy. He should do so before RI on April 17th after having completed a month of non contact training.

The club (Horse) has stated the prime reason Paddy joined their reserves was to give him a chance to shine for prospective AFL suitors to help resurrect his career.

Even though the club has a spot on their senior list, it's not a given they will select Paddy in the midseason draft should he shine as their priority was to give him a 2nd chance. Tom echoed he'd be rapt if his brother played AFL again, more so if were with the Swans.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Read a story in HS today (i received a free hardcopy) about Tom & Paddy McCartin. Tom is loving Sydney and the club and is keen to start negotiations on new contract.

Tom would love to play with his brother Paddy who needs to complete a month of contact training before the AFL will give him final approval to play reserves footy. He should do so before RI on April 17th after having completed a month of non contact training.

The club (Horse) has stated the prime reason Paddy joined their reserves was to give him a chance to shine for prospective AFL suitors to help resurrect his career.

Even though the club has a spot on their senior list, it's not a given they will select Paddy in the midseason draft should he shine as their priority was to give him a 2nd chance. Tom echoed he'd be rapt if his brother played AFL again, more so if were with the Swans.
    Chuckled when I saw ( I received a free hard copy). I'm a bit of a crossword freak and when I have a sit down coffee, I often 'lift the HS crosswords rather than pay Rupert 2.20. Footywise, we really need Tom Mc to sign on. Reckon he will regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Chuckled when I saw ( I received a free hard copy).
    +1

David King claims off field issues were the problem during Aliir Aliir’s time at the Swans.

These comments were in reference to Port Adelaide

“It suits them not to mark the ball”: Does Port have the game's best small forward troop?

“Aliir Aliir has come in and I genuinely hope he can stay the professional package that he is right now today because that’s been the problem across the journey.

“That’s why he’s out of Sydney. The Swans didn’t want to lose him, but there’s been times where they’ve had to sit him down in front of the leadership group and say ‘hey are you living the lifestyle that’s going to make you the best you can be’.

I was very pleased to read the following words from Tom McCsrtin today. It sounds like he is close to re-signing!

"Tom said yesterday talks were underway, with the 21-year-old loving his time in Sydney and aware of the club’s bright future.

“I love Sydney, love the club and hopefully sign something soon. It’s a really exciting group. We are having a talk at the minute and hopefully we will do something soon.

“I love the place and the list and I am excited to see what the group can do in the next couple of years, it’s exciting times.

“I love it down back. I played down back when I was younger and have always had a taste for it which I loved and I was always happy to make the move down back. I played the last four games of last year there and I really enjoyed it.”

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I was very pleased to read the following words from Tom McCsrtin today. It sounds like he is close to re-signing!

"Tom said yesterday talks were underway, with the 21-year-old loving his time in Sydney and aware of the club’s bright future.

“I love Sydney, love the club and hopefully sign something soon. It’s a really exciting group. We are having a talk at the minute and hopefully we will do something soon.

“I love the place and the list and I am excited to see what the group can do in the next couple of years, it’s exciting times.

“I love it down back. I played down back when I was younger and have always had a taste for it which I loved and I was always happy to make the move down back. I played the last four games of last year there and I really enjoyed it.”
    Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Maybe we'll need to think about trading out someone who is surplus to requirements to be able to get what we need by way of tall players (KPPs & ruck). Any suggestions for who should be offered up? Has to be someone with trade currency to make it worth while. I suppose, after his omission from the first 22 on the weekend, Hayward is one name that comes to mind. We can't afford to trade too many of our less young players out because we need their experience. Conversely the youngest players we either want to keep or they have less trade value. It's tricky.
    The trouble with Hayward is he has a long contracted reputed to be $600k a year. Swans would probably need to subsidize

If Haywood is on that much coin then he certainly needs to lift. It reminds me a bit of Rohan. Heaps of potential but never able to consistently deliver despite being well paid. We ended up offloading him to Geelong where he continues to tease. The difference would be that the Cats are not paying him big money. Hopefully, Haywood can start to deliver and repay the faith.

Welcome to Richmond, Jack Ross

I noticed that Jack Ross was Richmonds no23 player again this week.........in the few games I have watched him play I felt he could be a good value player to bring to the Swans and has been in a great system last couple of years playing with the best. Ross has a lot of upside.

If Hayward and or Hewett are targeted by the Crows and we would like another dominant emerging mid he could be a smart acquisition for the future..........it maybe hard for the Tigers to match the $ with their squad?

We will have a fair few older players like Clarke, Squizzy, Gray etc that may be considered surplus in 2022 that would free up some space for a value emerging player.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"