Page 15 of 529 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Injuries will come, Gould and Stephens will get there opportunities. Stephens had an injury pre season . If that didn’t happen he most likely would have started in the ones . We are only 3 rounds in , depth is a great thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just absolutely love the style of footy we are playing right now.

Super high pressure around the ball.

Fast break moving forward footy and looking for an immediate 12 o'clock space from the contest.

Plus beyond all my expectations has been our ability to execute and transition so fast between defence and attack. Simply amazing to watch.

Most pleasing of all has been watching Dawson, Warner, Wicks, Hickey, McCartin etc go to a whole new level.

Warner has doubled his clearance speed........bloody amazing actually his ability to pull away from contests and back himself. He could become our next Parker ie later pick that just manchilds his spot in the team.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP
    Warner is our best young player. Incredible what he is doing in his 3rd 4th 5th game. Has all the makings of being a future Brownlow medalist and top 5 player in the comp. Great drafting

Pushing for Selection
    I wonder if the bloke who recruited Hannebery and Jones to St Kilda still has a job?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by greeng View Post
    I wonder if the bloke who recruited Hannebery and Jones to St Kilda still has a job?
    There was a bit of hand-wringing about trading Jones last year, but there are some insoluble limitations in his game. Warner is a similar kind of player, but looks to have the ability to be a better player. He’s at least as fast, seems to have a superior capacity to break tackles, and better goal sense. The goal on the run yesterday was thrilling.

Really savvy drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    There was a bit of hand-wringing about trading Jones last year, but there are some insoluble limitations in his game. Warner is a similar kind of player, but looks to have the ability to be a better player. He’s at least as fast, seems to have a superior capacity to break tackles, and better goal sense. The goal on the run yesterday was thrilling.

Really savvy drafting.
    Agreed. Warner is a much better luck than either player. That's the key to our new game plan. Kicking strength and precision. I wonder if the club was working to a plan all along with moving these high price but flawed players along.

Veteran Site Admin
    Of all the players we've lost recently, Jones was the one who's departure disappointed me the most. He had his flaws but he offered a speed and acceleration to our otherwise plodding midfield that we'd been missing since Jack's departure (or even Jack's decline).

I'm now firmly in the Zak who? camp. Warner, Rowbottom and Florent now offer that speedy escape from congestion in spades. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Of all the players we've lost recently, Jones was the one who's departure disappointed me the most. He had his flaws but he offered a speed and acceleration to our otherwise plodding midfield that we'd been missing since Jack's departure (or even Jack's decline).

I'm now firmly in the Zak who? camp. Warner, Rowbottom and Florent now offer that speedy escape from congestion in spades. Long may it continue.
    Jones was indisciplined. He gave up so many unnecessary free kicks that destroyed team momentum.

My understanding is that Zac Jones asked to be trading to the Saints as he was keen to be closer to his family. We would have preferred to keep him but he was adamant that he wanted to go. Horse said as much at the time.

We received a second rounder in return (number 32) for Jones which regrettably we used on that Elijah Taylor - enough said on him. As things have transpired, we have injected other pacy players into the midfield since so he was not as big a loss as it could have been. Just a shame that the pick 32 did not work out for us as we have tended to do well with our picks in the 30s over the years.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Jones left because he was determined to go home, and Harley even conceded we all but lost him two years before.

But I remember when he did, and Papley wanted to as well, you looked around and went we're going to be the slowest side to ever play the game.

The transformation since: Blakey, McInerney, Wicks, Campbell, and Stephens would all be quicker than Jones, Florent has become at least his equal this year, Warner is as dynamic (and going to be more explosive), Rowbottom a more rounded midfielder and Gulden a smarter player. Remarkable.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Zak was fast but his biggest down side is his disposal by foot , turns it over way to much . Has a tendency to do soft tissue injuries as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reviewing our picks in the past 9 drafts since our last premiership. See list below. My overall observations are:

1. Our recruiting people have done an excellent job in identifing young talent and bringing them to the Club. Most years we have identified at least two or three who have gone on to be good players for us. Some years it has been four good ones.

2. Our draft performance has been very consistent with selections in the earlier years when we finished higher on the ladder and so receiving lower picks generally comparable to later years when we finished lower. The Academy helps in this regard as does our rookie selections.

3. Some of our picks have gone on to play good football elsewhere eg Membrey, Nankervis, Aliir.

4. The rookie list has been kind to us, especially in those earlier years. We have picked up key players like Papley, Rampe and Lloyd this way.

4. The consistency of our talent identification helps explain the current healthy state of our list. We don't get every one of those picks right but we have a healthy strike rate that would be comparable if not superior to most other teams.

5. Our draft performances in 2018 and 2020 are noteworthy.

Thoughts please.

Dean Towers
    Harrison Marsh
    Tim Membrey
    Matthew Dick
    Harry Cunningham
    Kurt Tippett (pre-season draft)

Rookie

Jake Lloyd
    Xavier Richards
    Dane Rampe
    Daniel Robinson
    Brandon Jack
    Sam Naismith

Zak Jones
    George Hewett
    Toby Nankervis
    Aliir Aliir

Rookie

Patrick Mitchel
    Lloyd Perris

Isaac Heeney
    James Rose
    Jack Hiscox
    Abaina Davis

Rookie

Sean McLaren
    Nic Newman
    Lewis Melican
    Jordan Foote

Callum Mills
    Tyrone Leonardis
    Jordan Dawson

Rookie

Tom Papley
    Harrison Marsh
    Kyle Galloway
    Samuel Murray
    Colin O'Riordan

Oliver Florent
    Will Hayward
    Jack Maibaum
    Darcy Cameron

Rookie
    Ben Ronke
    Robbie Fox
    Shaun Edwards
    Toby Pink

Matthew Ling
    Tom McCartin
    Ryley Stoddart

Rookie
    Angus Styles
    Joel Amartey
    Alex Johnson

Nick Blakey
    James Rowbottom

Justin McInerney

Zac Foot

Rookie

Durak Tucker

Harry Reynolds

Sam Wicks (Category B Rookie)

Dylan Stephens
    Will Gould
    Elijah Taylor
    Chad Warner

Rookie
    Brady Rowles
    Jack Maibaum

Logan McDonald
    Braeden Campbell
    Errol Gulden

Rookie
    Malachy Carruthers
    Last edited by Aprilbr; 4th April 2021 at 01:17 PM.