Page 108 of 529 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,285 to 1,296 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

One crucial point Tom Morris mentioned is that the AFL hasn't yet announced next year's TPP. This might be the holdup in current contract negotiations if our Salary Cap is a tight squeeze as reported. Hope out of contract players will be willing to make small financial sacrifices to keep the playing group together, particularly given the exciting trajectory we're on & taking covid situation into consideration (losing staff due to soft cap reduction).

Players seem very close, so hope this also counts for much.

I'm somewhat surprised we're in a Cap Squeeze given we haven't recruited any high profile players in a while & having offloaded players like Allir, Rohan, Zak Jones, Hannebery, Mitchell & Tippett over the same period. Buddy only has 1 year left on his multi million contract, so surely that would also provide room to back end new contracts in the short term?
    Last edited by KSAS; 3rd August 2021 at 03:31 AM.

Senior Player
    It'd be a pity to lose Parker, but if the gap is 200K PA and he wants a four or five year deal and the club wants to give him three
    then you can see how it turns into a million or so all up. My understanding is he is currently our second highest paid player.
    Other clubs are going to start coming for our younger brigade in a year or two. The club needs some money in the kitty.
    Last edited by KTigers; 3rd August 2021 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    One crucial point Tom Morris mentioned is that the AFL hasn't yet announced next year's TPP. This might be the holdup in current contract negotiations if our Salary Cap is a tight squeeze as reported. Hope out of contract players will be willing to make small financial sacrifices to keep the playing group together, particularly given the exciting trajectory we're on & taking covid situation into consideration (losing staff due to soft cap reduction).

Players seem very close, so hope this also counts for much.

I'm somewhat surprised we're in a Cap Squeeze given we haven't recruited any high profile players in a while & having offloaded players like Allir, Rohan, Zak Jones, Hannebery, Mitchell & Tippett over the same period. Buddy only has 1 year left on his multi million contract, so surely that would also provide room to back end new contracts in the short term?
    Tend to agree with this comment. This is the last year Franklin is on massive money; his drop in payments next year is the difference of another solid contract. Likewise, we could move out a few players who’ll never get another game for us, short of a major injury crisis. That, and the fact that the TPP is as-yet unknown, leads me to think that it’s all a bit of a journalistic fishing expedition.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It'd be a pity to lose Parker, but if the gap is 200K PA and he wants a four or five year deal and the club wants to give him three
    then you can see how it turns into a million or so all up. My understanding is he is currently our second highest paid player.
    Other clubs are going to start coming for our younger brigade in a year or two. The club needs some money in the kitty.
    Wow. Just listened to the Tom Morris.

My view:

- Hewitt will go. Late 2nd rounder as compensation.

- Club will probably need to make a choice between Parker or Dawson.

- I can’t blame Parker for wanting more money. He has a family and it’s his last chance at a great pay day. Maybe paying him what he deserves will upset too many other moving parts

- If you lose Parker and Hewitt from that centre square then a think Stephens will stay. You would also be able to pay Dawson if Hewitt and Parker left. A wing spot will become more open at the Swans for Stephen’s as you will probably have to redeploy J-Mac and Dawson to more centre square inside players.

You could possibly get a late 1st rounder as compensation for Parker.

This is hardly ideal and distressing for Swans fans.

Maybe this is the year that the Premiership has to come. Without Parker, the team will dip in 2022 as younger midfielders such as Chad, Dawson, Florent and J-Mac adjust to being centre square midfielders. A fit Rowbottom could also be valuable.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I suspect if we have challenges re the cap it’s partly the unknown of the TPP, but also what’s over the horizon.

Here’s who is out of contract in 2022 (I think): Heeney, Lloyd, Rampe, Gulden, Campbell, McInerney, McDonald. (That obviously doesn’t include the likes of Buddy, JPK, Naismith or Taylor likely to go out).

Then Mills, McCartin, Papley and Warner in 2023.

That is a lot of talent and pay claims to juggle.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    I would keep Dawson over Parker. I love Luke like everyone does, but Jordan has four more years of footy in him compared to Parks. Also
    players like Jordan are very rare. He did another of those outrageous cross country 50M lasers on Sunday. Those kicks are undefendable and
    hardly anyone can do them. They are the extra goal you need in a tight game on a log jammed ladder. He's as good now as Zac Williams
    was at GWS and Williams apparently got a $4.8M/6 year deal. Williams has the run, and Jordan has the kicking and marking skills.
    Hopefully he will stay for a bit less, but he is a very valuable and unique player.
    Last edited by KTigers; 3rd August 2021 at 09:25 AM.

Veterans List
    Tom Morris with the Swans sky is falling story - which club does have money in the cap to be chasing players given the TPP went down and not it's usual up?

Only bottom of the table sides like
    Adelaide, who are a danger to us with Dawson, Gould and Stephens although those three are country boys with parental homes 4 hours away from Adelaide

Hawks not an attractive club at present but have cap you'd think and a superstar coach starting next year!

Norf may have $ given they had a big clean out last year and have shown a penchant for throwing big contract offers in front of other clubs very good players

Then it's clubs who probably won't be chasing other clubs better players

Gold Coast have a bursting cap but the AFL will help them because they are projecting back into basket case territory

Pies hahahahahahaha

Carlton and Saints should be groaning under the weight of imported players

Essendon got cap space? and looking attractive on field now

GWS haven't got space unless Kelly doesn't take up his 8 x $1mill contract extension

Then we get to Richmond who always seem to find cap space, princes and paupers model I call it

Once you get to finalists, none should have cap space unless they have a clean out of older players. Geelong don't have a TPP!

So, we will no doubt be tight on TPP, but we are a very attractive place to play footy at present so like a lot of successful clubs, players aren't jumping ship to a rebuilding side for a few dollars more.

We'll use our usual TPP management tool of having minimum players on the main list and making up the numbers in rookies which has worked nicely in the past. Suspect the early resignings of Sheather, Amartey etc was to lock in needed cheaper players first. Paddy McCartin wouldn't be expensive

Buddy drops half a mill next season which is handy BUT that may have already been factored into longer contracts signed some time ago.

On individual players mentioned by Tom Morris,

Parker I couldn't see leaving unless it was to GC under generous AFL sponsorship and he's just the type of leader/player they desperately need

Dawson has added more money to his contract in recent months, will get a big offer from Adelaide but they look like long term rebuilders, we'll need to stump up more than we thought

Hewett would be a loss but may have a current contract size that doesn't fit our new world

Stephens could be a target for Adelaide but let's be honest, he hasn't shown that much in his senior appearances, Serong has :-( Gould may also be an Adelaide target. These are two players we could lose for not much

Suspect we'll have to clean out anyone who is now not best 27/28 and not showing a certain senior trajectory. Brand, Clarke, Gray, Ronke are gone, even Sinkers and COR if we were desperate for the $. Taylor saved only by the last year of a three year contract. After that we'd be cutting players we wouldn't want to lose.

We just have to trust the club to retain who we want and do their usual clever list management and hope that Tom Morris isn't right!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I would keep Dawson over Parker. I love Luke like everyone does, but Jordan has four more years of footy in him compared to Parks. Also
    players like Jordan are very rare. He did another of those outrageous cross country 50M lasers on Sunday. Those kicks are undefendable and
    hardly anyone can do them. They are the extra goal you need in a tight game on a log jammed ladder. He's as good now as Zac Williams
    was at GWS and Williams apparently got a $4.8M/6 year deal. Williams has the run, and Jordan has the kicking and marking skills.
    Hopefully he will stay for a bit less, but he is a very valuable and unique player.
    I don’t get how other top clubs can pay significantly more for any of our players than we can? Surely their salary cap situation would be similar. Sure, we have Buddy’s massive contract for 1 more year, but that has to be manageable now and stars at other clubs would not be that much behind. Only the lower clubs may have the salary space and why would our guys want to go there, when we have chances for flags coming up? I’d be very disappointed if we lose any of the players being mentioned- we lost too many in the past.

Senior Player
    I think this list is fairly up to date in regards to player contracts for this year.
    It contains some names that I suspect we won’t see in a Swans jumper again after this season. The one interesting decision to me is all of Naismith Amartey Reid and Sinclair are out of contract and given our ruck stocks need replenishing do we keep one two or three of them. I think Reid offers the most currently but Amartey has some definite upside.
    Sorry But I don’t see a future for Naismith and Sinkers , Callum deserves to be remembered as a value for money toiler who filled a gap for us but at his age maybe doesn’t have a future role in this team.
    My priorities from those on the list are Dawson , Parker , McCartin and Fox and then one or both of Reid and Amartey
    No one else jumps out as someone who we should keep apart from potentially O’Riordan
    Or am I stretching the budget to thin?
    Sydney Swans News | AFL 2021 | Zero Hanger

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I think this list is fairly up to date in regards to player contracts for this year.
    It contains some names that I suspect we won’t see in a Swans jumper again after this season. The one interesting decision to me is all of Naismith Amartey Reid and Sinclair are out of contract and given our ruck stocks need replenishing do we keep one two or three of them. I think Reid offers the most currently but Amartey has some definite upside.
    Sorry But I don’t see a future for Naismith and Sinkers , Callum deserves to be remembered as a value for money toiler who filled a gap for us but at his age maybe doesn’t have a future role in this team.
    My priorities from those on the list are Dawson , Parker , McCartin and Fox and then one or both of Reid and Amartey
    No one else jumps out as someone who we should keep apart from potentially O’Riordan
    Or am I stretching the budget to thin?
    Sydney Swans News | AFL 2021 | Zero Hanger
    McCartin and Amartey recently extended for two years each
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I don’t get how other top clubs can pay significantly more for any of our players than we can? Surely their salary cap situation would be similar. Sure, we have Buddy’s massive contract for 1 more year, but that has to be manageable now and stars at other clubs would not be that much behind. Only the lower clubs may have the salary space and why would our guys want to go there, when we have chances for flags coming up? I’d be very disappointed if we lose any of the players being mentioned- we lost too many in the past.
    Buddy’s contract next year is less than many other clubs’ stars. It’s about 40% less than this year.
    Given the possibility of playing finals and a premiership with Sydney in the immediate future, I’d be very surprised if any of these players left to go to a bottom team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Geez mate, would you easy up?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Ok. Understand your reaction, but it is too early to write Stephens off and call the that draft a bust. Similarities to Mcveigh with his light build and will improve as he gets stronger IMO. By the way, there are many more posters on here that need to to be told to ease up, especially the two clowns who have hijacked the site.