Page 73 of 529 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I don't think George would be a massive loss to us. He is of very limited trade value as not a star by any measure just a solid performer. As a restricted free agent, we would only get a second or third round pick in return. This is because he will not command the big contract that would enable a better pick than this.

I'd have Hewett in the midfield as a genuine tagger - he is good enough at it that he wins his own footy, and then rotate Parker and Kennedy through the forward line, so at any time only one of them is in the midfield with Hewett and Mills

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I'd have Hewett in the midfield as a genuine tagger - he is good enough at it that he wins his own footy, and then rotate Parker and Kennedy through the forward line, so at any time only one of them is in the midfield with Hewett and Mills
    I would keep him. Kennedy probably has one year left and Parker is approaching 30 as well. Proven hard nut inside mid fielder.

That all sounds fine but he's dropped off our midfield rotation. Parker and JPK are locks for our inside positions. So who of Mills, Warner, Rowbotton and even Ollie misses out for Hewett. And don't forget Stephens, who was drafted as a hybrid inside / outside midfielder. If JPK and Parker played forward more, it would be as medium forwards, which is a crowded space already with Heeney, Wilbur and Blakey as our options there. Even as a tagger, Horse has shown he more favours Rowbotton for this role. So you can see why Hewett was shipped around and likely to be again as there really isn't any spot for him in the midfield in the opinion of Horse.

GW$ use de Boer as a tagger starting outside the centre square and that seemed to work ok against Walsh. I could see him playing that sort of role.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    That all sounds fine but he's dropped off our midfield rotation. Parker and JPK are locks for our inside positions. So who of Mills, Warner, Rowbotton and even Ollie misses out for Hewett. And don't forget Stephens, who was drafted as a hybrid inside / outside midfielder. If JPK and Parker played forward more, it would be as medium forwards, which is a crowded space already with Heeney, Wilbur and Blakey as our options there. Even as a tagger, Horse has shown he more favours Rowbotton for this role. So you can see why Hewett was shipped around and likely to be again as there really isn't any spot for him in the midfield in the opinion of Horse.
    Yes he is a fine player but fine players wont help us get up the ladder we need quality players and trading hewett can help us secure that

Happy to see George go. With JPK going around again + Parker, we need to give opportunities to our young midfielders so that we can push for our next premiership.

Senior Player
    The lack of respect for Hewett and what he brings to the side is breathtaking

He's not a bonafide A grade star, you can't have 22 of them, but he has great footskills, is an effective tagger, and can win his own ball as a midfielder when given the chance.

He's being completely misutilised by Longmire in the backline this season, and hasn't ever had a great run on ball without the tagging role.

He may not be a shiny new draftee, but we are a stronger team with him in the 22 than outside of it

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    The lack of respect for Hewett and what he brings to the side is breathtaking

He's not a bonafide A grade star, you can't have 22 of them, but he has great footskills, is an effective tagger, and can win his own ball as a midfielder when given the chance.

He's being completely misutilised by Longmire in the backline this season, and hasn't ever had a great run on ball without the tagging role.

He may not be a shiny new draftee, but we are a stronger team with him in the 22 than outside of it
    Agree, many on here underselling George, best 22 every week for mine.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think we would like George as a midfield tagger, but that would mean moving someone out of the midfield. Mills has effectively replaced George in the midfield. We are trying George as a defender, but he doesn't have anything close to Mills' ability as a defender. It's a bit of a dilemma with what to do with George, despite him being a very good players. There's a bit of a glut of inside mids in the AFL at the moment.
    I see what you're saying, and I love the attempt by the Swans to have a more attacking midfield. But his non-use during games when things are going wrong is the big head scratcher for me.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    agree Georgie is a keep

There are lots of possible explanations for Hewett being played in defence

1. Our midfield was too slow with him, JPK and Parker.
    2. To make way for Mills who offers more.
    3. To add maturity to our backline
    4. To give development opportunities to Le Chad and RB
    5. he has told them he’s going at the end of the year?