Page 141 of 529 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,692 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm really not trying to bully BS. Strangely enough, I'm having the same reaction to BS that I had with Matt80. I even sent Matt80 a couple of PMs to steer him away from commentary that I knew would bring on a lot of flak. And I'm getting the same kind of feedback from BS that I got from Matt80, who was a big American sports fan, and I think a Tom Brady fan in particular, IIRC.

BS brings a lot of amusement to the forum, so I don't want things to deteriorate like it did with Matt80. It hurts me to see the negative feedback he gets. It's like watching somebody getting stoned; not like Ludwig gets stoned, but in a biblical sense, if you follow my drift.
    Strange coincidence

if the trajectory of the game maintains a movement towards faster footy, more play on, quick exits from contests, less interchange does Luke Parker fit a 5 year contract or a 3 year contract ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Swisha View Post
    In regards to Parker I think he wants 4 years at 700 (2.8m) which will take him to 33. Id offer 6 years at 500 which will take him to 35 years of age (3m). I think he is durable enough and like Buddy if the mind knows that they have a year or two in their contract it will push him to service that contract. Kennedy is at that age now and is still very serviceable Thoughts??
    The two aren't really equivalent for Parker. He's committing himself for an extra two seasons to secure just an extra 200k in total. Every chance that he reckons he can go beyond the end of his next contract. And thus earn more over the remainder of his career.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I’d be cold on Chol. An ok ruckman, a poor forward.
    I assess him the other way around. A decent, though inconsistent, forward. A mediocre ruckman. To me he's a similar mix of player to both Amartey and McLean, albeit with different athletic attributes, particularly compared to McLean. He's probably better than either at the moment, but is also four years older. I don't know how long he's been in the footy development system, so maybe he needs some slack cut as a late developer. But I'd be hoping (expecting) that Amartey and McLean can get to at least Choi's current level within the next season and a bit. And then maybe go beyond. One of them, at least.

Parker at 700k a year for 4 is a bargain. His influence to our team is equivalent to a 1mil / year player, and will only increase when JPK retires.
    Re Dawson, he clearly wants to stay with us and a 2 year deal would be smart play on his behalf. If he continues on his current trajectory, his next contract should be 750k + a year for 4-5 years. Hopefully with us.
    Hewett I would like to keep. His work inside is first rate and will be invaluable as JPK winds down.
    Stephens again would be good to keep, purely on promise, but he's competing in a crowded space.
    Of our unsigned, Reid is the least needed. If we re-signed, wouldn't be surprised to see him clearly surpassed by both Amartey and McLean next year, assuming he's not injured.

Hate to say it, as he is one of my all time favourites, but we might have wasted precious dollars signing JPK prematurely.

Appreciate he wouldn't have signed for a huge amount, but every dollar counts, and I would much rather have extra money to keep Dawson and Parker than worry about Joey going around for one more year when clearly father time has caught up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Hate to say it, as he is one of my all time favourites, but we might have wasted precious dollars signing JPK prematurely.

Appreciate he wouldn't have signed for a huge amount, but every dollar counts, and I would much rather have extra money to keep Dawson and Parker than worry about Joey going around for one more year when clearly father time has caught up with him.
    It can be argued that the club signed Kennedy for 2022 as an insurance policy. Things are obviously tricky in signing Parker so the club secured Kennedy to give some much needed midfield support for the younger players in 2022.

The bigger question to ask is:

Would the Swans have signed Kennedy if they were able secure Parker’s signature early in 2021?

I wouldn't be giving Parker more than 2 years.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

He's played pretty much every game this season until this recent setback (which would be minor - in terms of duration - if not for the unfortunate timing). And while he's not the JPK of last decade, he's still been very handy.

I reckon the speed with which he was re-signed suggests he'll be playing on a low contract. Not just a reduction from his peak year contract but something not much more than minimum.

I think the club has already decided that Hewett can't be fitted into the cap for next year. He's in his peak years, so can't be expected to sign on close to a rookie contract. Securing Kennedy for an extra season thus buys time for our younger brigade to develop a bit more before they are expected to shoulder a "seasoned player" load alongside Parker (fingers crossed) and Mills.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I wouldn't be giving Parker more than 2 years.
    Then you'd need to expect him to walk to another club.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's played pretty much every game this season until this recent setback (which would be minor - in terms of duration - if not for the unfortunate timing). And while he's not the JPK of last decade, he's still been very handy.

I reckon the speed with which he was re-signed suggests he'll be playing on a low contract. Not just a reduction from his peak year contract but something not much more than minimum.

I think the club has already decided that Hewett can't be fitted into the cap for next year. He's in his peak years, so can't be expected to sign on close to a rookie contract. Securing Kennedy for an extra season thus buys time for our younger brigade to develop a bit more before they are expected to shoulder a "seasoned player" load alongside Parker (fingers crossed) and Mills.
    Yep, well said.

Parker contingency plan.

I hope with all my heart that Parker gets signed. The team needs him and it would be a disaster if he doesn’t sign on.

The deal still has to happen.

I thought I would propose one contingency plan if Parker is not signed.

Move Heeney permanently to the midfield and sign on the cheap Adelaide’s Tom Lynch. I’ve always liked Lynch as a mobile, highly skilled medium forward. Could they get Lynch’s body right and get him to play Heeney’s current half forward role? At his best he’s a beautiful field kick into attacking 50. Don Pyke coached him during his best Crows years and may know how to use Tom Lynch creativily

Mills and Heeney have always been destined to run the Swans inside midfield since they emerged as Academy stars in 2014. If Parker leaves it may be the time for that destiny to be realised.