Page 72 of 529 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So using this as a basis (and happy to be corrected if they have something wrong), suspect our approach on out of contracts should be something like: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-sydney-swans

Definitely Keep At All Costs: Parker, Dawson
    Ideally Want To Keep As Young and Won't Cost a Bucket: Wicks, Amartey, Stephens, McLean.
    Prefer to Keep, at right price: Hewett, Reid, Brand (and maybe Sinclair if his body can do it as insurance and nothing else achieved in trade period)
    Form/attitude/growth between now and end of year may decide: Bell, Ling, O'Riordan, Fox, Gould.
    Definitely see ya later: Clarke, Gray.
    No clue as no insights: Carruthers.
    Agreed pretty much. We need tall timber so keep Reid (reduced money) and Brand.

Need to play COR, Ling and Gould for a few games to decide. If we must, let Ding Dong and Foxy go. Not sure yet about Wicks-another 5-6 games to show a bit more than he has.

We have 3 really tough games coming up, after which we need to rotate a fair bit to assess some of these players as we need to know a bit more in order to decide to trade or delist. Tough job for our list managers!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Ollie has been more consistent this year and has great elusive skills. In our best 22 for sure and a definite must keep at this stage. Also think there is still a lot of upside with Ollie: needs work on his distribution but goal kicking is elite.
    Thats it though , just some nice footwork and the occasional important goal

Hes good but will be 23 next year, needs to show he can be better than what he is because if we are serious about winning a premiership you dont do it with guys like him on his current output in your midfield

Got a year and a half left to prove himself before hes off contract. Hope he can.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Thats it though , just some nice footwork and the occasional important goal

Hes good but will be 23 next year, needs to show he can be better than what he is because if we are serious about winning a premiership you dont do it with guys like him on his current output in your midfield

Got a year and a half left to prove himself before hes off contract. Hope he can.
    Ollie is one of our most consistent performers this year and probably top 3 in the BnF count currently.
    He's increased his quality of disposals and is getting back to help out in defence regularly. Given he's 22, he is trending very nicely for a player that turned up rather light in stature. I don't think your assessment of him is even close to accurate.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries

HAVE PATIENCE

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Ollie is one of our most consistent performers this year and probably top 3 in the BnF count currently.
    He's increased his quality of disposals and is getting back to help out in defence regularly. Given he's 22, he is trending very nicely for a player that turned up rather light in stature. I don't think your assessment of him is even close to accurate.
    PEOPLE.....Sucess comes over time, not instantly.

Those who know best will guide us there....eventually.

Ollie is but one example of where we are headed...eventually.

Senior Player
    Ollie has been more consistent this year and has great elusive skills. In our best 22 for sure and a definite must keep at this stage. Also think there is still a lot of upside with Ollie: needs work on his distribution but goal kicking is elite.
    Florent looks settled in the club and maturing as a leader.

Senior Player
    Agreed pretty much. We need tall timber so keep Reid (reduced money) and Brand.

Need to play COR, Ling and Gould for a few games to decide. If we must, let Ding Dong and Foxy go. Not sure yet about Wicks-another 5-6 games to show a bit more than he has.

We have 3 really tough games coming up, after which we need to rotate a fair bit to assess some of these players as we need to know a bit more in order to decide to trade or delist. Tough job for our list managers!
    Reid has become a liability physically. On ability, he would stay but he is unavailable far too often. Coach loves him but surely it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Reid has become a liability physically. On ability, he would stay but he is unavailable far too often. Coach loves him but surely it's time.
    I think both Amartey and McLean have shown enough to suggest we only give Reid another contract strictly on the club's terms. At this stage, 12 month contracts on minimal money. If he can do better elsewhere, good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I think both Amartey and McLean have shown enough to suggest we only give Reid another contract strictly on the club's terms. At this stage, 12 month contracts on minimal money. If he can do better elsewhere, good luck to him.
    We may only get half a season from Reid from here on. But he is still value a so his contract should reflect this. Amartey and McLean are still raw and it helps to have Sam around. I don’t want to lose him, despite his limitations.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I didn't realise how much George Hewett was shopped around last year. And it sounds like the Swans will want to get him off the list this year if they can.
    There's been several occasions this year when I have been puzzled about the non-use of George as a stopper. Not just at the start of games, but more when things were going wrong and we were facing defeat. Against Freo, when Fyfe moved into the middle and began to take us apart, then against the Hawks Mitchell was a problem and Horse went with other options to curb his influence.
    I'm reminded of what Liz said about Clarkson not using Buddy in his last year because they were planning for a post-Franklin club.

He is also our very best rover, reads taps extremely well.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 23rd June 2021 at 08:51 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    No other club would touch him given his history. Sadly both he and his brother are too physically fragile. With the money we've paid him and with his history of unavailability, if he stays, he should play for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    There's been several occasions this year when I have been puzzled about the non-use of George as a stopper.
    I think we would like George as a midfield tagger, but that would mean moving someone out of the midfield. Mills has effectively replaced George in the midfield. We are trying George as a defender, but he doesn't have anything close to Mills' ability as a defender. It's a bit of a dilemma with what to do with George, despite him being a very good players. There's a bit of a glut of inside mids in the AFL at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think we would like George as a midfield tagger, but that would mean moving someone out of the midfield. Mills has effectively replaced George in the midfield. We are trying George as a defender, but he doesn't have anything close to Mills' ability as a defender. It's a bit of a dilemma with what to do with George, despite him being a very good players. There's a bit of a glut of inside mids in the AFL at the moment.
    George is a good player but seems the odd one out. Port have Rockliff to retire, could be a good trade for Hayes or even Ladhams.